Worried about tax credits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just got my renewal pack and am so worried now because it says I'm an individual and my partner lives with me. We were together then split then back together and have been since new year. He doen't work and isn't claiming any benefits - will this drastically alter my payments, am I in big trouble?? I'm worried about calling them now and my friends say just tell them he's only just mo9ved in and they won't know but I wouldn't sleep at night if I did that. HELP!!!

forgot to add. got a letter a few days prior to the renewal pack asking me to call them when I renew instead of just sending it back "to check I was being paid correctly", I didn't think anything of it at the time. Do they know?

If they were that suspicious, they would have made contact by now in a more formal manner. There's always a chance that one of your "friends" might have tipped them off, in whch case.... when you send the form in, you'll need to say that your partner is living there (which is true anyway).

Personally, I wouldn't 'phone them. If they want you to be specific about the date he moved in, they will contact you about it and you can deal with it then.

Why is he not claiming Benefits if he's not working?

He has enquired about benefits but because of the amount I earn and the fact that his contributions aren't enough for him to claim contribution based benefits then apparently he's not entitled and is dependant on me which is anoying as I think the tax credits will penalise me for keeping him!

He has enquired about benefits but because of the amount I earn and the fact that his contributions aren't enough for him to claim contribution based benefits then apparently he's not entitled and is dependant on me which is anoying as I think the tax credits will penalise me for keeping him!

Do you want to keep this man?

Personally, I'd think very long and hard before you decide to let him get comfortable as a kept man.... as he's not contributing anything financially and as such, there doesn't seem to be much point having him there.... particularly when he's already moved in and left you more than once.

Apologies if that offends you... it's not intended. :)

I probably put that wrong, he looks after our children so that I can work full time, I can earn more than he can so it makes sense for him to stay at home instead of me. I don't have an issue with that, I'm only concerned about what will happen to my tax credits, I'm quite happy with our arrangement.

I probably put that wrong, he looks after our children so that I can work full time, I can earn more than he can so it makes sense for him to stay at home instead of me. I don't have an issue with that, I'm only concerned about what will happen to my tax credits, I'm quite happy with our arrangement.

Ok... I see. :)

What you could do is make an anonymous enquiry to TC and ask them for an estimate of what you would get; based upon him living there. That way, you'll have some idea of what you'll get as a couple.

Regardless of the figure they give you though, you'll need to submit the form with his details on it because the risk of someone "dobbing you in" is too high.. I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you return the renewal form without his details on it.

:)

The renewal doesn't have a part on it (that I can see) to add a partner, it only has spaces for earnings and alot of notes. I'll have to ring them and then they'll ask all kinds of questions and I'm worried.

The renewal doesn't have a part on it (that I can see) to add a partner, it only has spaces for earnings and alot of notes. I'll have to ring them and then they'll ask all kinds of questions and I'm worried.

Well you have a choice.

Either 'phone them and tell them the truth and they'll calculate the overpayment since he's been living with you.

Or tell them he's only just moved in and they'll calculate the new figure based upon fresh info. and there'll be no overpayment

It's your decision. Either you can conquer your worry or you can't.

:)