Ford Ka(put) after 3 weeks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, but would appreciate some help regarding a car I bought on 20th March, ie 3 weeks ago.

It is actually a Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25 I've bought from a 'car dealer'. I've just got out of uni and need it for my first proper job. I've spent 700 quid on it, which for me is actually a lot of money. Long story short, the big ends on the engine have gone, meaning a new engine is required. This would cost more than the price of the car.

I've called the dealer, who, after I got it towed there at my own inconvenience, has told me that its my fault the big ends have gone, as the engine didn't have sufficient oil to run on. Apparently his mechanic has confirmed this (he would, wouldn't he), so he is basically saying that I am liable for the fact this car has packed up.

He initially offered me nothing, but after myself and two other members of my family spoke to him, agreed to refund me £450 of the £725 I paid him for the car. Or, he offered me £500 towards the cost of one of his other cars, which he valued at 875, stating I would owe him a further £375!! Needless to say, I refused this offer, and have now towed the car away.

In addition, it appears that despite his telling me explicitly at the time of purchase that the car was taxed until October 2010 and merely needed a replacement tax disc, it has been uninsured this whole time (he was quick to point this out to me when I had a complaint about the car, DVLA website has since confirmed this).

I realise that I've obviously been a bit naive, and should have technically checked the oil and checked he wasn't just outright lying about the tax disc sooner, but I can't help but feel I've been utterly ripped off here. Surely there is some legislation to protect the consumer against this? He has both missold the car to me in terms of tax (full on lied), and repeatedly assured me that it was "a good runner" and "had all the basics".

I've had one other car, and checked the oil every month. Surely I'm within my rights to expect that the oil would not drop to engine-destroying levels within 2 and a half weeks of me buying the car?! No oil light warning indicator has come on whatsoever.

Thoughts please?

Before big ends gave way, did oil warning light come in when ignition switched on and go off when engine started? Was there any blue smoke on acceleration or overrun? When did you first notice anything wrong with engine? Has dealer not offered to fit second hand engine?

Sorry for 20 questions but just trying to get clearer picture.