British Credit Trust

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I`ve had my hours lowered at work but got a compensation package to cover it for a set amout of time / years.

I currently have a car with the British Credit trust.

Its for 49 months ( 1 month being the gap insurance ) and I pay 291 quid a month.

The car cost about 8 grand or just under when I got it and I will have paid half ( of the finance which is 14k total ) when it gets to around August time.

I have asked them for a settlement figure and they stated around 6300 quid.

My question is, is that amount negotiable?

If I pay off the HP, then sell the car, I`ll get around what the settlement figure is for it.

If I wait and carry on paying until the contract gets to half way, I can just give it back right?

I really dont know what to do.

I want to downsize my car anyway as mine is a 2.7 litre Jeep, its in great nick but its a waste of money as I only use it for the couple of mile commute to work.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Hi,

Yip after you have paid half of all monies due, you can VT the car without penalty. Although some people reckon this does harm your future credit rating.

I have heard this also, but have yet to see it coming true in practice. I have VT'd a car before (back in 2001) and moved on without giving it another thought and never experienced any credit rate damage.

I have just requested and received a confirmation from Vauxhall (GMAC) that I can VT one of my current cars, whilst at the same time, ordering a new Vauxhall to be financed though GMAC :D. I have about 5 other cars on HP which the dealers are happy with and have been chatting to BMW this week about a new car including mentioning about this Vauxhall that I intend to get rid of by VT. None of this has been a concern to any of the dealers and arranging the new finance has never proved to be a problem.