Equifax Help Please: Default credit suddenly appeared!

mancdude

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

For the past year, I have been keeping regular checks on my Equifax account. I first checked over a year ago and there was no history on there. I have since taken out a mobile phone contract, which has been paid by direct debit for 12 months with no payments missed etc.

As such, I watched as my credit score creeped from Very Poor, to Fair.

I've just looked at my score today and it's gone back to 'Very Poor'. The reason for this is Hillsden Securities has put a defaulted account on Equifax which is 5 years 10 months old.

I do believe this dates back to a loan I took out on behalf of a sibling, but in my name over 5 yrs ago (silly, I know). I'm just wondering what I can do in this situation? I understand there's a 'six year' rule where creditors cannot chase debt if they've had no contact, however I'm concerned this will be a permanent blip on my credit score forever. Will I ever get a 'good' score??

Just to add to this, Equifax are noting this account as 'settled', and the defaulted payment was April 2005 apparently, despite the loan being taken out the year before...

Is this now a case of slowly rebuilding my credit?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd first check things with the other two CRA's Experian and CallCredit to see if they show the same information.

What is the default date recorded on your credit file and when does the account show as being settled?

It's a bit odd that the default should only appear now and I'd certainly get this queried with Equifax as well as Experian and CallCredit if they're showing identical information.