• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Full & Final Settlement offer advice on how to clear asap

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BD,

I am not quoting "irrelevant generalities and acadaemic dicussion on the finer points of law", on the contrary, the points I raise are all very valid and relevant. If you don't know the answer then just say "I don't know the answer"!! No shame in that, but don't present what I am saying as (i) advice to panther to intitiate court action or (ii) idiotic and also please don't post as if the strategy you outline is the only one out there. I am very happy for you (genuinely) that you have had success with your debts.

For the record, I have had success with having all of my debts (nearly £100k total with numerous creditors) paid off by 3rd party cheque and have had no creditor come after me in any meaningful way despite paying them in this way quite some time ago. Nor do I expect them to, they are perfectly aware of the error of their ways and where it leaves them legally. I won't go into further detail by showing all of the replies from the various creditors but these serve to illustrate my claim here, suffice to say as does their failure to pursue me after such a long period of time. I have even had a number of the entries at the CRAs deleted.

Further, the amounts paid have been a fraction (i.e. significantly less than 35-50%) of the amount claimed by them. So I have been extremely successful with my own approach. I don't however claim that this gives me authority to dictate what is the best approach to all on this site nor do I feel that means I have to stop exploring further options or areas of law that relate to my issues.

Panther can do whatever he/she wants and doing nothing at this juncture is certainly a very good and workable option but I don't see at all why this has to kill a discussion on where such situations leave one in legally and what options are available to all.

well my apologies sequenci but also thanks! Appreciate you looking into this.

and Victoria, totally agreed, argument is good if it highlights any useful issues! If nothing else, it may simply back up BD's argument about it being best to sit back and let the (ex) creditors chase. I don't necessarily dispute this but just feel it is in everyone's favour if we can thoroughly scrutinise the rationale and relevant tenets of law.

haha I think you've forgotten more than I ever learnt :lol:

S.

Oh it's all in there somewhere, it's just that my recent work has been far, far away from contracts. I love contract law so any excuse to read it all again is welcomed (yeah, I'm a geek)

Ok - Re: The Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 allows for a third-party to enforce a contract that was made for the benefit of the third party, so long as two conditions are satisfied:

- either the contract expressly provides that the party can enforce the contract

or

- the contract purports to confer a benefit on that third-party

Section 6 of the act does make clear that it cannot be applied to a bill of exchange or a promissory note or any other negotiable instrument.

Nodef I don't think we're now actually too far apart - given the further clarification/modification you have made to your earlier post. I therefore suggest we agree to differ on the merits or otherwise of an LIP rising being a claimant. I am pleased you acheived the very low % F&F's mentioned. I based my acceptances of 35-50% on what I felt I was still morally obliged to settle for, based on a recalculated outstanding balance due after removal of all unfair charges and modification of interest rates to a more equitable figure. I was not simply wanting to settle for as little as possible where I had been treated resaonably by the OC - as I agree with CAG we shouild not be advocating debt avoidance universally. However the remaining creditors (all DCA's now) will have a big fight on their hands to get another penny - as they are NOT treating me reasonably - and my views have hardended considerably over the last few years given teh continued profiogacy of the big banks and their persistent bonus cultures, while writing off a further £1500 per UK family (£40 billion) since the 2007/2008 rescues of Northern Rock, RBS, BBS and HBOS etc. BD. PS - I am away from home this week and using a Public library PC - which does not seem to punctuate my posts correctly. Apologies for any difficulty in reading them.

Sequenci - is there a clear legal definition (either statute or case law) that defines a loan or credit card as a bill of exchange or a promissory note or any other negotiable instrument? If so where is this?

Or are you referring to the fact that a cheque was used in the full and final settlement? If the latter, then I query how it applies as the contract in question relates to a credit card or loan debt. Not to a cheque. The contract terms were contained and verified in the letter accompanying the cheque, whilst the cheque was used to make payment (to give consideration to the creditor for accepting part payment of the alleged debt as full and final settlement) as per the terms of the contract, not as a contract in itself.

By cashing the cheque and by not rejecting the payment and contract offer in sufficient time, the creditor demonstrated by its conduct that the contract was accepted and binding. By then failing to honour this contract, the creditor has created a situation whereby the third party is to have a right to enforce a term of the contract.

This may be incorrect logic (if indeed the exclusion noted above does in fact apply to 3rd party settlement by cheque) or untested. Do you know if it is explicitly stated or demonstrated that the exclusion does relate to a contract in which payment is made by a cheque rather than the cheque itself being the contract? In my view, the exclusion applies or is intended to apply to a contract that dictates funds should be transferred from one party to another. Not to a contract that sets out terms but then uses a cheques merely as a method to transfer payment (i.e. confer consideration from the promisee to the promissor).

With a cheque there are three parties - the person holding the bank account who gives the cheque (the drawer), the party the cheque is made out to (the payee) and the drawer's bank which promises to pay the money to the payee (the drawee). I believe the Act may in fact have been intending to exclude the drawee from enforcing a right under this Act, as a cheque is generally used as a contractual payment between the payer and payee.

I appreciate that it could be argued that as the cheque is referred to in the letter and as the acceptance of full and final settlement is partly contingent upon the cheque not being cashed and returned, that the Act may then be viewed as applicable but is there anything that clearly and beyond doubt illustrates this?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BD - like I said, very happy that you have found success with your efforts to settle your issues. On the note of moral obligation, I will be honest and state that part of me would of course like to pay as little as possible but despite that I do have a (I believe at least!) fairly high moral code too and was quite prepared for a very long time to pay what I saw as a fair amount.

However the credit companies generally do not, in my experience, have any such moral code and any attempts on my part to reach a genuine agreement prior to my final approach merely resulted in them attempting to completely screw me irrespective of the end results for me or for my family. I therefore have very little sympathy for them and know for a fact that they play a numbers game that involves squeezing the most that they can from each consumer.

Anyway, best of luck with resolving your remaining issues.

BD: Will do! I think I need to set aside a few hours so get a really decent understanding as there are various factors that need to be taken into consideration. The Meeting of minds aspect, the 3rd party aspect + privity of contract aspect, the actual F&F settlement + consideration aspect. I hope some others can give their learned opinions too!

I took a look at this last night again.

It was held in Welby v Drake that part-payment of a debt via a third-party would be contractually binding. I think Bracken v Billinghurst has already been quoted as the leading modern authority; not only was the payment made via a third-party - it was paid by cheque.

So, I'm pretty sure that as long as the traditional process of making a contract (e.g. offer + acceptance of that offer based upon clear and unequivocal terms) is followed there can be no arguments.

Hello there NoDefaults. I would be very interested to hear about the approach you took with your 3rd party F&F settlements. Was it directly with the OC or a DCA? What sort of percentage of the balance did you offer? Was it in response to an offer from them to consider a short settlement, or did you just take it upon yourself to send it to them? Did they all fall for it and accept your 3rd party cheques or did some reject your attempt to settle? If so how did you then proceed? Having fallen for it did they then mark your records at the CRAs as settled, or did you have to fight to get them to do that?

My position is that I have a number of credit cards where the companies have been unable to provide a compliant agreement. Therefore at the moment they are not receiving any more money from me. (This was after a number of years on a DMP making reduced payments, the current outstanding balances being, I am sure, less than the interest added.) I was quite prepared to sit it out for 6 years till they all became statue barred (I'm currently at 2 years 4 months), however however due to other circumstances it behoves me to try and get as many as possible of these to an agreed write-off or (partially) setted position in the next 9 months or so.

Edited by IainHL
Formatting

No defaults. I agree with both your recent posts. I too have changed my views - especially in dealing with DCA's - now very similar to your own. I shall resist every attempt by them to extract any more of my hard earned cash from me - other than the token payments currently in place. Incidentally please put a note in your diary to come to my FREE FROM DEBT party to be held in approximately 1980 months' time when the last monthly £5 will have been paid over!. There will be a valet on hand to park zimmers and a creche for carers! Besty of luck! BD

Crikey, I see my thread has grown legs since i last posted !!! Well looking for a bit of help again really. One of my largest debts which was settled by F&F has resurrected itself over 12 months later in the form AIC whom I believe are a particularly nasty bunch. I got a telephone call out of the blue from them about 3 weeks ago to which i sent my scanned copy letters of F&F with cheq. etc. and they have written back today to say they have been in contact with their client and a F&F has never been agreed between their client or their previous agent and have produced a copy of a letter form the previous DCA to whom i did the F&F which is dated 19th may 2010 (2 days after my F&F letter) declining my F&F saying it would instead be used as an installment !!!! Firstly I received no such letter last year and secondly this is the first contact about this in over 12 months.

legally i think i am on firm ground, given that The Mould & 4 different Solicitors said the contract was formed on banking the cheque and that there is no legal contract between us now, however, the fact this has resurfaced along with this letter and maybe thrown a curveball into the equation has got me a bit unsure as to what to do> i will ask for a proof of delivery for this letter because that is the only way they can prove I received it and for me to prove it hasn't just been written now and backdated, but how should i reply to AIC. I remember Mould speaking to them last year over another F&F on my behalf and they were extremely rude, aggressive and downright obnoxious so I do not want to let this just lie. Any suggestions?

I did some full and final offers that worked well - I only paid 10% of a £12k alleged debt to one. In fact I only paid £2,300 out of the £53k they were asking. I wrote the book after using this great site and realising it would help others if I pulled it all together. You can buy the book (How I Got out of Debt by Playing the Banks at their Own Game by Linda Franklin on my website and there are template letters there to help in other situations. Good luck! Linda

Crikey, I see my thread has grown legs since i last posted !!! Well looking for a bit of help again really. One of my largest debts which was settled by F&F has resurrected itself over 12 months later in the form AIC whom I believe are a particularly nasty bunch. I got a telephone call out of the blue from them about 3 weeks ago to which i sent my scanned copy letters of F&F with cheq. etc. and they have written back today to say they have been in contact with their client and a F&F has never been agreed between their client or their previous agent and have produced a copy of a letter form the previous DCA to whom i did the F&F which is dated 19th may 2010 (2 days after my F&F letter) declining my F&F saying it would instead be used as an installment !!!! Firstly I received no such letter last year and secondly this is the first contact about this in over 12 months.

legally i think i am on firm ground, given that The Mould & 4 different Solicitors said the contract was formed on banking the cheque and that there is no legal contract between us now, however, the fact this has resurfaced along with this letter and maybe thrown a curveball into the equation has got me a bit unsure as to what to do> i will ask for a proof of delivery for this letter because that is the only way they can prove I received it and for me to prove it hasn't just been written now and backdated, but how should i reply to AIC. I remember Mould speaking to them last year over another F&F on my behalf and they were extremely rude, aggressive and downright obnoxious so I do not want to let this just lie. Any suggestions?

It does seem a bit of a coincidence that over a year later and a new DCA can now produce a letter said to have been sent from the previous DCA just 2 days after cashing the F&F. If that’s the case then why did it take a year for them to do anything more about it. Does the letter look kosher from the previous DCA (compare the style & format against previous letters received from them).

Hi Iain - settlement was made in all but one of my cases with the OC, only one DCA. I won't quote the exact percentage but it was small (well below 10% in each case). Most of them had at some point made an offer to consider short settlement but had not made a specific offer that was taken up and tied in to the full and final settlement that was made in the end.

There were several rejections and in one case it was rejected but then accepted when a 3rd party cheque and accompanying letter with the terms laid out by the 3rd party were resent shortly after the initial rejection. Some of the OCs have correctly recognised now after a significant amount of post-settlement correspondence that the debt is fully and finally settled and have amended the corresponding entry at the DCA. Some have marked the debt as settled at the DCA but have not removed the default markers and some are still being battled and do not recognise it as of yet.

It is important to note that whilst my credit file is still not in great shape (because of course even one default marker is a virtual death knell to a credit record or at least entails that any credit granted will be on very punitive terms), it is much better than before reaching full and final settlements with my former creditors and most importantly, none of then have sought to chase me in court or in any other meaningful way. I very strongly believe that if they had any grounds at all to do so then they would have by now.

Although in a worse case scenario I might have to wait a few more years for a clean credit record again, I feel much happier now that the debts are settled and that I cannot be legally forced to make any more payments. I am looking into the ins and outs of having the creditors recognise these settlements fully and in line with the agreed terms so that I can have my credit file cleaned more quickly but the main benefit is that I don't have to stress anymore about debts owed. As a final point, you mention partial settlement - I would not bother with that and go for full and final settlement if I were you, to avoid any possibility that they or any DCAs they pass it on to may chase you in the future for any remaining balance. Good luck with it all.

Hello there NoDefaults. I would be very interested to hear about the approach you took with your 3rd party F&F settlements. Was it directly with the OC or a DCA? What sort of percentage of the balance did you offer? Was it in response to an offer from them to consider a short settlement, or did you just take it upon yourself to send it to them? Did they all fall for it and accept your 3rd party cheques or did some reject your attempt to settle? If so how did you then proceed? Having fallen for it did they then mark your records at the CRAs as settled, or did you have to fight to get them to do that?

My position is that I have a number of credit cards where the companies have been unable to provide a compliant agreement. Therefore at the moment they are not receiving any more money from me. (This was after a number of years on a DMP making reduced payments, the current outstanding balances being, I am sure, less than the interest added.) I was quite prepared to sit it out for 6 years till they all became statue barred (I'm currently at 2 years 4 months), however however due to other circumstances it behoves me to try and get as many as possible of these to an agreed write-off or (partially) setted position in the next 9 months or so.