• Tweets

• Your client already settled one claim of an unfair contract before it reached the courts, and they know from previous correspondence that I am aware of that case. please expand upon this case you refer too.   You believe you had provided proof timeously to demonstrate your earnings were below the threshold, therefore a default notice should not have been issued on 15th October 2018 and the account should have been deferred. - have you a copy of the DN?     I believe I have complied with the requirements as set out in the relevant legislation to have had the loan deferred and subsequently written off upon my 50th birthday. - when did you reach 60yrs?   In relation to the above matter being “non-existent” or “not owed”, our client’s stance regarding these points remains as previously set out in their final response letter dated 2 September 2019, they will not be addressing these points again and you remain liable for the full balance outstanding. have you a copy please?
    • I am so pleased that you won. Sometimes you do all the hard work and the Judge picks on just one of the reasons and goes with it. As simple as that. Other times you really have to work at it especially with a Judge who is not as up to speed with differences between stopping and parking. So well done for going there and putting your case.  A well deserved outcome.  
    • Hi dx1000,   Thanks for replying. I checked out that website but when I went there all I am greeted with is just the name of the site in black letters on a white background, there is nothing else to click on. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but do you know if it's working at the moment?   I'm assuming therefore that I will have to let the council issue their Liability Order and then arrange some type of repayment plan, is that it? The problem I have is freeing up any money to just give them £5 a month is almost impossible, but I guess I will have to try something.   I get £1250 a month. Rent for my one bedroom flat is £825 per month, then bills and food plus I am paying back around 4 other debts and advances which DWP automatically take from my Universal Credit each month leaves me with nothing.   Thanks for clarifying the enforcement powers they have, that does worry me a lot. I guess my question would be how far does it get for them to threaten me with prison as I know that's a power they have isn't it?    Thanks.   Walshy    
    • Rishi Sunak to also launch a 'flexi-job' scheme so people can work for several firms at once. View the full article
    • This is confusing.  Are you using a different username than the one you started with?
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Can anyone recommend a Public Access Barrister in London

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3963 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I could really do with some help, the one barrister who was recommended was too busy to take on any more cases.

Found one.

What surprised me (and shouldn't have given the rising number of court cases) was that a lot of barristers are too busy to take on new cases, plus a lot of them have an amount threshold, so if your claim isn't for more than a certain amount they won't take it on.

There seems to be a real gap in the market, there is nothing halfway between The CAB and a Barrister, but it seems a lot of people on here (me included) need someone knowledgeable to sit down with, give an overview and answer some specific questions about their case.

Edited by dp77