caro

Dog died following anaesthetic

An elderly friend had an 11 year old lab that hadn't been herself for a few weeks, and the vet suggested an xray. My husband took the dog to the vet on Monday morning and went to pick her up again in the evening as she obviously had to have a general anaesthetic for the xray. It seems she had some kind of foreign body in her but her owner didn't want to put her through an operation if not absolutely necessary.

When he got home my hubby told me that the dog (Tara) hadn't properly come round and he had to carry her to the car and then from the car into the house. We both thought it odd that they should let her go home when she didn't seem to be properly conscious.

About 10 o'clock in the evening we had a phone call to tell us that Tara had died. My OH is furious with the vet for not keeping her in for observation, although his friend (who incidentally has a condition which means his own life is not likely to go on for much longer), is just devastated. In fact it was his wife who rang sounding extremely upset, and when I answered the phone and she asked to speak to my hubby I wasn't sure if she might be ringing about her husband or Tara.

Do you think it's worth trying to take the matter further?

This is sad to hear Caro, they should bring about measures to prevent this happening again. As soon as they are made aware of what has happened they should conduct a full investigation. Pets are family to most people and the loss of a cherished pet can be unbearable especially when they are very ill themselves.

Thanks UK.

My husband will see his friend tomorrow, so we'll find out more if he wants to take things further. My hubby went to the house on Tuesday morning to take Tara's body back to the vets. He found this very hard as he is still grieving for our own dog who died in January and Tara, who was only a few months younger had been our dogs life long playmate.

Our friend has very bad eyesight so could only really get out with the dog when my husband took him, which he's been doing for the last 10 years, so he's been hit hard by this too.

so sad to hear this Caro,

we have one thats had stroke recently ( darker 1 in my avatar ) and i watch him all the time just in case it happens again, he is 11 and a half now ,

Thanks kip. I guess it's the price you pay for the love and friendship they give you.

I hope that yours is ok.

That's so very sad but I guess 11 was a great age for a larger dog like that. However, I WOULD complain as they should never have let her return home till she was at least properly awake-that was very bad behaviour.

Love Lynda XX :-(

Edited by Minkiesmum
Corrected him to her !

I agree 11 wasn't a bad age, and no amount of complaining will make a difference to the outcome.

When Shadow got put under for his gash on the shoulder, they wouldn't let him go home until he was completely awake and back to normal (if somewhat more subdued than usual, lol). I'm pretty sure that any vet worth their diplomas would do the same, I thought it was standard practice. :-?

Hve you googled around to see if there's any guidelines posted anywhere?

Pre and Post Operative Care of your Pet - BVA: Animal Welfare Foundation

and

When Your Pet Needs a General Anaesthetic vets and pet info online at vetbase.co.uk

In both of those articles, it mentions that the animal should be conscious (although may be drowsy, which is fair enough). There's certanly something not right here, but I don't know enough about animal post-op protocol to advise further. Maybe phone your own vet (if different from this one) and ask what would be standard practice?

This is so tragic caro and as you may of read my threads i can relate to it now did your hubby sign a disclaimer before the jab i ask because i feel this will be the sticky point and the vet will hide behind this but it does seem the dog was let out to soon did you have pet insurance?

it is worth investigating though because did they weigh the dog was the scales calibrated was the right dose given if they was no insurance did they talk to you about an overnight stay and the cost of this did they do a blood test first indeed there are many questions that need answers

Thanks for the advice.

I've just checked and yes a disclaimer was signed. There wasn't insurance.

My husband made his feelings very clear when he took Tara's body back to the vets, but her owner is still extremely distressed and doesn't want to pursue the matter.

I can understand in a way. He probably doesn't have long left himself and doesn't need more stress. I just hope what my husband said makes the vets look at their procedures so nobody else has to go through this.

Thanks anyway.

Greetings Caro,

My husband made his feelings very clear when he took Tara's body back to the vets, but her owner is still extremely distressed and doesn't want to pursue the matter.

That I can understand as in most cases owners want those memories to be good ones.

When I say good night to my Ella tonight I will spare a thought to him also.

PF

Please fill in your quit date here