• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Full & Final Settlement offer advice on how to clear asap

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice. After a long fight (lasting nearly 3 years during which time I've paid only £50 on one occasion) one of my remaining creditors has just appointed new lawyers (not a DCA) who have offered me a 25% F&F deal. I have been playing cat and mouse with the OC and its previous lawyers for the last 3 years now. They have both kept refusing to accept my "affordable" £50 monthly payment (as recommended by CCCS) and the previous lawyers kept sending me the wrong bits of paper when I did a CCA request, and refused to certify that they were "the right" or accept they were "wrong" bits of paper (they were actually nothing to do with my loan).

25% is very tempting as they were quite hard nosed for quite a long time - and my family will gladly sub me the cash to get the remaining 75% written off. However it looks as if their new lawyers may have advised them their CCA is unenforecable - I don't know because I've never had the right bits of paper sent so I can check it out!

Should I grab the 25% for a quiet life - or play hard ball, demanding they furnish a true copy of the original signed CCA first - and risk them coming up with the original agreement which ends up being enforceable, and then demanding the full 100% again?

If I were to accept the 25% F&F subject to them providing a true copy of the full original signed agreement can they just pull out of the deal - or must they leave it on the table while I await the eveidence of an enforceable CCA? I would even be willing to pay up on the basis it was later returned if no enforceable CCA turns up in say 6 months.

I know how to word the standard "F&F acceptance letter". What I'm not sure about is whether to send it off at all, or caveat it with reference to the proper original signed CCA turning up!

BD

Hello BD,

What does their letter of settlement state?

If you are happy with this offer and their terms of offer are unequivocally in Full and Final Settlement of the account, then perhaps it would be a good idea to get this one off your desk.

Kind Regards

The Mould

Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice. After a long fight (lasting nearly 3 years during which time I've paid only £50 on one occasion) one of my remaining creditors has just appointed new lawyers (not a DCA) who have offered me a 25% F&F deal. I have been playing cat and mouse with the OC and its previous lawyers for the last 3 years now. They have both kept refusing to accept my "affordable" £50 monthly payment (as recommended by CCCS) and the previous lawyers kept sending me the wrong bits of paper when I did a CCA request, and refused to certify that they were "the right" or accept they were "wrong" bits of paper (they were actually nothing to do with my loan).

25% is very tempting as they were quite hard nosed for quite a long time - and my family will gladly sub me the cash to get the remaining 75% written off. However it looks as if their new lawyers may have advised them their CCA is unenforecable - I don't know because I've never had the right bits of paper sent so I can check it out!

Should I grab the 25% for a quiet life - or play hard ball, demanding they furnish a true copy of the original signed CCA first - and risk them coming up with the original agreement which ends up being enforceable, and then demanding the full 100% again?

If I were to accept the 25% F&F subject to them providing a true copy of the full original signed agreement can they just pull out of the deal - or must they leave it on the table while I await the eveidence of an enforceable CCA? I would even be willing to pay up on the basis it was later returned if no enforceable CCA turns up in say 6 months.

I know how to word the standard "F&F acceptance letter". What I'm not sure about is whether to send it off at all, or caveat it with reference to the proper original signed CCA turning up!

BD

if these make believe lawyers [which is the next desk at most DCA's or the secretary just putting a diff letterhead in the printer] are offering a 75% discount to clear your debt, there is only one thing to conclude........

they do not have any legally binding agreement & know it can never be enforced. they are fleecing you to line their own pockets.

tell them to bugger off and stop talking to them .

these 'lawyers' can do nothing to you, it just to frighten you into doing 'something.

ignore them totally ....gameover.

you pay...you are a mug.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

About £55k For the unenforceable ones I started off at 15% and they refused and then I reduced it to 5% because I thought I could just ignore it and they couldnt enforce it, however it wouldnt stop them chasing and being passed from one DCA to another, so decided to offer very low settlements and if they accepted would get them off my case forever.

He keeps reading case law & gets more confused by it I think. I think the leading case under these circumstances is Hirachand Punamchand v Temple and as far as I am aware, (although you may correct me) the ruling for this still applies today or is there a more recent example?

if these make believe lawyers [which is the next desk at most DCA's or the secretary just putting a diff letterhead in the printer] are offering a 75% discount to clear your debt, there is only one thing to conclude........

they do not have any legally binding agreement & know it can never be enforced. they are fleecing you to line their own pockets.

tell them to bugger off and stop talking to them .

these 'lawyers' can do nothing to you, it just to frighten you into doing 'something.

ignore them totally ....gameover.

you pay...you are a mug.

dx

DX

1. I KNOW these are real reputable local lawyers - a year or so ago I even asked them to help me with fighting the previous lot and they declined because they are also retained by the OC.

2. The previous lot of wallies sent me an incomplete agreement and T&C's belonging to a totally different subsiduary loan company - and didn't understand why I was still querying things. They eventually went away bruised and battered.

3. I KNOW the Loan agreement is enforceable (I still have my full copy). If I accept the 25% offer I will actually have paid back less than I borrowed - so I've had an interest free loan over 7 years - and a discount on the amount borrowed. I have never been charged any punitive interest or "default charges" by them. Apart from refusing the affordable payments I first offered over 3 years ago the OC has behaved reasonably (for an OC) - their last lot of lawyers were the real dumbos.

4. The new lot have committed to retrieving the full agreement if I dig my heels in at this point.

5. If they DID take me to Court they would probably only get £50 a month (or even less) awarded - so no better off than my current monthly offer. However I don't want to be still paying lots of £50 monthly amounts to all and sundry when I'm in my 70's!

6. The only thing that would make me dig my heels in now would be a reassurance that the 25% offer would still be on the table if/when they did retrieve their own copy of the full original enforceable CCA.

7. I take it that I can't insist the offer stays open until they show me what they've got?

All in all I think paying the 25% is pragmatic - not stupid. It will also give me the time to continue fighting the others who have charged me £1000's in default charges and who (I'm certain) don't have enforceable agreements or have screwed themselves with dodgy DN's and TN's.

Thanks to all for your advice - it has helped me clarify my thinking on this one.

BD

Edited by Bigdebtor
typos

your call

just make it a condition of your settlement that ALL adverse info is removed from your CRa file and the loan is shown as settled NOT partial settlement and that them nor none of their agents can ever chase the debt again else it will comeback and bite you.

but i'd not pay a thing to anybody till the CCA they hold proves enforceable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good morning to you all,

I would just like to say, that we all know that many credit agreements are unenforceable, however, it will be for the Court to decide that fact.

So, simply because the agreement is incomplete or flawed in many ways the debt remains, I do not like any creditor, but the money or credit has been used by you for whatever reason, so in these circumstances one should undertake the honourable and rightful action of negotiating a compromise with your creditors, a settlement to your account.

There are many bad debtors, the ones who run up a credit bill with the intention of never paying the money back, do not let your selves fall down to that level.

A few years ago now, I had a serious and dramatic change in my personal life, my wife became very ill, she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis - secondary progressive, I was self-employed and I could no longer go out to work to earn my money for our household, financially we had no income absolutely zero income.

I could not afford to pay any creditor, not even £1.00, my credit agreements were flawed, incomplete and unenforceable, but I did not use that to whelsh on my debts I had used this credit and I wanted to honour the agreements that I had entered into.

My father-in-law, who was retired and suffering from cancer borrowed money against his home that he had worked all of his life to pay for in order to pay settlements to all of my creditors apart from our mortgage.

Each one of our creditors received almost all of the money back that I had borrowed, I owe my life to my father-in-law.

The point is, if you borrowed you should pay back, afterall, did you care about whether the agreement was complete and compliant with the CCA 1974 at the time of entering into the agreement.

I was very fortunate to have such a wonderful father-in-law who borrowed without hesitation to keep us alive, I really could not do anything on my own to pay the money back because I needed to be at home for my family as there is not any care from the government or any help at all from the government.

The conduct of these creditors is unacceptable and inexcusable, the Courts are fed up with debtors claiming unenforceable agreements.

The Courts should be fed up with these creditors whose personnel obviously lack the qualifications and the skill to perform their duties in such a manner that is fully compliant with all legislation.

The fat cat (as they are called) CEOs and Chairpersons and Directors of these organizations pay them selves incredibly high wages and bonuses, instead the money should be invested in their personnel to ensure that they have the required skills to perform their duties in this market place.

On another note, there is no such thing in this life as being debt free, no one will ever be debt free in this life.

Kind Regards

The Mould

Edited by The Mould
Spelling

DX/Mould

Thanks for your replies.

My thinking is along Mould's lines. I agree there is a moral angle too - but only where the other side has not been too devious or underhand.

I got into debt building up a business and through a combination of serious illness and a big PLC bringing out a software product which undercut the one I had spent approaching half a million developing over 5 years, I could no longer even keep up the monthly repayments.

This particular OC, while being a pain in not accepting the CCCS-advised £50 per month, has nevertheless never charged me additional interest or default fees on the Loan. I think paying the 25% F&F on offer is both morally correct and pragmatic - it also actually means I have had the Loan for teh last 7 years more than interest free!

I will ensure they do sort out my credit rating etc. with the CRA's - but other debts mean it is totally shot anyway.

As for chancers like Cr*p one, Egg, Goldfish etc. who have charged me £1000's in default fees and very high interest (much higher than when the cards were taken ot) then it's still WAR - NO CCA or dodgy DN/TN = no more payments.

BD

PS - What's the best template I can use to accept their F&F offer?

DX/Mould

Thanks for your replies.

My thinking is along Mould's lines. I agree there is a moral angle too - but only where the other side has not been too devious or underhand.

I got into debt building up a business and through a combination of serious illness and a big PLC bringing out a software product which undercut the one I had spent approaching half a million developing over 5 years, I could no longer even keep up the monthly repayments.

This particular OC, while being a pain in not accepting the CCCS-advised £50 per month, has nevertheless never charged me additional interest or default fees on the Loan. I think paying the 25% F&F on offer is both morally correct and pragmatic - it also actually means I have had the Loan for teh last 7 years more than interest free!

I will ensure they do sort out my credit rating etc. with the CRA's - but other debts mean it is totally shot anyway.

As for chancers like Cr*p one, Egg, Goldfish etc. who have charged me £1000's in default fees and very high interest (much higher than when the cards were taken ot) then it's still WAR - NO CCA or dodgy DN/TN = no more payments.

BD

PS - What's the best template I can use to accept their F&F offer?

Hello BD,

Can you post up their settlement offer letter?

If you can, I will have a look at it later on this evening.

Kind Regards

The Mould

Mould

I had offerred the 25% by phone and followed it up by e-mail.

The relevant parts of my e-mail were:

As you would see in my Statement of Means, I am operating at a deficit month on month and am in negative equity regarding assets and liabilities. I believe that, if a decree is obtained, I would be able to demonstrate to the court what I can afford, without family support, to pay. That sum would be significantly below the £50 per month offered. However I hope there may be a way to resolve this matter today. My family are willing to offer £xxxx (25%) in full and final settlement of all sums due. This payment can be made within a week of your acceptance.

Their letter replied:

We write to advise that your offer of ££££ (25%) in full and final settlement has been accepted by our client. We look forward to receiving payment week commencing 31 May 2010.

Your help in drafting a suitable response letter would be appreciated.

BD

Mould

I had offerred the 25% by phone and followed it up by e-mail.

The relevant parts of my e-mail were:

As you would see in my Statement of Means, I am operating at a deficit month on month and am in negative equity regarding assets and liabilities. I believe that, if a decree is obtained, I would be able to demonstrate to the court what I can afford, without family support, to pay. That sum would be significantly below the £50 per month offered. However I hope there may be a way to resolve this matter today. My family are willing to offer £xxxx (25%) in full and final settlement of all sums due. This payment can be made within a week of your acceptance.

Their letter replied:

We write to advise that your offer of ££££ (25%) in full and final settlement has been accepted by our client. We look forward to receiving payment week commencing 31 May 2010.

BD, this is quite vague, there is no mention of the account No, however, if they did play the conduct of deceit, they would be unsuccessful if they attempted to sue you for the remaining balance (in these circumstances)

Your help in drafting a suitable response letter would be appreciated.

BD

I will do that tommorrow night BD and post it up for you.

Kind Regards

The Mould

Mould

In response to your query re Account No etc. I confirm they did include this info in the heading and again in the body of the letter. I am pretty sure there is nothing devious going on.

The letter is not from any dodgy DCA, in-house "solicitor" etc. - but from a well known firm of reputable solicitors who are retained by the big Banks to act for them.

You are right to be suspicious - but in this case I am certain the offer is kosher.

Incidentaly I need to get payment off to them to reach them by the end of this week to stay within the terms of my offer - which they accepted.

BD

Mould

In response to your query re Account No etc. I confirm they did include this info in the heading and again in the body of the letter. I am pretty sure there is nothing devious going on.

The letter is not from any dodgy DCA, in-house "solicitor" etc. - but from a well known firm of reputable solicitors who are retained by the big Banks to act for them.

You are right to be suspicious - but in this case I am certain the offer is kosher.

Incidentaly I need to get payment off to them to reach them by the end of this week to stay within the terms of my offer - which they accepted.

BD

OK BD,

Well that seems to be all in order then, send your letter of offer off to them and ensure that your settlement offer fully corresponds and cross references their acceptance letter, perhaps include a copy of their acceptance to the settlement agreement.

In your circumstances when they receive the offer with the cheque payment enclosed it will be inequitable in law for them to resile on their agreement to the Full and Final Settlement payment.

I hope that will help you.

As they have agreed to a lesser sum you do not need to make the offer 'Without any admission of liability'.

They have given a promise and you are acting on that promise.

Kind Regards

The Mould

Have done them today, was waiting to see if anymore cheques got cashed but with the bank holiday, don't suppose there would be anyway. the majority have been cashed now, just the odd few that im not to worried about as small amounts and totally unenforceable, but will let you know their reponses as I get them. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I have read this thread with great interest. I was wondering if this method of full and final can be used where a creditor has already obtained a CCJ.

The reason I ask is if the letter and cheque are sent to the creditor and they cash the cheque, thus accepting the contract written in the letter, then would this contract supersede a court judgement?

Regards

socleirigh

Im not sure about it superseding a Court Judgement. But did you go down the CCA route with this? Is there any reason where you could justify getting the Judgement set aside? If so, You may then be in a good position to offer F&F.

Hi,

I have read this thread with great interest. I was wondering if this method of full and final can be used where a creditor has already obtained a CCJ.

The reason I ask is if the letter and cheque are sent to the creditor and they cash the cheque, thus accepting the contract written in the letter, then would this contract supersede a court judgement?

Hello socleirigh,

You cannot supersede a Court Judgment, you would need to make the application to the court to set aside the CCJ.

Why no discuss the matter with the other side first and see what their response is.

Kind Regards

The Mould