• Tweets

• Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
    • Just to clarify then, should the reason I am disputing the debt be that they have not supplied all the relevant paperwork (CCA) and the debt is therefore unenforcable?
    • https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Indeed – the creditor tried to terminate but couldn’t as the DN was faulty, and the debtor tried to terminate but couldn’t as there was no rescission.

Where’s the flaw? Was the judge right to accept termination by PH? Had PH in fact terminated?

There may well be a flaw – let’s find it!

No flaw in that part.

They attempted termination - the CCA prevented termination without a valid DN

PH allowed them to terminate via S173(3)

Now, had PH not allowed them to, they could have served a valid DN and then taken her to Court for the FULL BALANCE

So, in effect, having the early payment rebate applied due to termination PH has benefited (albeit slightly at this point)

However S140 is still there (as is a claim for damages from teh creditor's breach) and a claim issued would not carry the massive risk of appeal costs

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It pains me to have to do it again, but again I will further the creditor's argument :(

This is the section of the CCA, which allows termination.

It was hinted at by PT amid the noise so credit obviously goes to him

So basically that section of the CCA allows the Creditor to do anything providing the debtor agrees to it? is that right?

Pumpytums

So basically that section of the CCA allows the Creditor to do anything providing the debtor agrees to it? is that right?

Pumpytums

That is certainly what it seems to say ......

Shame the Claimant didn't use the argument properly in their POC or Skelly though .....

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

This is a bit chicken and egg though isn't it. The Claimant terminated and PH accepted this termination on the grounds that it was unlawful and that only the arrears were owing.

So by the Claimant using PH termination as acceptance of their termination doesn't that mean the PH grounds are now valid? They can't have their cake and eat it can they?

It like me writing to a creditor saying I accept your termination providing you pay me £1000,000 for the next 5 years. And they say well pumpytums accepted our termination have I not now added a term to the agreement.

Could this be a good angle for an appeal?

Pumpytums

No flaw in that part.

They attempted termination - the CCA prevented termination without a valid DN

PH allowed them to terminate via S173(3) But did she? She accepted an unlawful recsission – there was none! So it could not have been accepted, surely, and therefore not terminated? This is what I’m trying to clarify.

Now, had PH not allowed them to, they could have served a valid DN and then taken her to Court for the FULL BALANCE

So, in effect, having the early payment rebate applied due to termination PH has benefited (albeit slightly at this point)

However S140 is still there (as is a claim for damages from teh creditor's breach) and a claim issued would not carry the massive risk of appeal costs

I think what we’re asking is was the judge’s interpretation and acceptance of that letter as termination correct.

• Haha 1

It's a good point, the acceptance was almost 'on condition that ...'

Anyone know of a pro-bono DA Counsel who'd be willing to take it on??

PH hasn't found one yet, and it's NOT for lack of trying

Appeals are risky, the costs implication could turn a £5k Judgment debt into one several times that amount

An appeal would have to show exactly where the DJ misdirected themselves or erred in Law.

We will have to wait for the transcript to see exactly what the DJ did rule and how

IMHO, the arguments put forward on this thread are far more thorough than the claimant's own ones. (check their POC skelly and WS)

I think what we’re asking is was the judge’s interpretation and acceptance of that letter as termination correct.

I think the judge should have only accepted PH letter if he had accepted that she would only pay the arrears. Which to be honest in some cases wouldn't be that bad for the creditor.

It's worth noting that PH letter doesn't try to avoid the debt it simply accepts the Creditors wrong doings and gives them a slice of cake rather than the whole thing.

The error the judge made was to take PH letter at face value that she accepted the termination on the Claimants terms which obviously was never her intention.

Pumpytums

I do accept that point, and have argued now both for and against.

The alternative would be what? set aside the Judgment, throw the claim out and and rule that the agreement was never terminated. - That is a possible

The PH would be in the position of waiting for a new compliant DN to drop through her letterbox

(although she would still have an S140 claim imo )

The problem with a compliant DN, as I said earlier, is that failure to rectify teh breach would mean new claim for teh full amount WITHOUT early repayment refund

I do accept that point, and have argued now both for and against.

The alternative would be what? set aside the Judgment, throw the claim out and and rule that the agreement was never terminated. - That is a possible

The PH would be in the position of waiting for a new compliant DN to drop through her letterbox

(although she would still have an S140 claim imo )

The problem with a compliant DN, as I said earlier, is that failure to rectify teh breach would mean new claim for teh full amount WITHOUT early repayment refund

Which would take the status back to that as if a claim had not been made, because if a set aside were granted, the amended PoC would now be meaningless as the letter would be of no effect.

But at least then PH would have the benefit of seeing if they issued a valid DN, and would have the protection offered by being able to respond to it or at least enter into negotiations.

The claimant would also have the issue of whether they were being vexations, whether CPR 38.7 applied (which I’ve asked about several times and not got an answer), or whether there was an unfair relationship scenario. I would aver that this is a better situation than she is now in.

GH

You raise a very valid point. With Credit Card (rolling credit) agreements then any interest owed is interest actually only accumulated month by month on the balance to date - whereas with a Term Loan the interest is typically bundled in upfront and equal monthly repayments repay it along with the amount lent over the full term.

What if someone defualted on a 7 year loan after only 3 months and the creditor (unusually) jumped through all the right DN and TN hoops and legally claimed the full liabilities due right now? If this is allowed then they would therefore have been paid interest meant to be paid for a loan borrowed over 7 years in only 3 months - i.e. making the actual apr 28 times as much.

I was about to ask - surely a creditor cannot gain so much at the expense of a debtor in trouble - then I rememebered the £39 charges for bouncing cheques or Direct Debits!

However I still ask - does the CCA actually allow the 28 times hike in the apr my scenario illustrates?

The relevance of this to PH is that surely even if the agreement was somehow resurrected and the Creditor issued a new valid DN which she couldn't satisfy, surely there should still be (in interest of fairness if nothing else) some rebate allowed if the debt is repaid in full any earlier than originally envisiaged?

BD

Which would take the status back to that as if a claim had not been made, because if a set aside were granted, the amended PoC would now be meaningless as the letter would be of no effect.

That claim would fail and PH would get her costs in that claim

But at least then PH would have the benefit of seeing if they issued a valid DN, and would have the protection offered by being able to respond to it or at least enter into negotiations.

I would hate to think of the arrears at this point (no payments received since 09)

A compliant DN is not difficult quite how the creditors mess it up as they do astounds me ...

I doubt PH would be in a position to rectify a DN of 2+ years arrears

The claimant would also have the issue of whether they were being vexations, whether CPR 38.7 applied (which I’ve asked about several times and not got an answer), or whether there was an unfair relationship scenario. I would aver that this is a better situation than she is now in.

There has never been any hint of discontinuing in this case.

They did offer a stay in which to issue a new compliant DN if PH was to agree that the agreement was 'alive' (letter on thread)

GH

You raise a very valid point. With Credit Card (rolling credit) agreements then any interest owed is interest actually only accumulated month by month on the balance to date - whereas with a Term Loan the interest is typically bundled in upfront and equal monthly repayments repay it along with the amount lent over the full term.

What if someone defualted on a 7 year loan after only 3 months and the creditor (unusually) jumped through all the right DN and TN hoops and legally claimed the full liabilities due right now? If this is allowed then they would therefore have been paid interest meant to be paid for a loan borrowed over 7 years in only 3 months - i.e. making the actual apr 28 times as much.

I was about to ask - surely a creditor cannot gain so much at the expense of a debtor in trouble - then I rememebered the £39 charges for bouncing cheques or Direct Debits!

However I still ask - does the CCA actually allow the 28 times hike in the apr my scenario illustrates?

The relevance of this to PH is that surely even if the agreement was somehow resurrected and the Creditor issued a new valid DN which she couldn't satisfy, surely there should still be (in interest of fairness if nothing else) some rebate allowed if the debt is repaid in full any earlier than originally envisiaged?

BD

I would guess this would be to recompense teh creditor for the (following non rectification of a valid DN) fundamental breach of contract by the debtor

The CCA does not disallow the creditor to claim damages over and above arrears following missed payments.

The DN gives details of S129 which is in place to help a debtor out in difficulties

BTW, I really don't like having to argue from 'this side of the fence'

Edited by gh2008
to add 'by the debtor' to clear any confusion

Nothing wrong with both sides of the fence, as long as the rules are fair and the game is fair!

DB - I agree. If you can't see both sides of the fence then how would you know what was the "right" side?

GH - I'm sorry to have to agree with you when you're "over there" - but thanks anyway for proving it IS possible to argue from the other side in a civilised manner!

BD

Nothing wrong with both sides of the fence, as long as the rules are fair and the game is fair!

Just feel a bit rubbish that now the arguments have been properly explained I can see the issues. (if only the POC or even the amended had contained the arguments!!)

Still, I have a feeling that this is far from over :D

I also DO see a way forward for the accepting termination argument -

assuming Harrisons is interpreted as we believe it may i.e. DN can be reissued at any time prior to termination even after a claim is issued as that, in itself. is not enforcement.

So, by accepting termination a debtor can bring an agreement to an end, get an early settlement refund to the date of termination and only pay 8% stat from that point onwards rather than contractual.

(This is assuming an enforceable agreement and no other issues making the agreement irredeemably unenforceable)

Would certainly reduce the amount owed.

Possible claim for damages due to teh claimant's breach of contract - possibly shaky as the breach was accepted??

BUT, imho, there is a very clear unfair relationship, the initial termination notice and any demand are unfair as not permitted, nor would be any other demands DCAs or anything like that prior to termination be permitted.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks