• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

making an "amendment" to an agreement which is what you are suggesting- rather than outright termination of the whole of it- requires not only the consent of both parties- but the CCA requires in this case a new and signed agreement to reflect the amendment to the original agreement

the parties cannot simply "agree" to amend the agreement

"Ammend an agreement" sorry not with you

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:focus:

Some may forget whilst trading insults - that this thread concerns what may be a life changing issue for the OP

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Ok, I will give it a go as NO-ONE else seems to want to

(and yes, I hate arguing for 'the other side' :( )

Not having an entitlement to DEMAND sums not yet due, does not necessarily mean that they are not ENTITLED TO BE PAID sums not yet due.

So, they have an entitlement to be paid the sums, just not an entitlement to demand them

EDIT and yes, I will be mightily peed off if others now jump on this saying Oh but I've been saying that all along - as I have read the whole thread from start to finish and it has never been said.

Well done taking that on, perhaps now the gates are open a touch? My view based on that is that the CCA still requires them to jump through the hoop, doesn't matter if they demand, are they actually permitted to recover that money with the help of the court or not? Yes, they are entitled, but not 'just because' as although they are entitled they must still do something to see that entitlement through...and that's create a valid DN.

Similarly, I am entitled to go past a cinema usher to watch a movie as I've paid for a ticket. However, in order to gain the benefit of that ticket I must first present that ticket to the usher...I cannot just stomp through based on the simple fact I've paid for the ticket, I must gain entitlement by using it in the way expected.

I agree with X20's post - the ONLY dispute are to the debtor's liabilities at the termination

Does the breach by the creditor release the debtor from their future liabilities

OR does does the breach have no consequences (other than to open teh creditor up to a S140 claim and/or damages for that breach)

(I am swaying toward the latter)

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

S76 & S87 depending on whether the debtor was in breach or not (Fixed term agreement)

NO these say taht notice must be given i the creditor terminates not the debtor

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I’m not sure a link to a posting in the same thread is an example.

Anyway, in PH’s case I think a crux of this argument is whether or not the judge was correct to accept PH’s letter as termination. While pt2537 has stated he thinks this is what the judge has decided, I would aver that there may be flaws in the judge’s reasoning – as mentioned on several occasions now, if there was no rescission/repudiation, how can that letter be accepted?

According to PeterB, if it was based on no fact at all, then it is not even evidence and should be ignored, so no termination by PH has actually taken place.

So both parties are at square one, with no DN and no termination.

I agree with X20's post - the ONLY dispute are to the debtor's liabilities at the termination

Does the breach by the creditor release the debtor from their future liabilities

OR does does the breach have no consequences (other than to open teh creditor up to a S140 claim and/or damages for that breach)

(I am swaying toward the latter)

Problem with this is that there is no bereach by the creditor

Peter

GH the problem is PH has it seems in the judges view, accepted the creditors request as we shall call it to terminate

What should have occurred was the creditor being told to sod off, on the back of the bad notice

However, even with a bad notice a party can consent to enforcement being allowed and it seems this is what the judge concluded had occured here

That is my reading of it

now we are getting perilously close to the unlawful repudiation scenario............. people being able to act on "bad "notices ( acts done that are not lawful under the CCA)!

Not sure which section ogf the CCA prohibits thetermination,could you point it out

S76 & S87 depending on whether the debtor was in breach or not (Fixed term agreement)

There is the trail. You WERE referring to creditor termination

I’m not sure a link to a posting in the same thread is an example.

Anyway, in PH’s case I think a crux of this argument is whether or not the judge was correct to accept PH’s letter as termination. While pt2537 has stated he thinks this is what the judge has decided, I would aver that there may be flaws in the judge’s reasoning – as mentioned on several occasions now, if there was no rescission/repudiation, how can that letter be accepted?

According to PeterB, if it was based on no fact at all, then it is not even evidence and should be ignored, so no termination by PH has actually taken place.

Well no net really

YOU have had evidence on her in the courts and elswere no ammount o experiances is going to convince you as i say they are on here but i am araid it is up to you to find them i you are interested in the truth

Really this is the wrong way arround isnt it? YOU are putting orward an unproven theory it is not up to me to dispsove it it is ujp to you to prove surley.

I mean i could say anything , say there are pink pixies on the moon, now according to your logic this must be true because you cannot prove otherwise ,you see what i mean

Peter

Edited by Dodgeball

Well no net really

YOU have had evidence on her in the courts and elswere no ammount o experiances is going to convince you as i say they ar3e on here but i am araid it is up to you to ind them i you are interested in the truth

Really this is the wrong way arround isnt it? YOU are putting orward an unproven theory it is not up to me to dispsove it it is ujp to you to prove surley.

I mean i could say anything , say there are pink pixies on the moon, now according to your logic this must be true because you cannot prove otherwise ,you see what i mean

Peter

What on earth are you on about?

True bcause the OP term8inated,

A: Peter - surely the OP could ONLY have terminated if she also at that time paid the outstanding liabilities? Surely by not paying these then no termination from the OP can be effective?

i will keep saying it till it sinks in.

A: Peter - it is this type of snide throw away comments from you which inflame others and probably cause subsequent posts to need editing. Can you please find some less emotive/insulting language to re-inforce your points or emphasise repetition of points already made by you? .

She offered the Repudiation as part of her deffence i would say the creditor was merly react9ing to that error

See answers A: above and below in bold.

A: Peter - Who started getting it wrong? The CCA allows for the OP missing payments - but the Claimant screwed things up after that - and surely it was the OP who did the "reacting" to wrong or invalid or unlawful claims from the Claimant - not the creditor reacting to the OP's "error"?

Edited by Bigdebtor

Problem with this is that there is no bereach by the creditor

Peter

Well, I would like you to back that up showing me how the behaviour of the creditor in removing PH's right to make repayments as per the agreement, was not a breach of the agreement

I would also like you to show how issuing a termination notice, and demanding sums not yet due were also not breaches of the CCA (and possible the contract as the contract also states they cannot terminate or demand unless a 'proper notice' is served which one could take to be a notice complying with the relevant Law regulating the said agreement)

• Haha 1

There is the trail. You WERE referring to creditor termination

irstly oi thionk you said prohibits termination the sections you describe do not they sim,ply ask or notice.

Also i you exmnine them closely you will see that no notice is required in the case o breach.

Any way it was not the creditors termination that is important here it is the debtors

Peter

Well, I would like you to back that up showing me how the behaviour of the creditor in removing PH's right to make repayments as per the agreement, was not a breach of the agreement

I would also like you to show how issuing a termination notice, and demanding sums not yet due were also not breaches of the CCA (and possible the contract as the contract also states they cannot terminate or demand unless a 'proper notice' is served which one could take to be a notice complying with the relevant Law regulating the said agreement)

See previous answer

So you are saying that the judge got it spot on and may not have made an error in interpreting PH’s letter as ‘evidence’?

NO these say taht notice must be given i the creditor terminates not the debtor

The creditor terminated, they took the OP to court. The OP is allowed to view the actions of the creditor as termination, are they to ignore court papers as well 'as this isn't really happening and nothing will happen to me as they're not allowed to do this'? SJ quicker than a quick thing.

Problem with this is that there is no bereach by the creditorPeter

As they didn't issue a crappy DN, didn't issue a termination, didn't demand the whole lot right now or else and didn't take the OP to court as the termination never really happened? Exemplorary example of creditor behaviour, don;t know why any of us have problems with them at all.

I too am perhaps risking moderation now and feel pretty hacked off that the OP is gaining very little from this. I too will not be posting further on here to avoid the wrath of site team. In what world is the creditor perfect?

Copied it or you just in case

6) Subsection (1) does not apply to a right of enforcement

arising by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of the

regulated agreement.

The creditor terminated, they took the OP to court. The OP is allowed to view the actions of the creditor as termination, are they to ignore court papers as well 'as this isn't really happening and nothing will happen to me as they're not allowed to do this'? SJ quicker than a quick thing.

As they didn't issue a crappy DN, didn't issue a termination, didn't demand the whole lot right now or else and didn't take the OP to court as the termination never really happened? Exemplorary example of creditor behaviour, don;t know why any of us have problems with them at all.

I too am perhaps risking moderation now and feel pretty hacked off that the OP is gaining very little from this. I too will not be posting further on here to avoid the wrath of site team. In what world is the creditor perfect?

I think perhaps you should be thnking about what the OP has lost rom this and try not to compound the error

So you are saying that the judge got it spot on and may not have made an error in interpreting PH’s letter as ‘evidence’?

rom what i have seen i think the judge took her at her word as he was ully entitled to do

Let me put it another way for the avoidance of doubt in what I am asking:

Peter argues that a bad DN is not evidence because it is not a proper document.

PH put in a letter that was based on bad law – the facts were misstated.

According to peter’s logic, this letter’s significance should have been dismissed by the judge as its legal argument was flawed and therefore its contents should not stand.

Why should PH not be entitled to use this as an argument – and where is the flaw in the argument, which is based on peter’s arguments which he clearly deems to be 100% watertight?

I think it cased omn the act that she terminated the agrement

Sorry the OP must make her own mind about this my main concern is that no one else follows this "Advise" i think anyone reading this thread if they have a reasonable grasp of the act should see that this was a mistke and hopeully not follow in the OPs actions.

I will leave you continuing to try and justify this reopudiation nonesense

Peter

Peter, right now we’re not talking about repudiation.

You conveniently have suggested the OP makes her own mind up just when we need your answers to questions based on your own logic, and the admissibility or not of PH’s letter as evidence. Please stay the course and help the OP, like the rest of us are trying to do.

It pains me to have to do it again, but again I will further the creditor's argument :(

173 Contracting-out forbidden.

(1) A term contained in a regulated agreement or linked transaction, or in any other agreement relating to an actual or prospective regulated agreement or linked transaction, is void if, and to the extent that, it is inconsistent with a provision for the protection of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety contained in this Act or in any regulation made under this Act.

(2) Where a provision specifies the duty or liability of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety in certain circumstances, a term is inconsistent with that provision if it purports to impose, directly or indirectly, an additional duty or liability on him in those circumstances.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a provision of this Act under which a thing may be done in relation to any person on an order of the court or the [F1OFT] only (i.e. termination) shall not be taken to prevent its being done at any time with that person’s consent given at that time, but the refusal of such consent shall not give rise to any liability.

This is the section of the CCA, which allows termination.

It was hinted at by PT amid the noise so credit obviously goes to him

Indeed – the creditor tried to terminate but couldn’t as the DN was faulty, and the debtor tried to terminate but couldn’t as there was no rescission.

Where’s the flaw? Was the judge right to accept termination by PH? Had PH in fact terminated?

There may well be a flaw – let’s find it!

Let me put it another way for the avoidance of doubt in what I am asking:

Peter argues that a bad DN is not evidence because it is not a proper document.

PH put in a letter that was based on bad law – the facts were misstated.

According to peter’s logic, this letter’s significance should have been dismissed by the judge as its legal argument was flawed and therefore its contents should not stand.

Why should PH not be entitled to use this as an argument – and where is the flaw in the argument, which is based on peter’s arguments which he clearly deems to be 100% watertight?

I agree with Peter the Paper marked Default notice can not be classed as such and cannot be taken as a statutory notice, hence is useless.

PH put a statement in a letter that was based on a legal impossibility namely the UNLAWFUL termination and demand of the full balance with legal enforcement rights which we know cannot happen as only a lawful termination can demand the full balance with legal enforcement rights.

The case should have found in the Defendants favour as the Claimant had no legal enforcement rights at all. The Defendant should be allowed to counter-claim for the Claimants actions in bringing a vexatious litigation with no grounds whatsoever.

Pumpytums

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks