On jsa but not recieved my tax rebate even though 5th april has passed!! :@

Beta89
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive been unemployed since September and been on jsa.

I am entitled to a tax rebate of £1,076, and had been told by the jobcentre staff that its paid automatically with the 1st jsa payment after 5th april.

However when i phoned up the head office in hastings today to check if my tax rebate had been sent out along with the jsa that would have been paid to me this morning,

i was told that their system is showing nothing about me getting a tax rebate!! angry-smiley-030.gif:-(

And they told me to phone the tax office to sort it out with them.

So i phoned my tax office this afternoon but the man just said that 'they the tax office' don't have any records about the amount of money people earn and how much they paid in tax... :!:

And so i will have to wait until both my previous employer and my jobcentre have sent in their ''employee-tax-details'' to the tax office,

and then they will pay the rebate.

When i asked him when this would be?

He said June or July at the earliest, although it could be later.

When i asked how could they the tax office now have the details about my income and tax,

as they had been deducting tax from me based on my income,

and so must know both those amounts unless they were doing it illegally.

He just said ''Thats just how the system works, until the end of year tax records are submitted we have no details''.

When i asked if me sending them part 1 of my p45 (which has all the details of my income that year and my tax paid) would help speed it up and get it sorted?

As all the details thats they needed of my income that tax year and tax paid were on there.

He just said that no, they would need parts 2 & 3 also.

When i then said ''But the jobcentre have parts 2&3 of my p45, and will keep them until i get a job, so how would you the tax office get those 2 parts??''

He just said ''The jobcentre will send in those 2 parts when the time is right''.

By this time i could tell that this man was just a clueless idiot who wasn't going to give me any clear helpful answers to get this sorted,

and so i gaveup trying to get any help out of him.

But does anyone know what parts of what he said are actually correct though please??

As the tax year ended 5th April, and so my tax rebate would be based ONLY on what id earnt before that date.

*Its clear what i earnt that year, as it says on my p45 part 1 (which i can supply instantly) how much money i earnt that tax ear.

*And its clear how much i got in jsa, as i get £50.95 per week, and so its just a case of multiplying the number of weeks ive got it for by that amount,

and adding that to my income as stated on my p45 to see if i was under the tax threshold or not.

So i don't understand what exactly is going to magically happen between now and June/July that will make that information any clearer to the Tax Office??

I did not get my rebate until I signed off JSA.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

They are quick to take but not so quick to give.

Exactly. :mad:

When i owed the government £300 in council tax they were chasing me everyday for it,

giving me constant timelines and timescales about when they needed the money paid by and when what action would be taken if it wasn't...

Yet now when they owe me over £1,100 they seem to know nothing at all about any timescales for paying it,

or the process of what will happen if they don't repay it!

Does anyone know what i can do to get this sorted out faster though please??

As no matter what scripted rubbish some idiot in a call-centre tells me about it going to take a few months more for all the info to be given to them, (even though according to him they dont deal in that info),

I know for a fact that all the info and details required to assess my claim for a rebate i have right here now in my P45 part 1 & jsa payments record from jobcentre!

And so all is needed is for me to be able to get face-to-face with someone,

put these 2 documents infront of them,

and then tell them to either pay me the money im owed, or tell me exactly what more documents they need to be given as proof that im owed that money.

Does anyone know what action i can take now to force this through faster though please??

You mention Council Tax and JSA - I'm unsure what rebate it is you are seeking. If you can tell us what the nature of the rebate is it that you are due, we may be able to advise accordingly as they are different entities which means we may give you the wrong advise if we guess what the rebate is for.

For example is it backdated JSA you are waiting for or have you overpaid council tax and are seeking it to be credited back?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Can I get a tax rebate if I'm on JSA? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

f you gave Jobcentre form P45 from job, and it showed a cumulative code number, Jobcentre makes refund, either when you sign off, or on 5th April (end of tax year) whichever is soonest. If you didn't give Jobcentre form P45, or were on an emergency tax code, normally you could contact tax office, and ask for cumulative code number to be sent. However, we are now so near the end of the tax year, it is too late for that, and you will have to wait until Jobcentre sends you form P60U. If no refund shown on it, send to tax office, together with part 1a from job P45, and ask for repayment to be made from there.

I guess Jobcentre counter staff aren't trained on these details, and any refunds due will be calculated by their computer centre when final payments made for year. Probably all their instructions are is to take your details to pass on. Your local benefits office is the Jobcentre. Tax office won't know anything yet until form P60U issued at end of tax year.

Source(s):

Retired tax office employee, who used to deal with PAYE.

Two threads merged.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

You mention Council Tax and JSA - I'm unsure what rebate it is you are seeking. If you can tell us what the nature of the rebate is it that you are due, we may be able to advise accordingly as they are different entities which means we may give you the wrong advise if we guess what the rebate is for.

For example is it backdated JSA you are waiting for or have you overpaid council tax and are seeking it to be credited back?

Its a rebate of the tax i paid through PAYE as income tax when i was working during the last financial year.

As i earnt just under the £6,500 (including jsa income), but paid £1,076 in income tax,

and so am owed a refund of that.

Ahh thankyou very much.. :)

I was on an emergency tax code (BR1),

and so i guess il have to wait until the jobcentre send me my p60 form,

so i can then send that off with my p45 part 1 to the tax office to claim the rebate.

Does anyone know roughly when the jobcentre send out p60s though??

And 2ndly is there a deadline when they have to send it to you by??

Thankyou very much

The system is set to do a sweep of the customers from the eight weeks after the tax year has ended. They should have all been completed by the start of June. The system does show clearly whether end of tax year action has been done or not but as mentioned this information is not something that most Jobcentre staff now have the skills to impart.

By the way, it is a tax refund, not a rebate, that is paid.