prepayment metre/tenants gone/now crappy quest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been Asked To Help On This One, Stay With Me As Its Third Hand Information

1/ Landlords Lets House With Three Flats In It

2/ Each Flat Has A Prepayment Metre In There Name

3/ 10 Years Ago Theses Tenants Move Out

4/ Crappy Quest Contact Landlord For Debt Incured, This Being Standing Charges Etc After They Move Out

5/ Landlord Says Bog Off, Not In My Name Etc

My Question Is

Has The Utility Company/crappy Quest Have Any Legal Claim On The Landlord And Even Though He Has Been In Touch With Crappy Quest To Say Bog Off, In A Way, Acknowledge The Debt,

it Must Be Statute Barred At The Very Least, Besides The Debt Not Being In His Name

Comments Please

CQ have got alot of these debts recently.

if the utility co wanted their money they would have asked years ago.

there is also the billing guidelines/code. cant chase anything older the 1yrs if no bill was ever sent by them.

ignore!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If the energy supplier was advised of the change of tenancy and did not action the homemove to set the account into the landlord's name, the billing code will apply. If they were not advised, the billing code does not apply and the debt is payable.

When a rented property is vacated by tenants, the liability falls back with the landlord for any electricity charges accrued.

If the account was billed but there has been no follow-up for 6 years, the debt is statute-barred but I'm not an expert on how this works.

thanks nott

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If the energy supplier was advised of the change of tenancy and did not action the homemove to set the account into the landlord's name, the billing code will apply. If they were not advised, the billing code does not apply and the debt is payable.

When a rented property is vacated by tenants, the liability falls back with the landlord for any electricity charges accrued.

If the account was billed but there has been no follow-up for 6 years, the debt is statute-barred but I'm not an expert on how this works.

CAN YOU GIVE A LINK TO THAT LEGISLATION

MANY THANKS

When a rented property is vacated by tenants, the liability falls back with the landlord for any electricity charges accrued

Just to be sure that people are reading the above the right way.

On a deemed contract.

The liability for utility bills lies with the occupier i.e. with the tenants and that liability does not fall back to the landlord when the tenants move. After a tenant vacates the landlord becomes the occupier and is liable for bills until the property is relet at which time the new occupiers are responsible.

Occasionally a landlord will agree to pay the utility bills and collect for them in the rent.

If the landlord has a written contract with the utility then there is no deemed contact and the landlord is responsible to the utility for all bills.

If their is only a deemed contract the utility will seek payment from the occupier whether tenant or landlord. A tenant can be forced to pay and will then have to seek repayment from the landlord. The landlord has no liability to pay the utility direct except when he is in occupation.

in my experience, utilities will put debts into the name of a tenant where a tenancy agreement is received confirming the details required, such as dated contract and property information.

Pelham I know you disagree with the deemed contract system, but who should be charged when a property is vacant for the cost of the meter (standing charge) should we all stomach higher energy bills???

Pelham I know you disagree with the deemed contract system, but who should be charged when a property is vacant for the cost of the meter (standing charge) should we all stomach higher energy bills???

I am sorry that my previous post did not make this point clear.

Deemed contracts are with occupiers (all of them) and clearly tenants are occupiers. At the end of a tenancy the landlord is the occupier until the start of a new tenancy. The tenants give up occupancy to the landlord.

It is unlikely that the landlord will physically live in the property but he will need to redecorate and show prospective tenants around and he will be responsible for any utility costs during the time between tenancies.

Deemed contracts would be fine if

a) the utilities had adequate systems to monitor them.

b) utililies made a concerted effort to educate consumers on the implications of deemed contracts. Many consumers have no idea that to make deemed contracts work satisfactorly for them the utility expects them to inform the utility of the fact of occupancy.

c) the joint and several nature of deemed contracts were removed.

should we all stomach higher energy bills???

If the utilities were a service industries without a profit motive that remark would be justified. If the utilities were properly regulated and fully competetive any losses due to inefficiencies would result in lower profits not higher energy bills.