deposit protected??? Agent says so???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a ast in April 2009, and paid a £525 deposit.

The landlord decided to sell the property and subsequently we moved in Feb of this year.

I agreed to fit a new bathroom suite in return for slightly lower rent, £525 instead of £550, but as we were given notice in December I did not do this, so it was taken out of my deposit. Fair enough.

I repeatedly asked the agent if the deposit was protected under a scheme, and was told "of course"

Upon checking with a company that claim the fess, I have found this not to be the case.

When we moved in February it was to another property from the same agent, and again, I questioned if the deposit was protected, and given the same answer.

Now I understand I should have received a certificate, which I have not.

I'm happy with the new property, but concerned that this deposit is not protected, as was the case with the previous one.

Any help on a course of action would be appreciated.

PLK

You may wish to have a read of the DirectGov website about Tenancy Deposit Protection it does state at the start of a new tenancy agreement that;

Within 14 days, the landlord or agent is required to give you details about how your deposit is protected including:

• the contact details of the tenancy deposit scheme
  • the contact details of the landlord or agent
  • how to apply for the release of the deposit
  • information explaining the purpose of the deposit
  • what to do if there is a dispute about the deposit

If you don’t get this information, ask your landlord or agent the simple question – ‘how is my deposit protected?’

Have they told you where it is protected?

You can contact each of the schemes yourself (DPS, mydeposits and TDS).

Even if the deposit is protected, you can write to the agent requesting the "Prescribed Information" to be sent to you within, say, 14 days.

thanks for your help. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that I'm still with the same agent, so i think both my deposits have never been protected, so they would owe me around £4000.

Now, If I was to persue this, could they kick me out of the property I'm in now? I know not legally, but I'm sure if I took them on they'd find some excuse.