can British Gas disconnect me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You could try a counter-claim, however I believe this must be heard by a small claims court. The other option would be complaining to the Ombudsman, who may award financial compensation if there is justification for this. For example, if you had complained and made it clear the debt was not valid, yet they pursued the balance in this manner, I'm confident the Ombudsman would award compensation.

Also this would be a breach of OFT guidelines, so I'm sure both the OFT and Ofgem (the regulator) would be interested in hearing this!

Hiya,

I am in dispute with B.G.

I couldn't get anywhere with the call centre either.

Sent B.G my own meter reading after the last estimated one.

It was far far less by about £800.

B.G said I must have got it wrong as my reading was less than when the meter was installed.( we had a new digital one several years ago.)

I insisted that I had sent the reading in correctly.

Then I had a e-mail asking when was the meter fitted.?

Still the demands, for payment no-one came to see the reading.

Then I was told that if I didn't pay They would get a court order.

I thought good. Now we can get it sorted out !

I have received a letter Saturday, saying "they have been granted a warrant, and will be coming on Wed to fit a meter or disconnect.

How can they do this without me knowing when they were going to court.

fussalot.

Sorry to kinda hijack this thread slightly, but ive just got a letter from BG saying they have obtained a warrant of entry and are turning up on the 1st June 2010.

I have never received a letter stating a court date so i could turn up and argue my case… should i have done?

Where do I go from here? im very worried.

UKD.

UKD,

as you can see from my question, Im not familiar with the finer points but, you should have been told a date when they were going to go to a hearing. Look back at previous letters, they may have told you a date on which they were going to go.

If this was the case then, YES you should have attended on that date.

If you had attended I believe that they would "automatically" withdraw from asking for a warrant, in order to get more evidence and facts for their case.

This would have given you more time.

Usually the first thing they will then try to do is fit you with a payment meter. Cutting you off would be a last resort.

sir Fussalot

And how does it work exactly? Would they have got a warrant to enter MY premises only?

Reason i ask is that my gas meter is actually in my NEIGHBOURS garden, meaning to read it or gain access to it you have to physically get the neighbour to let you in to her rear end for a rummage?

Will they be able to enter HER premises with a warrant for MY premises? also if they fit a prepayment meter, I guess it works with a key? how would this work if I needed to get through her hedgerow every time i wanted to insert it in?

UKD

;)

UKD

make sure your GF sends them a "reading" of the meter. for the date she moved in

and then try to keep track of whats being sent to you and what they estimate. their estimates are usually well in their favour.

If they do send estimates that are "well short" of what you are using, this

is usually a false economy, and only causes problems later on. so it is best to try to "keep with it."

sir fuss

You could try a counter-claim, however I believe this must be heard by a small claims court. The other option would be complaining to the Ombudsman, who may award financial compensation if there is justification for this. For example, if you had complained and made it clear the debt was not valid, yet they pursued the balance in this manner, I'm confident the Ombudsman would award compensation.

Also this would be a breach of OFT guidelines, so I'm sure both the OFT and Ofgem (the regulator) would be interested in hearing this!

Thanks, notts - been away and have no idea how they have computed my bills but they just apply a foolhardy approach to chasing the alleged debt even when they cannot justify it. Will go with the OFT & Ombudsman approach, rather than the cc. Thanks, atom

• 2 years later...

They cannot cut you off in one of these situations: you have arranged or arrange a payment plan and they take into consideration what you afford and you stick to it, you have a sick, elderly, disabled person, or a disabled or sick child and in some cases there are young children in the house, you have paid the bill within the last 28 days, you are in serious payment hardship, attempt to work out an agreement with them and make sure in no uncertain terms they are aware of your hardship. Make sure also they have given you a reminder first and that the notice is at least 28 days after the bill was received. They cannot cut you off if the bill or account is in dispute! They will attempt to do so! Contact consumer focus or the CAB if any of the above apply. Make sure they know you are on a payment plan. Consider a re-payment meter but as a last resort. Consider having payments taken from your benefits. Ask if they have anything to help you to pay your bills. There are things they are obligated to do and disconnection has to be a last not a first resort. They are too lazy these days and resort to this as it easy for them and they can then charge you £240 to reconnect you. Also they have to give you a date and a reason on the letter. If they do not: it may be a reminder and not a disconnection notice! It may not even be legal if you have a long term medical problem and they are aware of this. Try informing them of your circumstances. They normally just ignore anything you say to them: but you never know they may have someone working there with a heart. Try their care line or priority services and try Saturday as you normally get to speak to a manager on that day. The rest of them are just idiots! Attempt to get a complaint service or an email and contact them in writing and find out if there is any help from other sources for you. They normally only disconnect as a last resort, especially this time of year!