HB and private landlord

jacks mom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, wondered if someone can help with this question. we have lived in our privatly rented property now for six years. its let through a letting agent. I have become over the last few years severly disabled, so much so that my partner has now had to leave his job to look after me full time. we have just been awarded IS and told today, CA, i already claim SDA, and DLA HRC & HRM.

We have a visit from our letting agent tomorrow, just the usual, to check everything is ok. I want to broach the subject of HB with him, is there anyway he can kick us out because we are going to need to claim HB. Our rent is well within the LHA so thats not a problem, i know there is no mortgage on the house so its not buy to let. Hope someone can advise.

many thanks in advance

Being on HB is not a ground to evict someone however, private landlords can end tenancies without having to give a reaaon.

If you are on a fixed term tenancy (6 month tenancy for example) then the landlord can serve notice and end the tenancy when the tenancy term ends.

If you are on a periodic tenancy (rolling month to month tenancy) then the landlord can serve a Section 21 notice anytime.

However, the notice (for both) must be served correctly, be correctly worded and give the required notice period. If a tenant does not move out of the property the landlord would have to go to Court to get an eviction order but as long as the notice was served correctly it's unlikely that the eviction would not be granted.