Carers allowance - backdated?

Jogon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's takent he DWP (another thread) over a year to finally award the middle rate care, several decisions changes etc later and all that. They have backdated it but due to it only being on low rate (care component) until the recent decision change) we were unable to apply for the care allowance, but now that it has and it was backdated will a care allowance if granted be backdated also?

I can't say I'm not disappointed in the response to my question, at the time of posting there is 75 views and yet not one answer to my query in almost 48hrs. What does one have to do to elicit an answer? Pull teeth?

I realise it is not compulsory to answer a question and of course the board and website is purely on an voluntary basis but when more people seem to be interested in somebody possibly being taped with a car outside a house than answering what I thought was a fairly straightforward question to those more knowledgeable.

Sorry if that sounds selfish but I've asked several questions and pretty much gotten zero answers.

I thought the idea was to help others but instead of this forum being a resource it's been altogether the opposite (for me at least) .

Poor show, sorry but it really is and that is not saying that there are not some very well informed and helpful people on this website but I have to say I haven't found them anywhere.

Just in case anyone else has the same question as me I can now provide the answer (welfare rights answered me today)

Carers Allowance is backdateable for 3 months, any longer than that and it is unlikely to succeed but you can offer them as to the reasons why you think it should be backdated further but don't expect it to succeed.

If you claimed for carer's allowance when you asked for middle rate care it would have been refused. If that was the case then you could ask for that decision to be looked at again as it was made "in ignorance of a material fact" that being the backdating of middle rate care. Under those circumstances the carer's allowance could be backdated to the date the middle rate care was awarded.

I am glad that Welfare Rights were able to provide you with an answer. If I had seen your thread I certainly would have answered it. As it happens the first time I have seen it is tonight. With so many people posting, threads are often "lost" further down the page. CAG is a large forum and deals with a variety of issues, it is impossible to provide an answer to every single thread.

There are very few in the way of all round benefits experts on this forum too, Jogon which explains why you had so many views but no answer. Many are experienced in only one or two areas. In looking at the thread title many may have thought it related to backdating in general (three months) and could answer that it could be backdated three months but would have been unable to answer your specific query. CAG is designed as a self help forum, with members contributing where they can.

Have you noticed the stickies on benefit law? It's worthwhile looking at them for future consideration, you might have been able to navigate the law volumes to find the appropriate legislation to locate your answer.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)