Jump to content

Council Tax Arrears

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I am wondering if you can help. I received a letter today from a debt collector requesting money for fife council at an adress I lived at about 7 or more years ago.


A few years back I paid a council tax debt to a debt collector but I no longer have any information apart from a bank statement showing payments to the named debt collector. The debt collector is a different company this time but they have included very little information so I can't tell if this is for the same debt.


If it is for a different debt I have never received any previous correspondence prior to this. In the letter I have received today they give me the principal sum and the address it relates to however there is no invoice start date or end date. They say they have been instructed by the council to recover etc... It then says the Sheriff Court has granted a Summary warrant for debt and then it gives details of where to pay - should I not have received something previously about a summary warrant?


I'm not sure if this is a [problem] by a company to try to claim what the council have already received or if it is legitimate. I would have thought they would be required to provide further information on this. Can you advise what next steps I should take?


Many thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Zof and welcome to CAG.


I have moved you to a thread of your own.


A summary warrant is issued if you fail to pay the council tax after two reminders have been issued. There is no court case as such as these are just granted by the court. It does normally state the rent year on this.


The first thing to do is to try and make a payment arrangment with them. Write to them, incouding a copy of and income and expenditure sheet making offer of payment. This will stop them taking any further enforcement actions.


If you wish to dispute it there a few things. The council or the company, who will normally be sheriff officers, can tell you the rent periods and the council would be able to tell you who you previously paid money too and for what periods this covered.


This can be done at your local office or you can do this in writing.


Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...