Employment contract - custom and practice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this - so forgive me if it is wrong. I work in the civil service and have been "temporary promoted" to the next managerial grade for two years, but my work are currently having a re-shuffle and the likelihood is that I'll be put back to the lower grade soon. The job I'm doing was advertised last year, and despite me applying they then pulled the advert because of the planned re-shuffle which has taken a year to do! Can they remove the "temporary" promotion, as I'm not sure whether custom and practice would kick in giving the time I've spent at the higher grade. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Hello there and welcome to CAG. You're in exactly the right place, don't worry.

On the other hand, I've arrived first and I can't answer your questions I'm afraid. One of our gurus will be along soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, have you checked out the ACAS and directgov websites? They should have information on this.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes they can remove the temporary promotion. Custom and practice is not applicable to duties which are specified as temporary such as TDA roles in the civil service.

Custom and practice refers to terms of the contract which have been implied in some way - matters which have never been formally agreed but of which has become part of the contract, where the "customs" arising from the employment are "practiced", i.e; if you have a christmas bonus every year but this is not formally agreed to, this would be custom and practice.

TDA is a temporary role, it is specified and agreed as such that these duties will be performed for a temporary period, and you will be renumerated for it accordingly. When TDA comes to an end it is part of the agreement that you will be able to return to your former role.

This will be outlined in far more detail in the TDA policy of your department.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks ErikaPNP - you obviously know your stuff about TDA. Is this also the case where the whole process was messed up - there was never a real business case for the TDA, and the one that was put together mentioned 6 months. When that business case finished, my TDA has just continued and has done for 18 months. There is no specified and agreed end date to my long-term TDA. In the guidance in my department, it mentioned that TDA should not continue over two years because of the threat of legal action - what does this mean?