style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OH received NIP this morning for an alleged offence just over a week ago. On the day in question we were definitely both in the car, returning from the garden centre with rather a lot of quite expensive and precariously packed plants - receipt is timed at about half an hour before the alleged offence, which would place us at the junction at about the right time.

1. We're almost sure OH was driving - is almost sure good enough?

2. This junction is less than 5 minutes from where we live and the main route in/out of town so we know it very well and we know the camera is there.

3. Neither of us are in the habit of speeding, and especially not 11 mph over the limit (which drops from 50 to 30 just before this junction, hence the camera).

4. With all those expensive plants in the back, I definitely remember us being very cautious going around roundabouts etc, so it seems unlikely we would then speed to that extent - 2 or 3 mph over maybe, but not 41 in a 30 zone.

Neither of us have any points etc on our licences, and never have had, but I'm not convinced it's worth the risk of contesting this if the likely outcome is a fixed penalty and 3 points, especially since the chances are OH will be away when they want him in court.

Opinions/suggestions please?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Write to the [problematic] and ask for photos to help with the id of the driver. Do not ask for evidence as they are not obliged to help but most will if it's for id.

The 28 day clock still runs for a reply in relation to naming the driver s. 172 and is not suspended whilst you await the photos.

M1

Will the ticketing office accept a request from me for photos since all the paperwork is addressed to the OH? He can't write as he's currently out of the country. He may or may not be back within the 28 days, probably not.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Whoa...

How long is OH out of the country for? If he is away for months, then you could beat this.

Only he can sign the NIP/S.172 as it is addressed to him (presumably as registered keeper).

He should complete and sign it on his return; there is a clause in S.172 that allows this after the 28 day period.

He will have responded to the S.172 "as soon as reasonably practicable"; so any attempted prosecution for failing to supply will fail. If they don't get the speeding offence laid before the Court for a summons to be issued within 6 months of the offence, then the prosecution cannot go ahead. They can't lay information until they have a signed S.172 from the driver.

He will be in the country for a few days at the beginning of June, but then not again until the end of July.

He's absolutely panicking because a colleague in a similar situation got arrested for failing to appear in court as soon as he arrived in the UK. I tried speaking to the central ticketing office this afternoon, but just got quoted 'data protection'.

RMW