PLEASE HELP ME RETAIL LOSS PREVENTION ARE SAYING I OWE £137 I cannot afford this

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI GUYS,

I was hoping you could see past my most STUPID MISTAKE and help me as I just do not know what to do. I was shopping with my father in morrisons good friday, (my partner lost his job last year and since then we have been struggling to keep our home as debts have mounted since this, thankfuly my father has helped us so much and he was paying for my shopping), as my father was looking at items up one isle I went to another and selected 2 cosmetics I really need to wear makeup as I have terrible skin, but i thought my father has done so much for me I couldnt possibly ask him to buy what he would see been a man as non essential, and if he saw me get them he would think well how can you manage to buy them so I placed them into my bag out of sight not even thinking what it would look like, I really did have every intention of paying for them and I was certainly going to do so. We finished our shopping and paid for all the goods in the trolley, I was conscous of the fact I had the items in my bag and needed to get rid of dad so I could pay for them, I finally managed to get rid of him by popping to the cigerette counter whilst he went to the car, but as I turned away from the counter a man approached me and introduced himself as a store detective. I was taken to an office and I explained I wasnt stealing and I was going to pay for the goods but he just would NOT listen he wasnt prepared to, I felt so stupid I cried and cried and begged him not to call the police but my pleas did no good. The police arrived and arrested me, my dad was so ashamed I was too how did I let this happen. As I was leaving the room the store detective handed me a notice of intent for the store to recover costs I didnt think this applied to myself as the store had the goods back undamaged, I offered to pay and they refused, it said that the recovery was seperate from anypolice proceedings.

I was taken to the police station and thankfully the officers took pity on me and cautioned me, they said I was lucky not to go to court I explained about the notice the guy gave me and even the custody policeman said or I dont think that applies to you as you have been dealt with by ourselves and you would only get a fine if you went to court but we have decided because of the circumstances to caution you. We think a fine would only add to the reason behind this in the first place and we work to prevent this sort of thing and to help people not to make their problems worse.

I really had learnt my lesson I couldnt face my father I was so ashamed why didnt I just ask or make sure I went to pay whether dad saw or not as anything was better than this.

I have just managed to put the ordeal behind me when I recieved a letter this morning from RETAIL LOSS PREVENTION

TOTAL VALUE OF GOODS £11.96

RECOVERED GOODS - £11.96

STAFF MANAGEMENT TIME INVESTIGATING DEALING WITH INCIDENT - £82.50

ADMIN COSTS - £24.75

SUVELLIENCE COSTS - £30.25

TOTAL - £137.50

THEY SAY IF I PAY £110 IN FULL WITHIN 21 DAYS THAT WILL DO. I was dealt with by the police they do not know I only got a caution for all they know I could of recieved a hefty fine.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO??? CAN THEY SEND BALIFFS??? THIS ALL I NEED ONTOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE I KNOW MANY WILL SAY ITS MY OWN FAULT BUT I NEVER WALKED OUT THAT STORE. I AM SO SCARED AS THEY SAY EVERY DAY ITS OUTSTANDING INTEREST OF 8% WILL INCURR. Has anyone had dealings with retail loss prevention? I REALLY CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THIS BUT I AM SCARED THEY WILL SEND BALIFFS AND THE TOTAL WILL BE INCREASED AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY ANYWAY, BUT MY FATHER IS ADVISING NOT TO PAY AS ITS WRONG £137 INTO THERE POCKETS MULTI MILLION POUND BUSINESSES. ITS SCANDLESS AND WRONG.

PLEASE SEE PAST MY STUPID MISTAKE AND HELP ME

Edited by iam daft

Seriously you dont have to pay it, they wont take you to court for it.

Try not to worry, You made a mistake and they wouldnt listen.

I have little sympathy for people knicking stuff, especially for resale etc, but more sympathy to those desperate, but to be honest you didnt intend to leave the store without paying in the first place and with a father paying for your food, I can see how you wouldnt want him to see you getting makeup.

I took a product back to tescos the other day and was told to hold onto it and see if I wanted anything else in the store and if so, return to customer services through the tills and they would process it there. I didnt see anything other than some choccy and felt uncomfortable walking through the tills to the desk in case approached for not paying, this is also by the cigarette counter.

I was told its alright walk through, people often pay there anyhow if not busy.

So you see as you didnt even leave the store and stopped you paying at the desk there, I feel they were a little to over keen to stop you.

xxx Your not daft, just human by the way, so dont pay it and ignore their threat letters. They havnt taken anyone to court on here yet whose refused to pay.

its a [problem]

they cannot send bailiffs

do some reading here.

ignore them totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry me again, if you need any advice regarding the debt your in, as in being hastled by dcas and need to know how to get help, you can post on the debt forum and some friendly caggers will help. Best to start a seperate thread for each account and the advice will flow....xx

thanx so much too u all I have been reading a few threads and saw the advice is always the same do not pay, but I am trying to find some with the final outcome, I know somebody ignored all correspondance and recieved letters from debt collectors but I dont know how far that went. I am just so scared incase it affects my credit or the amount ends up going up even further. thank you so much guys x

it wont.

sadly few people comeback to tell us the outcome...sad really, they soon screamed when they wanted help......

safe to say no-one has ever been to court.

it s a [problem], just ilke the private parking ticket 'invoices'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it wont.

sadly few people comeback to tell us the outcome...sad really, they soon screamed when they wanted help......

safe to say no-one has ever been to court.

it s a [problem], just ilke the private parking ticket 'invoices'

dx

That may be because matters are now in litigation;)

• 2 weeks later...
HI GUYS,

I was hoping you could see past my most STUPID MISTAKE and help me as I just do not know what to do. I was shopping with my father in morrisons good friday, (my partner lost his job last year and since then we have been struggling to keep our home as debts have mounted since this, thankfuly my father has helped us so much and he was paying for my shopping), as my father was looking at items up one isle I went to another and selected 2 cosmetics I really need to wear makeup as I have terrible skin, but i thought my father has done so much for me I couldnt possibly ask him to buy what he would see been a man as non essential, and if he saw me get them he would think well how can you manage to buy them so I placed them into my bag out of sight not even thinking what it would look like, I really did have every intention of paying for them and I was certainly going to do so. We finished our shopping and paid for all the goods in the trolley, I was conscous of the fact I had the items in my bag and needed to get rid of dad so I could pay for them, I finally managed to get rid of him by popping to the cigerette counter whilst he went to the car, but as I turned away from the counter a man approached me and introduced himself as a store detective. I was taken to an office and I explained I wasnt stealing and I was going to pay for the goods but he just would NOT listen he wasnt prepared to, I felt so stupid I cried and cried and begged him not to call the police but my pleas did no good. The police arrived and arrested me, my dad was so ashamed I was too how did I let this happen. As I was leaving the room the store detective handed me a notice of intent for the store to recover costs I didnt think this applied to myself as the store had the goods back undamaged, I offered to pay and they refused, it said that the recovery was seperate from anypolice proceedings.

I was taken to the police station and thankfully the officers took pity on me and cautioned me, they said I was lucky not to go to court I explained about the notice the guy gave me and even the custody policeman said or I dont think that applies to you as you have been dealt with by ourselves and you would only get a fine if you went to court but we have decided because of the circumstances to caution you. We think a fine would only add to the reason behind this in the first place and we work to prevent this sort of thing and to help people not to make their problems worse.

I really had learnt my lesson I couldnt face my father I was so ashamed why didnt I just ask or make sure I went to pay whether dad saw or not as anything was better than this.

I have just managed to put the ordeal behind me when I recieved a letter this morning from RETAIL LOSS PREVENTION

TOTAL VALUE OF GOODS £11.96

RECOVERED GOODS - £11.96

STAFF MANAGEMENT TIME INVESTIGATING DEALING WITH INCIDENT - £82.50

ADMIN COSTS - £24.75

SUVELLIENCE COSTS - £30.25

TOTAL - £137.50

THEY SAY IF I PAY £110 IN FULL WITHIN 21 DAYS THAT WILL DO. I was dealt with by the police they do not know I only got a caution for all they know I could of recieved a hefty fine.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO??? CAN THEY SEND BALIFFS??? THIS ALL I NEED ONTOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE I KNOW MANY WILL SAY ITS MY OWN FAULT BUT I NEVER WALKED OUT THAT STORE. I AM SO SCARED AS THEY SAY EVERY DAY ITS OUTSTANDING INTEREST OF 8% WILL INCURR. Has anyone had dealings with retail loss prevention? I REALLY CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THIS BUT I AM SCARED THEY WILL SEND BALIFFS AND THE TOTAL WILL BE INCREASED AND I WILL HAVE TO PAY ANYWAY, BUT MY FATHER IS ADVISING NOT TO PAY AS ITS WRONG £137 INTO THERE POCKETS MULTI MILLION POUND BUSINESSES. ITS SCANDLESS AND WRONG.

PLEASE SEE PAST MY STUPID MISTAKE AND HELP ME

sounds a simple question, did you actually LEAVE the store? and by that i mean cross THROUGH the doors leading out of the store?

could you have paid at the cigaretter counter?

you see, until you have left the store, there is no intent to deprive the store of its goods, and as you were at a counter where you could have paid for the goods you can argue that you intended to pay for the goods at the cigarette counter but the store security guard stopped you doing so.

im my opinion the store security guard has dropped the ball severely but not waiting until you left the store, as you have shown no intent to willingly deprive them of their goods, as you still had chance to pay until the guard interferred with you.

i will bow to Jons knowledge on this, but i am almost 100% certaint that if you did not leave the store and were still at a stage where you vould pay, no crime has been committed, CCTV evidence would show you not leaving the store.

To collar you BEFORE you leave the store they rely on 'intent to steal' as apposed to straight forward theft. 'Intent to steal' is much more difficult to challenge It's a negative defence & it's your word against theirs