Redundancy uncertainty/unfair dismissal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I and a colleague work at a rural office of a company based in London, with a manager. The lease on the office expires in a couple of months and will not be renewed. The manager has hardly been in the office for the last 6 or 7 months, working from home or abroad. Two months we received an email instructing to pack everything and send it to the head office and arrange transfer of the phones and post to the head office. We are now left with a table, chair and computer each and no phones and we have been told the computers will be removed any day now and we have no work to do, spending eight hours a day staring at the walls. I have asked head office and my manager, via email and phone, what will be happening with regard to our jobs but nobody has told us anything at all or discussed the future in any way. This uncertainty is very unsettling and worrying; what can I do to find out what is going on. It would seem that redundancy is more than likely and from what I have read I understand that we could have a claim for unfair dismissal as no discussions have taken place. Should I point that out to my employers in the hope that it will stir them into some response? I know people will say I should be grateful to have a job and get paid for doing nothing but I need to know what is going to happen so I can make plans.

Hi, and welcome to the CAG...

Your employer should contact you and inform you about the future of your place of work... and about your positions...

They should explore, with you, any possibe redeployment... and any financial proposal...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Thanks for the welcome and reply, Bigredbus.

I sort of know what they should be doing - the problem is they don't. Which is strange as a few years they had to pay out to employees in another office who had beeen made redundant (or dismissed - i'm not too sure which) by a phone call.

The uncertainty is really stressing me out and I could with levering them into some kind of action but I have no idea of how to do that

Write a letter to the HR department at the Head-Office and state the points which have been made in your thread...

They are under obligation to keep you informed...

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Don't know if there is a HR department. I have emailed and spoken to the Finance Director twice and he has said he would find out what is going on and not come back to me. I will try writing a letter but I'm not sure who to as as far as I know he would be the most likely person to contact. Thanks for help

As you already contacted them, you may want to remind them of their obligations... and that if they do not deal with the content of your correspondence within a specified timeframe (14 days), you will seek legal advice...