• Tweets

• Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
    • Sorry, I got confused  Yes, it states all three   Thanks, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard (Morgan Stanley) Compound Interest Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm brand new to these forums, so I hope this has been posted in the right place!:confused: I've been an avid reader for ages and this site is great for advice so I've finally registered!

I've been reclaiming mis-sold ppi from Barclaycard from an old Morgan Stanley account opened in 2000, with ppi attached from the very start. I've previously received copy of original CCA and this confirms no ppi was not applied for, and was automatically added to the account.

Barclaycard replied with an initial offer of settlement of around £1,500, but this only went back as far as 2004 (6 Years). I replied back with copies of additional statements and asked for a full refund back to the start of the account. They have now replied again with an increased offer of around £2,900.

All good so far, however they say that this figure includes compound interest and an additional 8% simple interest payment. They have provided a breakdown of each ppi payment made and the compound interest they believe is due on each payment. However their figures are tiny and differ greatly to the calculations I made myself using a link to one of the many compound interest calculators on the internet.

What I would like to know is are their figures correct, or are they trying to fleece me of the correct amount of interest? Here are a couple of examples of their figures:

PPI Payment of £27.86 made on 21st Dec 2004 @ APR of 20.9%

They calculate compound interest of £2.38 is payable on this amount, however I calculated compound interest of £55.85 (when I complied the letter about a month ago).

In total, nearly £2,000 has been paid in ppi payments since 2000 (account was closed in 2007). From this amount, they calculate that the total compound interest due is a mere £260 with a further £600 in 8% simple interest on top of that. The interest rates ranged from 16.9% to 20.9% over that period.

According to my figures, this should be thousands more. Have I calculated correctly or am I way off the mark? They have asked for the acceptance form to be sent back within 14 days and have issued their final response.

Should I accept, or let it go to the FOS. I've had previous ppi complaints with the FOS and these have all taken over a year to sort out, so I know this could put the settlement back ages. Or could I accept their offer in partial settlement and then refer the matter of compound interest to the FOS?

I'd be greatful of any advice on this.

Thanks in advance,

MP.

Hi Makkapakka and welcome to CAG.

I'm moving your thread to the PPI forum where I hope you'll get the input required.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

no you are correct

stick by your guns

little fleecers!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You will have difficulty getting the FOS to address the issue of compound interest, I have tried with MBNA and they just dont seem to want to take on board what you are trying to say. The just state that your complaint has been dealt with in accordance with their redress advise given to the company - which in my opinion and a lot of other peoples clearly wrong. I successfully claimed back charges with compound contractual interest and they are added on to the account in the same way as ppi and then interest calculated on the whole balance. I think the only option will be down the court route to claim the interest but raise the point with the FOS as the more people that do query it, the more it shows that their redress advice is not correct.

GE MONEY - DEBENHAMS CARD

Settled in full after prelim :)

MBNA

Settled after LBA

however mistake made by me on contractual interest so going after the rest now

SETTLED IN FULL JAN 2007:)

MINT

Offer after prelim rejected

Settled in full after LBA:)

to go:

Barclays Bus Ac - to mcol

Barclays CC - to mcol

Nat West (over 6 years) no action taken yet

Creation Financial - awaiting statements since Dec

Goldfish - offer after prelim rejected

and some more

The only good thing about the FOS is that you are not bound by their decision if it goes against you. You can still go on to take court action if you want.

They calculate compound interest of £2.38 is payable on this amount, however I calculated compound interest of £55.85 (when I complied the letter about a month ago).

I used this calculator to check your figures and got £55.33 as at 1st April 2010 - Compound interest calculator

So your figures look right and you should seek the refund you want as per your schedule. Court action may be the best way forward if BC remain intransigent.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for the input guys.

So I am right in thinking that if I refuse their offer and take it to the FOS, the chances are that the FOS will just rule that they only have to pay roughly what they are already offering me?

If so, then no point in using FOS as i'd be waiting over a year for roughly the same settlement figure. So that only leaves the court route.

Can I accept their offer as "partial settlement" and go on to pursue the compound interest through the courts, or would accepting their offer in any way stop me from doing that?

The thing is with this is that I could really do with the settlement money now, but i know that the mis-selling is vertually 100% cast iron as I never applied for it on the application form and it was automatically added onto the account from the very first statement, so I know that I should win in court (if it got that far). Does anyone have any idea how Barclaycard would defend this?

You can accept their offer as partial settlement and make it clear that you'll pursue the balance which is due as per your SOC.

BC tend to refuse to pay anything involving compound and/or contractual interest until they are forced by a court claim. They'll defend all the way up to a court hearing and usually negotiate a settlement just before a final court hearing date.

If you are careful in your preparation and clear about what you're doing, you should get BC to back down and settle in full.

• Haha 1

Just being re-reading their settlement offer letter which reads:

"I can confirm that our redress calculation process is in accordance with the guidance we have received from the Fianancial Ombudsman Service".

So this means PPI payment + Compound interest + 8% simple interest

The thing is they claim that they are already paying me the compound interest due, but why is it so low? Anyone know how they could have reached the figure they did and what formula they used?

Slick, what is a SOC? - Not clued up on court lingo....... yet!;)

Never been to court - either way!

Hi Makka,

Never mind why their figures are so low. Just make sure yours are right on your spreadsheet.

SOC = Schedule of Charges.

If you play your cards right, you won't have to face BC in court although it's a possibility.

You should be able to negotiate a settlement before the hearing date.

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this.

Sent Barclaycard an offer of settlement half way between their offer and what I believe is due to me.

To be honest, i'd be pleased if they do agree, even if it is short of the total amount. If they dont then its off to court we go!

I'll post back with their reply.

MP.

Oh yes, a couple of other things!

Does the fact that there was once a credit balance on the account affect the compound interest due? This was for about a year around 2005ish. This was being debated on another forum.

Just need to be sure of my figures if they decline my offer.

Secondly, this account was flogged to a DCA in 2007 (who have washed their hands of the ppi and refuse to accept that it is an issue - but thats another story!) and the balance reduced to nil with the OC. Does the fact no interest has been applied to the account since then affect anything?

Ta!

Oh yes, a couple of other things!

Does the fact that there was once a credit balance on the account affect the compound interest due? This was for about a year around 2005ish. This was being debated on another forum.

- yes , as there was no outstanding bal , you were not charged interest, so you can't claim int at their rate because none was charged.

you wouldhave to get the T&C for THAT period, to workout what was paid-out first [in order]. this will also have an effect on other years too.

IMHO: once you were in credit you can no long claim int at their rate because the charge has been paid, but you can still claim 8% stat.

Just need to be sure of my figures if they decline my offer.

Secondly, this account was flogged to a DCA in 2007 (who have washed their hands of the ppi and refuse to accept that it is an issue - but thats another story!

- yes but thats nowt to do with the DCA, your PPI reclaim is always against the OC

and the balance reduced to nil with the OC. Does the fact no interest has been applied to the account since then affect anything?

as above .

Ta!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx

So this would mean that all figures calculated using one of the compound interest calcalator links are incorrect!:confused:

Account was closed in 2007 and no interest paid since, yet compound interest calculations were calculated in early April 2010 from date applied to account to that date.

Should be much less than I quoted then? OOPS!

basically

you can only charge them int at their purchase rate WHEN they charged you it!

8% stat is diff

it is like a 'payback' for depriving you of having the money to spend.

dx

dx

and they

I have to disagree with DX's opinion about interest when the a/c balance was zero.

Claiming interest in restitution is about fairness. The bank charged you money for PPI and that money has been used in the course of their business to lend to others at the bank's contractual rate. You therefore claim compound interest, in restitution, at the bank's contractual rate to restore balance, or fairness.

Please read the Interest Tutorial at Link No6 in my signature for more about this.

The problem which I see is that you haven't actually paid the full a/c balance to the DCA after the a/c was sold by the OC.

But I don't see that this affects the interest which you should claim on the charges that you paid. If they haven't been charging interest recently, perhaps that's their problem.

thank you slick

always like to be corrected.

esp when it costs the fleecers more money.

dx

and they

Hi DX and Makkapakka,

I'm NOT correcting but merely saying I disagree about something. Dosen't mean I'm right !! ;)

I'm not certain about the position after the a/c was sold and they stopped adding int't. But I think that may just be the bank's or the DCA's hard luck.

But I'm sure you are entitled to compound int't in restitution because the bank have had your money, and used it for their profit.

The interest tutorial cover all of this but, in a nutshell:

1. Obviuosly, you claim back all the charges (not just the excess over £12, either)

2. You should recalim the interes they added to the charges. You calculate this by starting from the beginning and keeping a running total of the charges. From each monthly statement you estimate the interest they added by multiplying the actual interest charged by (total of charges/balance) if total of charges the balance. Obviously, if you were in credit, the interest actually charged is zero, so the above calculation gives zero too.

3. You can then claim interest on the whoe lot (charges plus interest) in restitution as Slick has expleined. This can either be 8% simple interest under s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 or compound interest at some commercial rate using the Sempra Metals case (butonly if you really understand it - otherwise you will get in a mess)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the replys guys!:)

Barclaycard should have received my offer by now, so i'll post back when I get a response.

The thing with this account is that I always thought that any refund of ppi and charges (not even started on the charges yet) would come off the balance of the debt with the DCA which is currently about £7,000. But becuase the debt has been sold, Barclaycard have indicated that they will be refunding me directly! (Sorry DCA:D)This means money into the pot for full and finals from my other debts which will be a great help, plus cash in the bank to help with my DMP budget.

I've stopped paying the DCA due to their incompetence and lack of respect of the CCA1974. Basically, they haven't been playing ball with my requests for information so I removed them from my now self managed DMP. The account is completely unenforceable as per many Morgan Stanley accounts from the time (2000). And as for the default notice, well.......:eek::eek::eek::D

They have threatened me with court action and believe that I am wrong. They also offered a 50% reduction in settlement in the same letter. I politely refused and asked them to take me to court if they want. Not heard back yet, but if I do then I'll let you know!:cool:

MP.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this.

Well, had a reply from Barclaycard. Their final offer of a little under £3,000 is totally final and they wont budge on the compound interest figures.

So I decided to seek some legal advice on the matter and contacted a local firm of solicitors. After fully explaining the situation, they said that I did have a case, however they also stated that if I won in court, the court could decide to have the amount awarded deducted from the total amount still owed to the DCA! (Which is approx £7,000)

Apparently, creditors can buy back debts sold to DCA's!!!:eek:

I'm currently not paying the DCA anything due to various CCA defects and missold ppi and I am certain it is unenforceable, so obviously dont want this to happen. To be honest, i'd rather take the £3,000 and run, knowing that the rest of the debt is unenforceable.

DCA have thretened court action, but so far its all been hot air. I've got them well and truely snookered on the default notice. Also, the amount they claim is owed includes this now confirmed missold ppi, so they cannot legally claim I owe it, right?

Was thinking of offering a really low full and final and see if they bite.

Any advice on all of this?

MP.

urm...

i cant see that.

yes they could poss wriggle set-off in there somehow.

but that can only be ARREARS

dx

and they

I think you stand little chance of getting them to accept a low F&F. Anything below 75% is unlikely.

The only way you'll get a direct refund of the charges plus interest in restitution is to take pro-active court action against BC. You would keep the court claim active until BC agree to refund to you direct.

It ends up a bit like playing Chicken. They try to argue and put doubts in your mind about how likely you are to win, and what their costs may cost you if you lose.

I will not argue about the advice from your sol'rs. However, experience shows that cases like this very rarely go into court because BC will settle beforehand.