Techi question on Outlook express please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone tell me why I might be receiving double emails (same one twice at the same time), not on every email, but on quite a lot...is there some little gremlin in this er system of mine? I think it's version 7.

common problem your DBX file is corrupt.

rather than me type it out

go here:

What to Do When You Receive Duplicate Messages in Outlook Express - About Email

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As we have an outlook express thread...

I use a laptop and a desktop to pick up my email, is there any way I can make my saved mail files portable between the two PC's so I can access all my mail from both PC's?

eh

we'd better tell this bloke to start his own thread.....hehe

unless you use IMAP instead of POP3 then sadly no.

the best way is to use something like logmein.

then you access your main pc using the slave one.

thats what i do

there are otherway but TBH: none really do the job.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Why not just use web-based email? - it's much more convenient.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

As we have an outlook express thread...

I use a laptop and a desktop to pick up my email, is there any way I can make my saved mail files portable between the two PC's so I can access all my mail from both PC's?

Tools>accounts>click the one you want>properties>advanced>put a tick in "leave a copy of messages on server"

Do that to both.

EDIT: that will make you have a copy of your email on both computers from now on, not the ones you have recieved in the past.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

but just remember that your webmail box will now not be purged, so everything will mount up and before you know it, your webspace will be full and your mail will stop.

dx

and they

but just remember that your webmail box will now not be purged, so everything will mount up and before you know it, your webspace will be full and your mail will stop.

dx

hey you just said that fool.........look up

i know i did but dont tell anyone.........

ok........

Edited by dx100uk
who me?

and they

Was that a joke DX :p

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

no not in the least.

deal with that regularly

you get a msg that says your mailbox is full

then you have to log-on to webmail interface and do some deleting.

VirginMedia are notorious for it.

30Mb limit i think still

dx

and they

I was thinking of your double post above DX !! :D

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

how did that happen

how did that happen

must be my split personalities - neither of which are worth knowing....:(

dx

and they

Don't you go getting all melancholy on me DX, your firefighting has helped a lot of people on here. :)

&

you sure........

must remember not to ask impertinent questions like 'well did you have the money' on certain recent threads........seems like the natives get restless.........

dx

and they

Wot have I started? :D

Not being a techi at all, could any of you tell me then what the effect on my pc is of having some 10,000 emails in the various file names I have in Outlook Express I have kept from most of my work on here?

For example, I have a Cabot file (In OE) which I use for my Cabot Fan Club shinanigans between the 8 of us...in that file I have 4081 emails. My Inbox still has 3140 and my sent file has 3700 and there must be a thousand or so in all the other files. I realise I need to go through them and delete a whole load, but these are all the ones with a lot of info I'd rather keep, I've already deleted another 10,000 or more which we just basics I could remove just to clear them.

I have an 80 GB C drive which is sitting at used space of 76GB - what the hell has made that go that full I'll never know but on one Windows Properties is says it's used 69.3GB You'd think I was running a big business, but this is just likkle ole me on my pc. :p

I do have a 250GB plug-in drive but my C drive still seems full to the gills.

Any ideas?

Hi Andrew,

You can go though your emails, like you say, but they don't take up that kind of space. Have a good look though any piccies you have on there and bin out any you don't want, that willl be a help. Run some software called CCleaner, that will get rid of any 'unused' disk space that still has a bit of unwanted memory on it, like old IE history files. Coniff has a thread here in the BG on how to speed up your PC, it's here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/technical-computer-console-satnav/179934-speedup-cleanup-you-pc.html

Lex

Edited by Mr lex

&

your gonna start causing issues if you get down to obj less than 5Gb on the OS HDD ...whoosh what dx...... [C:drive in most peoples pc!]

Ccleaner, ATFcleaner or even better glary utils

ATF i like cause it loads nowt and runs from a penstick

glary is your dogs, esp the one hit wonder button approach.

as for your emails

there is no harm in running those from an expernal drive.

how to do that is simple

if someone wants help just scream us techy guys.

dx

and they

blimey dx100 + dx100

where do i get one of these dam experal drives :D

nah not really

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

Average size of an e-mail is 85k , so 10,000 emails is less than 1 gig in size.

Things that take up a lot of space are more like movies and games / applications.

If you have a lot of movie files you could move them to your removable hard drive no problem.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Average size of an e-mail is 85k , so 10,000 emails is less than 1 gig in size.

Things that take up a lot of space are more like movies and games / applications.

If you have a lot of movie files you could move them to your removable hard drive no problem.

The only games I play are against the likes of Cabot.:D..I don't download games or movies, this is all files, some photo's, but not hoards. The main things on my pc are xls worksheets, Word .docs & Jpegs. I don't have much software on here out of the ordinary either

Go to your documents folder, press CTRL + A to select all, right click on any of the highlighted files and select "Properties". That will tell you how much space is used by the documents stored there.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

no not in the least.

deal with that regularly

you get a msg that says your mailbox is full

then you have to log-on to webmail interface and do some deleting.

VirginMedia are notorious for it.

30Mb limit i think still

dx

That's a tiny amount. BT Internet appears to give me unlimited space through Yahoo.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Another thing that can take up a lot of space are the windows restore files. It's worth changing the settings on this now and then to reduce the period of time the restore settings go back to.

Another good way of finding out what is clogging up your hard drive is to download a piece of software called 'Tree Size Professional'. You can get a trial version of this.

Regards.

Fred