You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

ee-bee

labour poster

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3691 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

on the b@w web site there`s a link to a face book page,outrage about some kind of poster that labour are using,the link on there wont work for me,can some clever clogs get the link please so i can have a look ,its something about the disabled

That's outrageous!Labour-Little-Britain-Poster.html

Edited by loan_ranger

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Dear o dear sense of humour lacking ,its not having a go at wheel chair users at all.Labour may well be lacking in many areas but think back riots on the streets ,poll tax,3 and a half million unemployed and that was with the Tories ,and they did it with out the help of the Banks which have got us in the mess we are in now.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

No sense of humour failure from me. I think the poster is plain and simply wrong. So which Government removes the benefit lifeline from disabled and seriously ill people? Oh, let me think a minute...

Grrrr!

glad you said that,was beginning to think maybe i had lost my sense of humour

Well, I don't find it funny, but then I don't find Little Britain funny either... Thing is, surely it's the spoof disabled stuff which is offensive in the first place? I don't see that as a hit against the disabled, they could have used any of the characters from LB, but these ones are probably the most recognisable? (as in even *I* know who they are, and I don't watch LB!!!)

If they'd used the teenage chav with the same slogan, would people find it offensive? Probably not.

What I mean is their target is not pple in wheelchairs, it's the "Little Britain" part, and even though I don't find it funny (I find very few of the sniping at another, let's see who can be the most tit for tat posters funny anyway), I don't see it as offensive. :confused:

The Internet is full of spoof ones though, and THEY make me laugh. A lot. :-D

Hi BW, you've highlighted both aspects of why the poster was offensive. The character in the wheelchair is seen getting out of it and engaging in physical activities when no-one is looking, thereby implying he is a fraud. Which gives people viewing the false belief that many people who rely on a wheelchair are themselves overplaying their disability. That Labour choose this particular character - with it's negative portrayal of disabled people - gives the impression that they don't care either. This - for me - is proven by them deliberately removing benefits from disabled, seriously ill or long-term sick. Vote Labour? I'd rather shoot myself first.

Best wishes

Rae

Hmmm... Bearing in mind that the subliminal message is what is wanted in any ad campaign, I'd analyse it very differently:

Labour are portraying the Tories as the fraudster, pretending to be what they're not, all at our expense. To reinforce the meaning that it is an anology, they actually superimpose the pictures of the "real" fraudsters. Furthermore, at the not subliminal level, they compound it with the "pun" of Great Britain/Little Britain.

(Media analysis & semantics etc, used to be one of the subjects I read at uni, can you tell?:razz:)

hi bw,i think i`m right in saying they have now removed the poster from their web site,so if it was aimed at portraying the tories as fraudsters,why remove it,

Probably because some people didn't get it (obviously!), complained that it was insulting to the disabled, and at this point of the campaign, they can't afford to alienate anyone, so took it down. As a guess. :rolleyes:

Probably because some people didn't get it (obviously!)...

Oh, I think people got it alright...

Best wishes

Rae

Edited by RaeUK

I think that this poster demonstrates the desperation and the depths that Labour have been reduced to.

As soon as a party resorts to 'knocking copy' like this, they are surely in deep trouble.

I thought it was a Photoshopped spoof when I first saw it.

Nationwide - Prelim sent 02/07 - MCOL filed 04/07 CHARGES SETTLED IN FULL!!

Woolwich- Prelim sent 04/07 - Offered 90% - 06/07 accepted

MBNA - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 03/07 - CCA reply (illegible + no T&Cs) - DCA sent packing - Restons now trying - gone quiet

Citicard - Prelim sent 02/07 - CCA request sent 04/07 - replied 04/07 No contract & not enforcing!- passed to 1st Credit- gone quiet

Egg - Prelim sent 02/08 - 3 letters - full offer 03/08 SETTLED IN FULL!!

(All starry, rep, clicky thingies gratefully received!)

Nahhh, Steve, any pubicity is good publicity didn't you know?

Every party goofs on some of their campaign, and even if they don't, the other parties make sure they say they have, lol. In this period of increasing voters apathy, anything which creates a reaction and media exposure is used and abused by all sides. Witness the TV debate, for instance. Am I the only one who thinks that reducing the democratic process to the politics X-factor is the most tasteless manipulation of all? :-( The future of the country decided over a few soundbites, who looked the best, who had the nicest tie, who had the best stage presence, who looked the most confident... Pah. :-(

I am going to vote but only because not to would be shameful, too many people fought too hard and sacrificed things in order to make sure I had that privalige. Having said that I am so sick of all the spin coming from all directions, its really hard deciphering all the BS from actual policies and am already heartily sick of seing the big three on the TV gurning like over dressed chimps.

On the subject of this poster, I dont find it offensive but I do find it lazy, the subtext is obviously a dig at the mask presented by the conservatives and how genuine are thier policies. I dont see it as an attack on disabled people.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

I think all politicians should put this in there advertisements but that would be them telling it how it is... and that would not do now…………

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money..

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. - A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B- A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. - A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. - A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. - A billion pounds ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

Building Permit Tax , Cigarette Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Income Tax, Unemployment Tax , Fishing Licence Tax, Food Licence Tax, Fuel Tax, Petrol/Diesel Tax, Hunting Licence Tax, Inheritance Tax, Inventory Tax, (tax on top of tax), Alcohol Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage Licence Tax, Property Tax , Real Estate Tax. Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax , Local Tax , Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...And our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt... We had the largest middle class in the world...

And Mum stayed home to raise the kids. What happened?

:mad: 'politicians!' :mad:

I hope this goes around at least a Billion times

What the hell happened?:confused::confused:

• Haha 1

@ Allwood, that's quite a good way of putting the economy stats in perspective. I saw this over the week-end on the BBC News web site: The UK economy = about 24 Tescos. It sort of explains why the main political parties are doing everything their big business donors ask whilst ignoring the views of the electorate.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Does make you think that a billion minutes ago jesus was alive,

The numbers are easily forgotton how large they are because we dont understand them, well I dont.

Building Permit Tax , Cigarette Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Income Tax, Unemployment Tax , Fishing Licence Tax, Food Licence Tax, Fuel Tax, Petrol/Diesel Tax, Hunting Licence Tax, Inheritance Tax, Inventory Tax, (tax on top of tax), Alcohol Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage Licence Tax, Property Tax , Real Estate Tax. Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax , Local Tax , Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...

That is the most appalling spin. You also had no health service, no protection if you lost your job, no rights, no holidays, no home of your own, high infantile death, short life span, little or no education, no workers' rights or protection, medicines were few and hugely inefficient, no dental care whatsoever, single mums were put in psychiatric asylums, and you were at the mercy of your landlord, boss or lord. There were however other types of taxes, even if they had different names. The divide between the poor and the rich was even worse then, and if you were one of the poor, your chances of making good were virtually nil. If you were one of the rich however, the law didn't really apply to you.

And our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.
Yes, thanks to a regime of absolute colonialism, like most European countries at the time.
We had absolutely no national debt
That is absolutely not true. Whilst the sum in £ may seem minimal, it represented about 30% of GDP, and that was down from when it was created. By the end of the Napoleonic wars, the national debt was over 200% of the GDP, and most of the 19th century was spent chasing the trail of the comet trying ot bring it down to manageable levels.

And Mum stayed home to raise the kids. What happened?

Well, for starters nowadays if Mum wants stay at home to watch the kids and she's not part of a couple, she will get hounded to go to work and put the kids in daycare. :rolleyes: A few of my friends, as soon as their youngest reached a certain age, they were threatened: seek work or lose your benefits. So much for encouraging family life, huh.

What also happened is that women were conned into thinking that they could be accepted on egal footing with men, and so wanted to go to work and feel valued as people instead of just being baby making machines and domestics. Unfortunately, the con was that they got allowed to go to work (usually at a portion of what a man would get), but they were STILL expected to make the babies, look after the house etc... By the time the penny dropped, their income had become an indispensable part of the houselhold budget, and do reverting back to a more traditional role became a luxury few of us can actually afford.

So whilst it is easy to blame it all on politicians, the reality is that by and large, we have done it to ourselves, and we've only got ourselves to blame. Oh sure, the corruption, the greed, the "I'm allright Jack" mentality have not helped, but ultimately, we elect those clowns, so maybe we need to take a long hard look at ourselves and how we act in society before blaming it all elsewhere.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. - A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. - A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. - A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. - A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. - A billion pounds ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

-------------------------------------------------

Edited by Allwood

So whilst it is easy to blame it all on politicians, the reality is that by and large, we have done it to ourselves, and we've only got ourselves to blame. Oh sure, the corruption, the greed, the "I'm allright Jack" mentality have not helped, but ultimately, we elect those clowns, so maybe we need to take a long hard look at ourselves and how we act in society before blaming it all elsewhere.

How can joe public be blamed for the situaton that the country is in.....it is due to GB and his predecessor TB.

I agree some people were concerned about their pensions when it became apparent that their pension that they saved for all their working lives was not there anymore for them. Some people took to buying second homes to try and compensate for their loss. However, it was the big boys that really did us in........ and the government turned a blind eye to it, as they were themselves fethering their own nest while the going was good??

As we all know, MP's took completely advantage of their position and with our money. These so called MP's purchased second homes and refubishing them with our money and made hugh profits which they pocketed....This kind of leadership trickled down all the way to local govenement. Central government gave so much power to local government officers. All these people in council's were good at was increading/bumping up their salaries. The only interest that these people at council's is making sure that they get their gold plated pensions and luractive position and their long holidays and sick pay (by the way they are always sick when you need them) also to collect their guarnateed gold plated pensions at our expensive.

It said it all about how these local government officer operates when they took time to set up a sting operation for an elderly woman, they wanted know if she would sell a gold fish to a boy, which I think was under the age of 16. She did sell the fish and she got tagged for selling it as well as being fined. This is government at it best, I do'nt think.

It is not a life style choice to get old and get aged related conditions that goes with aging. Also it is not a life style choice to be disabled. Having children is a life style choice nowadays.

I worked 16hr a week becasue I worked all my life, since I was 14. Now these lovely people at the town hall that are supposed to be helping people with disability and working, will not help pensioners. OT's team advises pensioners that a wash down will suffice if there is not sufficent fund to replace obsolete and unworkable bathroom units in that person home.

As I am pass my sell by date, if my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model.

I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull,but that's not the worst of it.

My headlights are out of focus and it's especially hard to see things up close. My traction is not as graceful as it once was.I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins. It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed. My fuel rate burns inefficiently.

But here's the worst of it, almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter.....either my radiator leaks or my exhaust backfires! :-|:oops:

Edited by Allwood