Studnet loan Urgent

duaplex
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but i have a worrying problem and was hoping somebody could please help.

In 2005 i took out a student loan. Then in 2006 i became employed and recieved a letter from telling me that they could not match my name to my national insurance card. They also threatened to fine me for any delays.

Since then i have heard nothing from them and i still have not started paying the studnet loan back. I have no default or a ccj on my file.

My question is should i be worried about this as they cant chase me after 6 six year i believe?

or

Should i call them and tell them to start taking the money as not to risk a ccj in the future? Im so confused on what to do as a solicitor told me to do nothing. But im not sure? Im worried i will phone them and they will put a default on my file or worse!

Please help

Hello duaplex,

The first thing to remember about student loans is that there are two types: The first came into being between 1990 and August 1998. This type of loan (commonly known as a 'mortgage style' loan) was payable as soon as the studies ended by Direct Debit. The second type of loan was from September 1998 until the present and is called the 'income contingent loan.' This is the loan that you have.

Pursuant to the Higher Education Act 2004, you have a responsibility to repay this loan and to inform them that you are working, even if you move abroad.

You will not have a County Court judgement on your file until the matter is brought before the court and they win a judgement against you. Therefore, you should not be worried about this at this present time.

The debt however should be collected through the taxation system by your employer, who then passes it on to the Inland Revenue, who pay it to the Student Loans Company. The responsibility for this rests with your employer and yourself.

My suggestion is to do the following:

1) Contact the Student Loans Company (SLC) asking for your student unique identifier number and the loan agreement. You will need to give them as much information as possible in order to help them locate you.

2) They identify you by your National Insurance Number and the Local Authority from which you obtained the loan through. Therefore check that the two match: on the SLC agreement form and on your pay slip;

3) If they do not then correct the number with your employer or with the SLC;

4) Once this is done, you should be back in repayment if you are earning over £299 per week.

It’s very important to make sure that all agencies have your national insurance number correct as they can affect benefits further down the line.

Take care and hope this helps!

Always seek professional legal advice and be careful of the cowboys.