Can I represent my Wife?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick question - if Mrs BL has to go to court, can I represent her?

She has no idea how complicated all this stuff is, and although I've kept her as up to date as I can, she couldn't hack in front of a judge/solicitor.

I've been researching all this business for 6 months now, and feel capable of putting the relevant points across clearly & concisely (well, fairly....)

Cheers

BL

Well 6 years on and most of the defaults have disappeared, thank you CAG for a

ll your help

I'm new to this stuff but I can't personally see any reason why you can't, to my mind there is no difference from you representing your wife or a sol. Go for it.

But I am sure that someone here will be able to put a legal angle on it, for better or worse;)

I know that my wife is ignoring certain problems and ultimately it will be me, with help of caggers, that will have to sort hem out.

Hindsight is wonderful......

But now knowledge and advice are life savers:D

A McKenzie friend is somebody who accompanies a litigant in person to a court hearing for the purpose of assisting him / her in such matters as taking notes, helping to organise the documents, and quietly making suggestions, for example questions to ask a witness. Although usually a non-lawyer, the McKenzie friend should not be thought of as a lay advocate and has no right to address the court.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Quick question - if Mrs BL has to go to court, can I represent her?

She has no idea how complicated all this stuff is, and although I've kept her as up to date as I can, she couldn't hack in front of a judge/solicitor.

I've been researching all this business for 6 months now, and feel capable of putting the relevant points across clearly & concisely (well, fairly....)

Cheers

BL

Ignorance of the law is no excuse but if she has any medical or learning difficulties the court should be made aware and so should the claimant.

We all get nervous and haven't a clue about legal terms until it happens. As an MK friend you'll need permission to attend by the court, so ask first. It shouldn't be a problem but you can't speak for her. Most of the case will be on paper so if you've helped with that then that's most of the job done.

I'm new to this stuff but I can't personally see any reason why you can't, to my mind there is no difference from you representing your wife or a sol. Go for it.

But I am sure that someone here will be able to put a legal angle on it, for better or worse;)

I know that my wife is ignoring certain problems and ultimately it will be me, with help of caggers, that will have to sort hem out.

You'll get through it, but you have make her understand and not do it all for her. A tough lesson and countless arguements along the way but you'll both be better for it. I took over my OH 's finances and sorted them but there comes a time when you need them to realise and give them a little financial guidance to help them along. They won't thank you for it in the short term..but stick it out and they will see that it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks crapstone,

We'll see how things pan out.

Good luck to all

BL

Well 6 years on and most of the defaults have disappeared, thank you CAG for a

ll your help

As well as a McKenzie friend, there is also a Lay Representative, who is allowed to address the court

A Lay Representative can represent anyone in court as long as the claimant is also present. The claim must be issued in the claimants name and all documents must be signed by the claimant.

In theory you don't have to give the court notice, just inform the court usher on arrival at court. But you can always mention this in 'Other Information' in the AQ or send a brief letter to the court once you have a hearing date. Permission is at the discretion of the court, but is usually granted.

A lay representative may, on application and with the court’s permission, conduct the case without the claimant being present. But this is extremely rare and there would have to be exceptional circumstances.

See here for Lay Representative's (Right of Audience)

I just took a letter signed by my OH and told the clerk that I will be representing her, when I went infront of the Judge she wasn't even bothered that my OH was not present.