Greenwoods trying to collect an old Provident loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to the site, which I found looking for advice for a friend who doesn't have internet access.

Basically she has loans with Greenwoods, a woman comes to the door weekly, and she's never missed a payment. Yesterday, after collecting as normal, the agent says "btw, we've bought some debts from Provident, and one of them is yours. We'd like you to pay back this much a week". She circled £25 in her book, and leaned it towards her. "I can't afford that" my friend replies, "I already pay you £40 a week, how about £5?" and the agent says she'll ask her boss and come back in a day or two.

After she's sat down, she's unhappy about the whole incident. She remembers being told once that debts can't be transferred as she hasn't signed an agreement with the new company, and wonders if she doesn't have to pay this at all?

The original debt may be more than 6 years old, she's not sure. She only stopped paying it originally because the agent stopped calling. She recalls a phone call from provident long ago, when again she made an offer and then they never contacted her again.

Now to me, this just seems wrong, that a collector for one company can suddenly ask for money for an old debt to another, and provide no documentation. I've seen the template letters for CCA requests but how does she go about that when she's not responding to a letter, but a verbal request on the doorstep?

Sorry if this is all covered in other threads, but the sheer amount of information here is overwhelming for a first visit :)

greenwoods are provident sadly.

there are a couple of good threads i will find them for you.

but certainly CCA them.

a door step caller has no more rights than the milkman.

they have no legal powers and are not bailiffs.

bugger and off are two words.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the help. I appreciate that Greenwoods and Provident are the same but the agent definitely said Greenwoods had bought some loans from Provident so I guess she was trying to give the impression they were different.

The agent called back today, my friend told her she wasn't agreeing to pay this old debt. Apparently the agent agreed with her (and disclosed that she herself has moved house without telling provident in the past and worries they'll catch up with her even though she works for them!).

Anyway, if/when she hears something in writing I'll update the thread. Thanks again :)

:D

dx

and they

same action

dx

and they