provident...scotcall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes Snotcall, very well known on here, very amusing outfit!

Formal complaint to the OFT TS via: Consumer Direct

Aswell as telling Provident to furnish you with a copy of thei complaints procedure, and Snotcalls, if they have such a thing.

This is almost as bad as sending your details direct to a debt management company without your knowledge, so this is the new trick for 2010 is it!

Won't be too long before this is stopped, well hopefully, the more complaints the better.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

LMAO

So now DCA's are acting on behalf of other DCA's who had no joy collecting a debt.

LOL what makes them think that the other DCA acting on their behalf is going to have anymore luck then they did! :rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Provident are a Doorstep 'Lender', they supply loans to those with bad or poor credit ratings.

The sole fact that the DCA has passed on your personal confidential information to a company who offers loans, in order for you to pay off the debt, is extremely unorthodox, and I would hope will be deemed as such by the OFT when they are informed of this growing malpractice.

Anyone else who has had this kind of approach MUST make a formal complaint to the OFT and TS via Consumer Direct

Plus make a formal complaint to Cash loans, bad credit loans & doorstep loans £50 to £500 | Provident Personal Credit and ask them for their complaints procedure to be sent out to you.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

They also act as debt collector too! see article below.

Looking for work? Debt collectors are in demand in the UK - Telegraph

i certainly do not condone scotcall passing the debt on though.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

No Provident are NOT debt collectors, they are a doorstep loans company who charge a typical APR of 272.2% and are accessible to the less fortunate who have nowhere else to turn.

The link states that they are 'planning to 'hire' more debt collectors', this simply means that as they lend money to 'high risk' applicants, in order for them to retrieve their money, they are required to seek the services of debt collectors.

Agreed the passing on of an 'alleged debtors' information is extremely underhand...again!

Guest Cartaphilus

Regarding, that link. No thanks, I'd rather sell my soul than have a job like that.

I've seen them on the doorsteps of people in the region, either gaining new clients or collecting weekly payments (no idea if they do as I only know what they are not how they operate in terms of how they receive payments); they stand out like sore thumbs.

No Provident are NOT debt collectors, they are a doorstep loans company who charge a typical APR of 272.2% and are accessible to the less fortunate who have nowhere else to turn.

The link states that they are 'planning to 'hire' more debt collectors', this simply means that as they lend money to 'high risk' applicants, in order for them to retrieve their money, they are required to seek the services of debt collectors.

Agreed the passing on of an 'alleged debtors' information is extremely underhand...again!

I think you find they are, therefore they are debt collectors aswell as creditors

Application / Licence Details

Licence Number:0139819

Licence Status:Lapsed on 07/09/2008

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business NameCompany Registration Number Provident Financial plc668987

Categories:

Consumer credit Credit brokerage Credit reference agency Debt adjusting/counselling Debt collecting

Right To Canvass Off Trade Premises:Yes

Trading Name(s) (Current):

Provident Financial Provident Financial Group

Issued Date: 30-Jun-1983

Legal Formation:

Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)

Current Individuals that run the organisation:

NamePosition Christopher John RodriguesOFFICER John Arthur HarnettOFFICER John Hunter MaxwellOFFICER Kenneth John Mullen Mr Andrew Charles FisherOFFICER Mr Antony John HalesOFFICER Mr Charles Henry GregsonOFFICER Mr John Philip De Blocq Van KuffelerOFFICER Mr Robert Eric HoughOFFICER Ms Angela Christine Mary HeylinOFFICER Peter Stuart CrookOFFICER Raymond Reginald MilesOFFICER Rosamond Joy Marshall SmithOFFICER

Historic Individuals that run the organisation:

NamePosition Andrew Gerald ThomasOFFICER Christopher Charles JohnstoneOFFICER Howard James BellOFFICER Ian Hugh ChippendaleOFFICER Lord ChelmerOFFICER Mr Alan Bernard BrookerOFFICER Mr Brian Peter HoggOFFICER Mr David Richard SwannOFFICER Mr Derek Leslie WhiteheadOFFICER Mr Edward DaviesOFFICER Mr Frederick GrantOFFICER Mr Gordon Henry CartwrightOFFICER Mr Graham Fenwick PimlottOFFICER Mr J HutchinsonOFFICER Mr James Clifford HodkinsonOFFICER Mr Peter Anthony DavisOFFICER Mr Peter Roger FryerOFFICER Mr Peter William BrethertonOFFICER Mr Roger Stewart PawsonOFFICER Mr Timothy Peter GeoffreyOFFICER Mr William George Antony Warde-NorburyOFFICER Peter William BrethertonOFFICER Robin James AshtonOFFICER Sir Timothy Peter Geoffrey KitsonOFFICER

Nature of Business:

Other

Current Address(es):

Address TypeAddress CorrespondenceColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LQ Principal Place Of BusinessColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LQ Registered OfficeColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LQ

Historic Address(es):

Address TypeAddress Principal Place Of BusinessColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LQ Registered OfficeColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorks Registered OfficeColonnade, Sunbridge Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD1 2LQ

You automtically and wrongly assumed that the article was refering to them purchasing the services of debt collectors, when the article clearly stated hiring of debt collectors therefore employing people to act as a debt collector and not simply purchasing their services.

Qoute from the Article

"Provident aims to hire between 200 and 250 people this year, around 80 of whom will go door-to-door to retrieve outstanding debts. Collection accounts for "99pc of the man hours," according to chief executive Peter Crook"

P.S. their still **** though no matter what lol

Edited by teaboy2

Guest Cartaphilus

Hmm, perfect for them then. As they already operate on the doorstep anyway by nature of how they do business through 'local representatives'. Why not now do it in one go.

emailed provident and also complained to consumer direct. provident have emailed me there complaints procedure which seems to stretch out over six months and then they say i can contact the fsa.....screw that. they are asking me to sign a repayment plan to them so that scotcall can "assign" the debt. so in effect, they are asking me to sign up for a loan with them.....they will not get one penny of my money!!!

Not quite sure I understand that? Are you saying that, to go through their complaints procedure, they have a time scale of six months in which to satisfy your complaint, and then you will be able to escalate it to the FOS?

Or have they said that, they don't agree that you have a valid dispute/complaint with them and if you wish to persist, to make a complaint to the FOS?

I wouldn't let that put you off at all, in fact I would continue the complaint until they are forced to issue you with a deadlock letter, it will be sooner than six months, guaranteed.

Glad to hear that you haven't signed any 'new' agreement with them, again, that should form part of your complaint.

Not too sure where you found that info from teaboy, but it is out of date somewhat;

Name & Registered Office:

PROVIDENT FINANCIAL PLC

COLONNADE

SUNBRIDGE ROAD

BRADFORD

WEST YORKSHIRE

BD1 2LQ

Company No. 00668987

Date of Incorporation: 31/08/1960

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Public Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

6523 - Other financial intermediation

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2008 (GROUP)

Next Accounts Due: 30/06/2010

Last Return Made Up To: 30/09/2009

Next Return Due: 28/10/2010

Last Members List: 30/09/2009

Last Bulk Shareholders List: 30/09/2009 Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name 10/12/1990 PROVIDENT FINANCIAL GROUP PLC

WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

And their nature of business states that they are in the business of financial intermediation which consists of channelling funds between surplus and deficit agents, or in layman's terms, the process of taking in money so that it can be made available to individuals or institutions in the forms of loans or investment.

Nowhere on Provident's website or Provident Financial Groups site does it mention Debt collecting, simply because they are not debt collectors, anyhow back to matters in hand and helping marie6666red.

Boo;)

they are asking me to sign a repayment plan to them so that scotcall can "assign" the debt. so in effect, they are asking me to sign up for a loan with them.....

Physical/psychological harassment

2.5 Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

a. contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervals

b. pressurising debtors to sell property, to raise funds by further

borrowing or to extend their borrowing

c. using more than one debt collection business at the same time

resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties

d. not ensuring that an adequate history of the debt is passed on as

appropriate resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different

parties

e. not informing the debtor when their case has been passed on to a

different debt collector

f. pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments,

or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

g. making threatening statements or gestures or taking actions which

suggest harm to debtors

h. ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are

disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

i. disclosing or threatening to disclose debt details to third parties unless

legally entitled to do so

j. acting in a way likely to be publicly embarrassing to the debtor either

deliberately or through lack of care, for example, by not putting

correspondence in a sealed envelope and putting it through a letterbox,

thereby running the risk that it could be read by third parties.

see page 5 http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Not quite sure I understand that? Are you saying that, to go through their complaints procedure, they have a time scale of six months in which to satisfy your complaint, and then you will be able to escalate it to the FOS?

Or have they said that, they don't agree that you have a valid dispute/complaint with them and if you wish to persist, to make a complaint to the FOS?

I wouldn't let that put you off at all, in fact I would continue the complaint until they are forced to issue you with a deadlock letter, it will be sooner than six months, guaranteed.

Glad to hear that you haven't signed any 'new' agreement with them, again, that should form part of your complaint.

Not too sure where you found that info from teaboy, but it is out of date somewhat;

WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

And their nature of business states that they are in the business of financial intermediation which consists of channelling funds between surplus and deficit agents, or in layman's terms, the process of taking in money so that it can be made available to individuals or institutions in the forms of loans or investment.

Nowhere on Provident's website or Provident Financial Groups site does it mention Debt collecting, simply because they are not debt collectors, anyhow back to matters in hand and helping marie6666red.

Boo;)

Info was taken from the OFT consumer credit register, also just because company house doesn't include anything about them being debt collectors doesnt mean they aren't. its their license details that matter, and all though the license has lapse doesnt mean the information is out of date as usually its a simple case of the OFT not having yet updated the register, which can take months in some cases.

Heres the link to the OFTs register for consumer credit licenses, simply click the CCA search link on the right and enter providents financials company number (minus the 0's so just 668987), or try their credit license number.

Public Register

Anyway either way its besides the point, as neither of use agree with their methods and both think their **** anyway. and it sure looks to me that their method of debt collecting is by offering Scotcall a reduced amount to purchase the debt, and allowing the OP to make monthly repayments, claiming theirs no interets, so it sound like they giving the OP a loan, to pay off the debt only to then repay them for the loan but at xero interest, or was the other thread where they were offering zero interest? eitherway i bet it the same offer here.

Edited by teaboy2

Yes I'll agree to disagree, but saying Provident are debt collectors, is exactly like saying all high street banks are debt collectors, as at some point they will all recall money owed by their 'customers' and I use that term very loosely.

What Snotcall are doing in effect is passing on the alleged debtors information to Provident, who in turn are telling the 'alleged debtor' that they can offer them a loan at a much discounted sum to pay off the debt, therby drumming up business for themselves, and earning extra each time some 'alleged debtor' accepts Providents offer of a loan, and being paid back handers 'allegedly' from the DCA.

Exactly why the OFT put in place the guidelines to stop DCA's from passing on the alleged debtors details to DMC's without the express knowledge or say so by the debtor.

This is in the same ball park, and as Cerbs has pointed out already under the very same guidelines, under Phys/Psycho Harassment

2.5.b pressurising debtors to sell property, to raise funds by further

borrowing or to extend their borrowing

Needs to be complained about so this can be reigned in sooner rather than later.

I am sure we are both saying the same thing, just in different ways.

:oops: ahem ahem, excuse me whilst I choke on this Humble pie.....after much digging around an apology is in order, I do apologise teaboy;

Provident Are Licenced for

debt collectionlink3.gif

They Trade As Wiseman Debt Collections

EXPRESS DEBT COLLECTING

greenwood debt collection

I shall continue eating this pie!......:oops:

lol no apology needed Boo.

And yes i totally agree with everything you said about what scotcall and provident are doing. And their actions certainly need investigating, because it does look like they are attempting to stealthly hide the fact its a loan to scotcall and that the person scotcall has accused of the debt is the one paying the loan back!

hi its me again cerberusalert said that the original dca redcats is a catalogue co, well i havent bought from a catalogue for donkeys years, so whatever it is it is statute barred. i mis read the info in letter. they give themselves eight weeks to satisfy complaint and i then have six months to complain to fso......too late....

have noticed another thread today headed greenwoods chasing debtt for provident. yet above they are said to be the same company....