BankFodder BankFodder

Valhalla

Unicom - being chased for payment re termination of contract

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3389 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi ,

Can anyone give me some advice and info about the following please? It's all to do with Unicom theatening to take me to court for £1100 in contract termination charges.

First the circumstances and then some questions...

In October last year we had a fire in our rented home. It wasn't totally destroyed but we could no longer live there and moved out to a temporary mobile home and moved the home office to a new rented temporary office.

The impact of the fire on our business and home life was such that after a few months trying to get things together again the cost of renting the office and the mobile home became unsustainable and we decided to save money by moving out of both and back to place we own where we don't have to pay rent - in our case the only place was in France where we have a home from when we lived here years ago.

I advised Unicom (telephones) that we were moving to France for financial reasons and no longer needed the telphome line and they promptly billed me for £1100 in contract termination fees.

I've been a client of their's for 4 years and had no arrears up until this termination business. I explained to them the circumstances saying that the reason were moving was not of our making or our choice, but a financial imperative - we don-t have £1100 to give them- but this didn't cut much ice with them.

After receiving a threatening letter I spoke to them last on April 15th and they agreed to hold proceedings whilst I wrote to them once again asking them to waive the termination charges, but in April 26th I received an e-mail form their collection agent saying that unless I paid in full by May 3rd they would seek an court injunction, bailiffs, seizure of goods etc etc

Questions in no particular order:

Is it fair/possible of them to give me just one week to pay before they go to court or are they just bullying?

Do I have to correspond by e-mail? Written correspondence at least gives me time to think and reply

Any grounds, moral or otherwise to contest the termination charges?

Can I contest the amount and ask them to provide a detailed calculation of how they arrive at the £1100

I could offer a monthly amount to clear the 'alleged' debt, but a) this would be to admit I owe it when I just feel it's a rip off and b) I don't have any spare income at all to pay them.

Any other advice on how to deal with Unicom and this situation?

Thanks - hope someone can help

Valhalla

Hi Valhalla,

Have you tried sending them a letter from your solicitor confirming that you are ceasing to trade?

Hi Valhalla.

Have you been able to deal with this problem?

Els

BANK CHARGES CAMPAIGN CONTINUES - PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Aktiv Kapital £300.00 SETTLED IN FULL

Capital One £741.47 SETTLED IN FULL

Citi Cards £1221.00 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(personal) £3854.28 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(business) £7487.97 SETTLED IN FULL

What poor education I have received has been gained in the University of Life

I know the problem - we have a and probably the same pb except they are chasing a 14k that doesnt exist....

we havent lived at the address for 5-6 years and give them full an final settlement notice - and payment by cheque after they ignored the fact we were moving home.

do you know of any good solicitors that have beaten them before?

if so let me know.

there are hundreds of people in the same situation.

know the problem - we have a and probably the same pb except they are chasing a 14k that doesnt exist....

we havent lived at the address for 5-6 years and give them full an final settlement notice - and payment by cheque after they ignored the fact we were moving home.

if so let me know.

Do I know any good solictors that have beaten them? Not personally, but try any solictor that knows the law. I. E. 99.9% of them. Good luck.

know the problem - we have a and probably the same pb except they are chasing a 14k that doesnt exist....

if so let me know.