THE Election - Made your mind up yet ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am not against the queen purely because of the effect she has on the country's balance of payments or trade account, and I would argue that if she was booted out or anything that feeling of 'catching a glimpse' would be gone if it were just a tourist attraction rather than a residence. It just adds to the intrigue? Guessing.

However, she definately costs more than that per capita (taxpayer) as evidenced here.

BBC News - Who should pay for the Pope's visit?

I'm not getting into this waste of money on the religious front because I can't be ar5ed. But, the queen is basically spending this money by inviting him, isn't she? So there is 8M plus many more millions in security costs. The stinkly wealthy church is chipping in 7 million - how kind, and I'll wager all of it was taken by those that dug deep in their poor pockets.

So, in a time of cutbacks, is this really necessary? Here was me thinking he was going to get locked up when the crim landed on our shores? (ahem).

Not blaming the coalition or labour (who will have authorised this I assume) but I'd like to see the coalition bloody stop this madness!!

(There, I managed to keep my Catholic hatred to myself) :p

*goes and spits expletives in the corner*

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are approx. 5 Million Roman Catholics in the UK, who wish to see 'The Pope'. There have been collections in ALL Roman Catholic churches last Sunday; the money will go towards the shortfall Re: The Pope's visit.

The Pope is also a Head of State; Vatican.

Not Politically correct to discrimate against Roman Catholics!

No its not 'politically Correct' to start 'damming' members of a forum either AC who are just expressing their opinion but you are obviously doing so. If RC's want to see the pope then perhaps with low airfares they should consider going to Rome with their donations and save us the expense.

Fine, but where is the discrimination? I am saying all such expenditure is bonkers, innit? I don't see a 15 million arabic visit or athiest party? If they want to come then fine - just, err, pay for it.

The pope is head of state, but isn't recognised as one, he has no immunity (real immunity) that's why people are trying to have him arrested. Also, head of state my arris, as the article explains, it is of no economic benefit to the country unlike real heads of states popping along.

Nah, I agree things get spent that doesn't benefit all - but this one is a pure waste of money that the queen, seemingly, has had the taxpayer shoulder.

No its not 'politically Correct' to start 'damming' members of a forum either AC who are just expressing their opinion but you are obviously doing so. If RC's want to see the pope then perhaps with low airfares they should consider going to Rome with their donations and save us the expense.

I wasn't, as you say, damning members.

Just stating a fact; there are approximately 5 Million Roman Catholics in the UK!

One is Tony Blair, who converted.

If she bloody invited him, let her bloody well pay :p And all those rich catholics!

Why, would you think that ALL Roman Catholics are rich?

So, your view is that; all Tories are rich and Roman Catholics the same???

Good God, this thread get's worse by the minute...

Why, would you think that ALL Roman Catholics are rich?

So, your view is that; all Tories are rich and Roman Catholics the same???

Good God, this thread get's worse by the minute...

I dont believe that BB said that all catholics are rich she said all those rich catholics. Nor do i beleive that all tory's are rich there, are a fair few working class tory's out there, or as I prefer to call them masochists

How very sad, that some people appear to have such a bigoted view about the Pope's visit:(

Personally speaking and as a Roman Catholic myself, I am delighted about the Papal Visit!

BBC NEWS | UK | Pope to visit Britain in 2010

:

The news of Pope Benedict's visit comes after Gordon Brown extended a formal invitation to the Pope during a private audience in February.

A spokesman for the prime minister said he was "delighted" and "it would be a moving and momentous occasion for the whole country".

Edited by angry cat

Incidentally, would love to know how 5 Million Roman Catholics are going to be able to fly to Rome; some being on benefits or, DLA!

I guess though, Michael O'Leary, (Ryan Air) a staunch Roman Catholic, would love to see all that extra moula;

Terry Leahy, (Tesco) another staunch Roman Catholic, could provide the in-flight meals at an additonal cost!

In short, regular Roman Catholic would NOT be able to afford to go and pay for the additional flights for their children, as well.

Goodness, I have missed three pages since I went off this thread last night.

Have to go out now too.

I'm Catholic too, as Thailand knows, and millions of people will welcome the Pope's visit. As all sorts of dodgy despots have been invited to this country before - and I am talking about real murderers, practising genocide - I find it astonishing that people should be objecting to the Pope.

The Pope has apologized for the failings/criminal activity of a MINORITY of priests. What more would anyone expect him to do? Maybe he should step down and the Catholic Church should be run by a Coalition of Cardinals - with a few from other parties (oops, I meant religions) being given places too? :rolleyes:

Catholicism was seen as a 'poor' religion for many years too. There must be far more rich members of the Church of England than Catholics!

Let's try again. Why should the taxpayer pay for the pope to come? Should the tax payer then pay for every single religious leader in the world to come at the same expense (or respective cost) Or is the pope special because he precides over approx 1000 people?

Why the celebs? Who cares? All religions have them? Surely that didn't make even one point.

Do I have to name athiest celebs, no, I thought not. Should I mention people who are against this who are celebs, nope? Let's leave that one!

Sorry Daniella, 'real murderers' doesn't compute. I'm not going there, though.

Also, who cares who has money or not! Now't to do with it, except to say they should fund their beliefs by themselves. I mean this type of event.

DD, I respect your right to be religious. I am too. I'm not catholic, but that's my business. The difference is though, I wouldn't expect the state (British taxpayers) to accomadate a 'state visit' by a high ranking religious figure. I would expect to pay for the privalige if I wished to see them.

DD, I respect your right to be religious. I am too. I'm not catholic, but that's my business. The difference is though, I wouldn't expect the state (British taxpayers) to accomadate a 'state visit' by a high ranking religious figure. I would expect to pay for the privalige if I wished to see them.

Innit, sister.

You wouldn't dare to make that comment about a Muslim!
whether she would or not is irrelevant... Islam doesn't forbid contraception and even accepts abortion if continuing the pregnancy would put the mother's life in real danger. Since the comment was made in relation to the Catholics' stance on birth control, trying to turn this onto a Catholics versus Muslims situation is a new low. :roll:

A number of you have obviously been left to clean up BB after others have been talking through their bum again to try and justify their invalid points and obvious discrimination! Sorry if any offence caused by this remark Thia :rolleyes:

You have been, as stated earlier 'damming members' throughout this thread if they dare to disagree with your opinion.

What has Tony Blair got to do with this.....I did not mention him :confused:

whether she would or not is irrelevant... Islam doesn't forbid contraception and even accepts abortion if continuing the pregnancy would put the mother's life in real danger. Since the comment was made in relation to the Catholics' stance on birth control, trying to turn this onto a Catholics versus Muslims situation is a new low. :roll:

Factually, I did not bring up the topic about the Papal Visit!

My response, was that there are approximately 5 Million Roman Catholics in the UK.

by Bookworm:

"...trying to turn this onto a Catholics versus Muslims situation is a new low."

Absolutely and totally incorrect; you are twisting things again?

It is not PC to make derogatory comments about Muslims; the same applies to Roman Catholics.

And when did I mention, the RC stance on birth control?

What if you was to make a derogatory comment about someone, and then find out later that they were of a certain religious persuasion?

Would that be PC?;)

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

You have been, as stated earlier 'damming members' throughout this thread if they dare to disagree with your opinion.

What has Tony Blair got to do with this.....I did not mention him :confused:

One presumes that the above comment is directed at me?

For the avoidance of doubt, the following (humorous) post was made in response to your ludicrous suggestion about RC's, flying out to Rome in order to see the 'Pope', instead of His Holiness coming here to the UK:

by AC:

"Incidentally, would love to know how 5 Million Roman Catholics are going to be able to fly to Rome; some being on benefits or, DLA!

I guess though, Michael O'Leary, (Ryan Air) a staunch Roman Catholic, would love to see all that extra moula;

Terry Leahy, (Tesco) another staunch Roman Catholic, could provide the in-flight meals at an additonal cost!

In short, regular Roman Catholic would NOT be able to afford to go and pay for the additional flights for their children, as well."

Edited by angry cat
addition

What if you was to make a derogatory comment about someone, and then find out later that they were of a certain religious persuasion?

Would that be PC?;)

Clearly, it is best to steer away from discussing Religion, as is clearly shown on the last few posts.

However, I reiterate that it was not I, who brought up the topic of the Pope's Visit to the UK!