• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mechanic Liability?

honehe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thanks guys I will try the astro van forum and see if there is anyone near me who can help with this. I've tried to contact him to get my van keys and head back, but he won't answer his phone or reply to my text messages. I know he can't hold on to my property because I have paid him in full for the work he has carried out, but I will keep trying him and if not, then a call to the cops should solve that part of it! MANY MANY THANKS GUYS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR, good to know there are some nice people out there!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HF which forum are you a member of?

If I told you I would have to.......

You know what I'm saying;)

Lets just say I wish not to disclose that info as my profile on there is a lot more forgiving on there than it will ever be on here due to the potential audience:wink::wink::wink:

Eventually got a text from the mobile mechanic after trying since last night to get him to make arrangements to bring my vehicle keys and head back. He claims now that I am harassing him, which I wouldn't be doing if he returned my calls! He now says that he is withdrawing from working on my vehicle altogether, surely this is breach of contract? He was engaged to do an engine strip down and rebuild and that was the agreement we came to from the outset.

To be honest I wouldn't want him doing anymore work on it, but can he just dump the job before it's completed?

I seriously think that this is a blessing in disguise.

I wouldn't want someone with this level of competence putting air in my tyres let alone doing a strip down and engine rebuild.

Finding someone that will take on the job may be very difficult now.

I personally would be looking for prices on a replacement engine so that it can be fitted complete and then either sell yours for spares or repair OR keep it and gradually have it rebuilt to the highest spec your money can stretch to.

Just think positive about the route you wish to take regarding your vehicle, don't let someones incompetence allow you to lose interest - just keep thinking "bigger and Better":D

honehe can you get to his house, or wherever he has you parts stored, and pick them and the keys up?

Is it just the heads that he has or are there some ancillory parts or anything else that is part of the van in his possession?

I am thinking that he might not have done anything to the head 'and you need to know' and have everything returned.

Do you think that you have had value for the £1,500 you have given him or is there still work to be done that you have paid for ie; does he owe you any of the payment back if he stops work now?

Edited by Conniff

I've been paying for the labour as we went along, so I don't think he owes me anything back. I did give him £100 for overhaul of the head (labour charges) but I don't know if he has done it. He said he will post my keys to me, and I did tell him that I needed the head, but again no contact! My van is now in a worse state than when he started as everything has been ripped out from the engine compartment. My next move is to get the engine assessed by someone to see if it can be salvaged, may be cheaper to fix the internals (as long as the block is okay) then to fork out for another engine. I'm still looking for a another cheap used engine but can't seem to find one in the UK. He said it was my fault for buying an american vehicle. I have told him that I will be going to Trading standards, the environmental protection agency (venting the air con) and will also be taking legal advice. I'm not going to let him get away with it. But my priority is getting it sorted. I have emailed an engineering company down here who do up engines and have asked if they can take a look at it, just waiting on a reply.

If anyone knows of anyone that can check it over for me, I would be really grateful.

Thanks again for all your help and support guys!

Do you know where your keys and head are or do you know anyone that knows where he does his work from?

I would refuse the postal offer because you want the items back. Does he mean he'll post them through your door personally or is he going to use the famous Royal FAIL! INSIST that you will collect them:thumbsup

Your fault that you bought an American van? what is that supposed to mean and why is it relevant???

I think the sooner you get your items back and punch his lights out;) the better:D

honehe give cornwall engine company in cardrew industrial estate a call, they are on the outskirts of redruth and are trustworthy, they will also come and collect the engine, i have had a number of engines and cylinder heads done by them and never had a problem

Do you know where your keys and head are or do you know anyone that knows where he does his work from?

I would refuse the postal offer because you want the items back. Does he mean he'll post them through your door personally or is he going to use the famous Royal FAIL! INSIST that you will collect them:thumbsup

Your fault that you bought an American van? what is that supposed to mean and why is it relevant???

I think the sooner you get your items back and punch his lights out;) the better:D

I was already thinking about that because they are my only set of keys and he did say in his text that he would return them at HIS convenience. I have his home address and he has a website with another address that I assume is his workshop. I'm dubious to go and pick them up from him because he could accuse me of something, so I may take a mate with me. He knows where I work and I did say he could drop them off there, but he's being funny about it all and that basically it will be when he has time, god knows when that will be. I need my keys because the vehicle paperwork is inside and I can't get the vin number. How long should I wait before calling the cops to get my property back?

honehe give cornwall engine company in cardrew industrial estate a call, they are on the outskirts of redruth and are trustworthy, they will also come and collect the engine, i have had a number of engines and cylinder heads done by them and never had a problem

Thanks for that Boro, that is the company I have already contacted and just waiting for a reply. good to know that they are reliable, thank you. Puts my mind at rest a bit!:oops:

don't think it would be right of me to pass on his website details. I don't wanna give him any reason to accuse me of harassment or slander or anything. Problem with this guy is he is fairly young and as soon as you complain about something he goes into what can only be described as a tantrum and gets bull headed and difficult. I'm being very careful to ensure I deal with him in a calm and fair way so he has no recourse on me. I am worried that he may say he has sent my keys and then just blame the postal service when they don't show up. I have sent him a text tonight to ask him not to post them and that I will pick them up at a convenient time. I have a feeling that what is convenient for him will be an inconvenience to me! I can't do much without getting the vin number for my vehicle and I imagine he is going to act like the spoilt brat he is and make me wait!

Report your stuff stolen and get it back as soon as! The longer you leave it the more chance there is of not seeing your items.

At least if the Police are involved then YOU cannot be seen as harrassing him.

If it was me I would be on the phone in the morning!

Just think what a ballache it will be having no keys for your van that has no engine and all the documentation inside.

If you start turning up with mates then THAT most definitely will only give off one impression and no doubt arm him when HE calls the Police

being ex military police, i know exactly what they will say. they will expect me to give him a reasonable time to return my items. Its not theft unless he doesn't intend to return them or damages them on purpose, but I can ring them and give them the heads up I suppose just in case I don't get them back! I have quite a few mates in the civvy bill so I will touch base with one of them tomorrow and see what he suggests. Don't know why I'm protecting this guy therefore, you should all know to avoid R.W. Motors in Cornwall!

Well despite me asking him not too, the mechanic has posted my keys to me! So I doubt if I will see them again anytime soon. On a lighter note, a local garage is going to take a look at the engine for me free of charge, which really touched me at their kindness. Another mobile mechanic I know is going to transport the engine to the garage for me and only charge me for the diesel and not per mile as he usually charges people. He is also going to get some friends together and put my van back together for me! I'm close to tears when I think about how these people are going out of their way to help me after everything that has gone on. I guess angels come in all shapes and sizes!

I did contact Cornwall engineering company and the guy asked me what the mechanics name was, I twigged then that this guy was a mate of his cos I recognised the name, and am not surprised that they haven't got back to me, I expect his loyalty must lie with his mate. Oh well, when a door closes.....etc.

Anyway everyone, THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT AND HELP. If any of you ever need a favour let me know (obviously I'm not mechanically skilled though! lol). Will let you know how it all pans out guys. :rolleyes:

Well guys, just a quick update. I have managed to source a new engine as my crank shaft was bent up on the dropped one. Got it for a really good price too, which is a blessing. A mobile mechanic mate of mine is going to get a few people together and sort it out for me at mates rates, which is fantastic. He had a look at what the other guy left and he is appauled at the state he has left the engine and engine compartment in. Apparently, this guy has removed things that weren't necessary. So I am going to photograph everything and hopefully I can claim back the costs of unnecessary work on the van.

I have been in touch with trading standards and they have told me what I need to put in a letter to him to get my money back for the damage. They also said that if he has posted the keys and they go missing then he has not dealt with them with reasonable care and I can recoup the costs of sourcing new keys or having all the locks changed. So it looks like him trying to make things difficult for me is backfiring on him! I'm a lot more optimistic about everything now and a lot happier. I will let you know what happens eventually with this and hopefully before long I will be motoring!:D

Make sure you keep us informed and jump back on if you require any assistance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donations to the Consumer Action Group have fallen to a dangerous level.

You can help raise funds by installing this Toolbar which will help Cag and cost you nothing.

Please keep this valuable Forum going by downloading the Toobar.

You can read more here - Please Help Us

Thanks for your support everyone will let you know what happens! I need a van for my paranormal research equipment and that's the only reason I got this cos it transports all my equipment and the guys in the team and also I can go abroad with it, which was my plan til it all went belly up! lol. But I could do with a holiday though and when it's fixed I would probably park by a beach somewhere and get the bbq going! lol. Oh and I'm a girl!!!!! :wink:xx

Being a girl, (I won't ask you to post a picture), can make a great deal of difference. I used to have ladies come to me for clarification and quotes from what they had been told at other garages, and some of the stories were unbelievable and just down right conn jobs and all because the customer was a 'what would you know' lady.

It's nice to see you are getting stuck into this and taking charge.

• 4 weeks later...

is there anywhere that I can get a better manual than the haynes one I have to identify where everything should go back on my chevrolet astro engine compartment? the old mechanic has broken a couple of things on the engine heads and I need to replace them but myself and the other mechanic helping have no idea what these little parts are for. I need something that shows plenty of pictures of where everything is and how it all goes back together. My engine is virtually rebuilt now but not knowing what these sensors and parts are for is causing me a delay in getting it all up and running again. Can anyone suggest a suitable reference material to help me please? Thanks

That's excellant news that you're making good progress honehe. Best bet is to try e bay US. There is a company there like Haynes here that does manuals.

In the mean time if you could post some piccies of the bits you're having trouble with some of us might be able to help.

For starters a copper coloured one will usually be a temp sensor. A black one is usually a proximaty sensor so should give you a bit more of a clue.