Will Royal Mail employ someone with a drink driving conviction?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice here...

Today i had an interview for a postman with royal mail. The interview went great and i'm convinced that if i did'nt have a drink driving conviction the job would be in the bag :(.

I did declare the conviction on the application form and it was 3 years ago the offence took place. The list of convictions that would prevent RM from employing someone does not include drink driving but the guy at the interview advised me that it could pose a problem...if this was the case why invite me for an interview in the first place after i had already declared the conviction?

Any help is much appriciated :)

Depends on the terms of their corporate insurance policy but speaking from personal experience as a former company car driver it never hindered me. As soon as my ban was up I moved into a filed based role with a new employer and with a company car provided and to two further employers again too within five years (after five years the ban doesn't count as far as insurance goes).

Weirdly, they only were ever concerned about the points on a licence - 6 points or under and you were fine. DD offences were never an obstacle. Of course the Royal Mail may be different. I mentioned mine at a first interview once - the interviewer wasn't sure like yours, said he'd check etc and I heard no more on the subject...and I did get the job.

Have no fears matey, Royal mail employ anyone who can walk....I know jail birds , ex druggies and ex convicts that are currently working for the Royal Mail.

Good luck with your new job.

Have no fear, Royal Mail employ anyone who can walk.

I know of Ex jailbirds, ex druggies and Ex cons who continue to work for the Royal Mail.

I also know a father of a murderer who currently works for the Royal Mail.

Have no fear, Royal Mail employ anyone who can walk.

I know of Ex jailbirds, ex druggies and Ex cons who continue to work for the Royal Mail.

I also know a father of a murderer who currently works for the Royal Mail.

that comment is a bit naughty

when i started with royal mail i had to sign the official secrets act

any new starters have to go through a crb check

the only exception to this are the casual staff with dubiouse reputations being employed on a casual basis through employment agencies

royal mail stated three years ago it will no longer be using casual staff but take the swindon mail centre

there are more casuals there than regular postman

your post paints royal mail employees as con men for which i object

rant over

Hi all

My husband applied for one of these jobs last year.

He had previous DD on his licence from 5 years before that but obviously it stays on for I think 10 years.

He was honest and declared it and they were totally fine.

They did go on to offer him the job in fact but he didnt take it as was offered something elsewhere with more hours.

I wouldnt worry about it as long as you are honest about your license they thats fine :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

The post was advertised as postman with driving. But as i say, i was up front about the conviction on the application.

Still not heard back but i think they are interviewing in to the middle of next week so fingers crossed!

that comment is a bit naughty

when i started with royal mail i had to sign the official secrets act

any new starters have to go through a crb check

the only exception to this are the casual staff with dubiouse reputations being employed on a casual basis through employment agencies

royal mail stated three years ago it will no longer be using casual staff but take the swindon mail centre

there are more casuals there than regular postman

your post paints royal mail employees as con men for which i object

rant over

My post does not paint Royal Mail employees as conmen,

I am merely stating facts some of which youe seem to agree with regarding the casuals.

take it easy and enjoy the summer.

Have no fears,RM make out that they are checking this and that, but they don`t check anything.........it costs them too much......why do you think they have vacancies in a recession, just go and check RM`s turnover of staff.

• 5 months later...

here this and its fact.

NOT all DDs are on ur licence for 11 years.DR10 to 30 are but NOT DR 40 to 70 .DR60 is refusing to provide a breath test and is on ur licence for only 4 years. However insurance companies require you to give convictions from 5 years.Basicly if you know your over the limit , refuse the test, get ur ban and its over in 5 years and not the 11.

Im trying to find out if company insurances only account for convictions under 5 years ....

here this and its fact.

NOT all DDs are on ur licence for 11 years.DR10 to 30 are but NOT DR 40 to 70 .DR60 is refusing to provide a breath test and is on ur licence for only 4 years. However insurance companies require you to give convictions from 5 years.Basicly if you know your over the limit , refuse the test, get ur ban and its over in 5 years and not the 11.

Im trying to find out if company insurances only account for convictions under 5 years ....

Not the best advice. Refusing a breath test is on licence for 4 years, however refuse that and most likely they will ask for blood, refuse the blood as well and you will get DR30, sticks for 11 years.

In addition a ban due to refusal will be seen by insurance as being in the worst category of seriousness, whereas as being slightly over may not preclude them from quoting.

• 3 weeks later...