E VAN Insurance Cancellation Problems Refund

Jooper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I rather stupidly signed up to Evan insurance for my van.I have since checked them out and its not good news.I have just tried to cancel my policy.However they are saying they need proof of my No Claims Discount before they can refund me.

Surely this is against the law?What about my 14 day cooling off period?I only bought the policy on Sunday and foolishly paid in full £372.I have definately been ripped off.They used bank of scotland world services so I could not cancel the payment.I have only found extremely negative reviews and alot of people looking for their refund which never comes!

I was wondering if anybody has had any dealings with them or any good advice.

If I cancel the policy before its even begun surely I should not have to pay a £75 cancellation fee?

Do I need to declare this now as a cancelled policy to my current provider as I have now renewed with them?

Will this effect my future insurance ?

Thanks in advance

Jooper

Policy is not due to start untill May.

You only need to declare cancellations where the Insurers have cancelled because of your non disclosure of material facts or because they do not wish to provide you with any further Insurance. E.g you may have had a number of claims and the Insurers have decided not to continue the policy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If Evan insurance are in anyway linked with Ecar insurance then you will have a bit of a fight on your hands

A close friend of mine took out a policy and within hours she had read a lot of negative reviews and informed them of the cancellation. They too demanded proof of NCD before they would accept the cancellation (which is totally rubbish), so it took a few strongly worded phone calls and the threat of legal action to overcome that one.

Then they insisted on sending out the cover note and insisted she sent it back before they would issue a refund, luckiliy she did sent it back recorded delivery, I say luckily because they denied receiving it back until they were provided with a name/date/time of signing for it.

Eventually she did get a refund, so stick to your guns

Mossy

Yes unfortunately they are the same company.I called my original Insurance company today.They said it will not effect my current policy in any way and if they start the insurace even after I have sent them over ten emails saying I want to cancel then that is illegal.

Surely they should just cancel my policy.

What justification could they have for asking to see my NCD?

I am going to email it over to them.With my renewal quote from my current company to show the van is insured and that if they start the policy it is illegal.

What type of legal action could I take against them?

All my emails have only been acknowledged by there automatic server,no real response.

I just received the paperwork today and still have 14 days.

I just want to get my money back.I know I should not call them without a recorder but they are expensive and I do need to speak to them?

Thanks again in advance

Jooper

The reason they make you jump through hoops is because they want to charge you a cancellation fee and need to drag it out to 14 days do do this.

Return your paperwork to them recorded delivery, add a letter confirming you are cancelling (date it today) and state you are not enclosing proof of NCD because they do not require it and you have sent it to your new insurers who do require it.

Tell them you will not enter into anymore correspondence and if there is no refund from them in 14 days you wil issue proceedings without further notice.

Mark your letter 'Letter Before Action' across the top and send it.

You wil get a full refund it's just a lot of hassle.

Mossy

• 4 months later...
If you don't get it post back and we'll help you.

I hate companies who do this to customers

Mossy

Hi Mossy,

This firm are shocking. I've just had a similar experience and am light of nearly 600quid!!

You state that one should request the refund within 14 days but their terms state 30 days.

What do you suggest?

Best wishes,

Harve.

14 days because that is the legal time allowed for 'cooling off' which is a legally defined term. 30 days is their policy, 14 days is the law.

On the OP's original question for anyone interested, they can actually demand to see proof of NCB for the following reason. When you cancel you are terminating the policy. Up to that point you are insured. Your insurance up to that point is based on the facts you provided. If you lied about a NCB you would be paying a much lower premium than you should. Even if that insurance is just a few days, the difference may quite a lot. So, they will demand proof and I have to say I agree with that part.

However, all you need is a photocopy of the proof. I do not agree with recorded delivery for insurance companies and in the case of cancellation, send all policy documents with a photocopy of your NCB (not the original) and send it by Special delivery. Many times I have sent recorded delivery items and they have arrived but not been signed for. I get a fair amount of post as I run a business myself from home and frequently get a recorded delivery letter in with the bunch of other letters. The reason for that is the ONLY point of observation for recorded delivery is at the delivery point. The person who sorted the letters may not even be the same as the delivery person, so unless they spot the little sticker, they will not get a signature. In the case of insurance companies, they often get a sack full of post, so no real chance of a signature. special is tracked every step of the way.

14 days because that is the legal time allowed for 'cooling off' which is a legally defined term. 30 days is their policy, 14 days is the law.

On the OP's original question for anyone interested, they can actually demand to see proof of NCB for the following reason. When you cancel you are terminating the policy. Up to that point you are insured. Your insurance up to that point is based on the facts you provided. If you lied about a NCB you would be paying a much lower premium than you should. Even if that insurance is just a few days, the difference may quite a lot. So, they will demand proof and I have to say I agree with that part.

However, all you need is a photocopy of the proof. I do not agree with recorded delivery for insurance companies and in the case of cancellation, send all policy documents with a photocopy of your NCB (not the original) and send it by Special delivery. Many times I have sent recorded delivery items and they have arrived but not been signed for. I get a fair amount of post as I run a business myself from home and frequently get a recorded delivery letter in with the bunch of other letters. The reason for that is the ONLY point of observation for recorded delivery is at the delivery point. The person who sorted the letters may not even be the same as the delivery person, so unless they spot the little sticker, they will not get a signature. In the case of insurance companies, they often get a sack full of post, so no real chance of a signature. special is tracked every step of the way.

Thanks for this valuable information.

I'm penning a letter asking for a refund stating i will procced with legal action unless the refund appears. Should i state 14 days before the refund arrives before legal action or 30 days as per their refund policy?

Again, many thanks,

Harve.

• 3 months later...

Hi honeybee - I think peter just wanted to say hello. Have asked him to keep a lower profile...:lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

ecar is a [edit] company who are presently under investigation by the Metropolitan Police. If youhave had problems with them call Consumer Direct tel: 08454 040 506 (ask them to call you back if you do not like 0845 numbers they will call you right back) they will take all details and have the Trading Standards call you within 7-days. Also remember these [edit]s also have ebike evan ehouse elet do the reviews on all those sites too just put "insurance review after each!!!!!

Edited by honeybee13
Problem words removed. Please refrain from abuse.

• 3 months later...

I am sorry I did not see this before They appear to be still at it :-

I believe this Company is operating a [problem] and hiding behind the internet; as attempts to contact them do not resolve the issue forcing you as a last resort to phone them at an extortionate premium rate.

Below is a copy of e mails I have sent them. Everything since the inception has seemed to be geared to getting you to contact them to complain so they can make money on prime rate phone calls or invalidate any insurance they are offering ; I am not even sure what insurance I would get with this Company !

Firstly having used Compare the Market.com you cannot fill in the payment details ; so you are forced to go through to them where they take the payment via a method that cannot be refunded. Then everything is geared to sending incorrect information claiming you have not sent certain paperwork etc..

Copies of e mails that have not been responded to.

Dear Nicola

The additional driver and all their details were given to you at the time of the quote ( It was your mistake that the additional driver was not included on the policy documents you sent me.)– So I should get a corrected policy and there should be no additional charges.

I must admit the suggestion that I wait until the 30th July when this incorrect policy is in force and then try to change it appears to be a bit of a [problem] and leaves me worried about me or any of my friends doing business with you!

As you have now issued me with an incorrect policy I have already at my cost sent details of my no claims Bonus and copies of all my Wife’s and my Driving licences to you– Yet you wish me to wait until the policy is in force to see if I can get it amended at the price quoted.

If I then find you are going to charge me more for the same policy I was quoted and I decide to go with another Company; Not only will I Not be unable to drive my car until that is sorted out but I see you have a £75 cancellation fee.

This is totally unacceptable given that you have made the mistakes on the policy document you have sent me!

Please either send me the Policy that I bought ; or arrange to cancel this policy and refund me the full amount paid.

Best wishes [edit]

Dear Sir

I am very concerned that your Company is operating some sort of [problem] !

I arranged for the above policy which included the full details of my wife as a named driver and was quoted a figure which I accepted.

You then send me totally different cover in that my wife is not included!

Unable to get a phone number Except at premium rate ( Which is no doubt why you sent me the incorrect policy) I contacted you using the e mail address you showed and got a response asking me to use a form and a different e mail address where I would get an answer within 4 hours.

Having done so I then got a reply that said it could take up to 5 Days – This is totally unacceptable when I have been sent the wrong insurance.

I was also told I needed to send copies of various documents to validate the insurance – This I did and at least two other people saw me put them in the envelope. I then get an e mail to say some are missing – Is this another blatant attempt to invalidate my insurance ??

I really think it is intolerable that you send me an incorrect set of insurance documents then refuse to rectify them : telling me I cannot change my policy on line until the day it comes into force but you may then add additional charges and my seven days cancellation grace will have expired so it will cost me a £75 to cancel looks like a real set up.

Is this how you really get your money – Not selling Insurance at all ?????

Please explain and sort out the problem by refunding my money – as I am not prepared to wait 5 days and more for a reply so you can charge me a cancellation fee at that stage.

If I do not get my money returned I will be stating my case to the ombudsman.

It is one thing to be an internet company – quite another to hide behind the internet for days on end without responding to customers- Heaven help anyone who ever had a claim

THERE ARE NO RESPONSES _ DO NOT TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE

Edited by honeybee13
Removing name for reasons of confidentiality.

E Van E car E House etc etc I agree DONT TOUCH WITH A BARGE POLE....That company are just a pain in the bum. You cancel your insurance, they take the money anyway. I did get a refund, then two months later they took the money again saying I didnt cancel? Yes they were cheap but they are cheap for a reason. What would happen if you have to make a claim with them doesn't bear thinking about......

Keep away from them..

Kev.