problems with a private registration plate help!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I hope someone can help,

My dad bought a motorbike 10 days ago from a private seller which still had its private number plate on it, the seller explained he would send all the docs to the dvla to get a new log book with the original plate number.

The seller has now called saying the dvla want to inspect the vehicle

to check all the numbers match up and my dad and the seller will both have to go to the inspection centre.

The problem is, the seller has said my dad will have no choice as to which centre and the date and time it will happen, my dad will just have to turn up when told to, but he works full time and has been told the centre to take it to is over 2 hours away.

Is this the case or is my dad entitled to stipulate the date and location which is conveinient to him?

Does your dad have a receipt for the purchase of the bike? If so, he is doing the guy a favour by lettign him transfer the plate off teh bike after the purchase date.

If there is nothing in the paperwork that stipulated that your dad agreed to the plate transfer then, if he wants, your dad can simply tell him to forget it and that he will apply to the DVLA in his own right to obtain a new V5 with the existing plate on it and keep it. Even if the receipt stated that you agreed to the seller keeping the plate, then at the very least it has to be at your dad's convenience. As your dad now has teh bile in his possession, I suspect that when he doesn't turn up with the bike at the appointed inspection station, then the DVLA will simply notify the seller that they will not action the plate transfer.

Unless he agreed to meet the seller's terms, he is under no obligation to provide or deliver the bike to any inspection. It would not be reasonable for him to stipulate how/when/where as DVLA don't work this way, BUT if he needs to take time off work, then he is entitled to his costs/losses to be met by the seller.

If he does;nt agree, he'll lose the right to his plate, and can go whistle, so he's very much at a disadvantage, so cannot come on heavy if he wants to retain it. £50 for the time/effort plus any loss of earnings for the AM or PM and petrol is a fair compromise.

The DVLA make it very clear that the donor vehicle must not be transferred away from the transferer as an inspection may be required.

Even if the seller wrote anything into the receipt about the transfer, then it may still fail if DVLA discover that the donor vehicle no longer belongs to the person who signed the transfer paperwork.

The 'correct' way for this to happen now is for your Dad to get hold of all the documentation and place the VRM onto retention. He can then let the seller have the retention certificate once your Dad's full costs havbe been paid.