What to expect if you get 12 points?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Hope this is the correct place to post this?

My other half just called and has told me the police just gave him a ticket for running a red light. He has been told this will result in a fine and 3 points.

He already has 6 points on his license from 2007 for speeding offences.

These are due to be removed from his license next year (Feb and April)

Im pretty ticked off with him as we just cant afford any increases in insurance premiums right now not to mention the £60 fine but he has done it now so we will have to lump it.

What I would really like is to know from anyone with experience what will happen if before next Febuary he gets another 3 points.

Reason I want to know is I want to scare him and make him realise he needs to drive with a lot more caution and stop being stressed rushing about.

Apart from the fact he could have an accident which is my biggest worry...I say that time and time again and it doesnt sink in I need to impress on him the legal type implications as that may work on him better.

I have tried to google this and some sites say 12 points and 12 month ban, some say 6, some say you can argue the case in court etc etc so I do not know.

He does need his license for his job as he drives a works van so apart from anything else no license no job.

Advise from anyone that has been in this position or knows the facts would be gratefully received.

Thanks all xx

I am pretty sure the court could also say though if you know you need your license for work why drive like a pratt!?

Well ok they wont say it like that but I think you get my meaning.

What i dont understand is this 3yr/4yr rule.

So they say points are "valid" for 3 years. But they stay on your license for 4.

Lets just say he gets done tomorrow (god forbid!)

"technically the points for speeding are no longer valid as they were just over 3 years ago but...they will still be on his license for 4 years so can the court take them in to account??

Other question is which dates are used.

On his license there is a difference between date of offence and date of conviction.

Sorry if i am over complicating this but I would rather know the facts

I am pretty sure the court could also say though if you know you need your license for work why drive like a pratt!?

Well ok they wont say it like that but I think you get my meaning.

What i dont understand is this 3yr/4yr rule.

So they say points are "valid" for 3 years. But they stay on your license for 4.

Lets just say he gets done tomorrow (god forbid!)

"technically the points for speeding are no longer valid as they were just over 3 years ago but...they will still be on his license for 4 years so can the court take them in to account??

No. That is why they are no longer VALID.

Other question is which dates are used.

On his license there is a difference between date of offence and date of conviction.

Sorry if i am over complicating this but I would rather know the facts

If he is a habitual speeder then buy him a Road Angel, Talex or similar camera locator so he stands a sporting chance of not getting caught jumping red lights or running foul of speed traps. May even have the effect of slowing him down permanently (as will 12 points for a while). Not a 100% and you can always be followed by a police car so better not to speed in the first place

Points only count for three years but stay on license for 4 and insurance companies take them into account for 5 years.

Seem to recall reading that it is possible to request a voluntary ban of a short period that will wipe the license clean if on 6 or 9 points - can anyone confirm this ?