Removal of linked address Aktiv Kapital

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am desperately trying to get a 'linked address' removed from my credit file with Experian - the linked address is in relation to Aktiv Kapital.

Experian state that 'linked addresses remain on my credit report for up to eight years. This is to ensure that any relevant information at my previous addresses is made available to lenders'.

The linked address relates to two accounts that have since been satisfied in full (as of 24/07/2008 and 03/10/2008). The date of information with regard to the linked address is 02/05/04.

Are Experian allowed to keep this information on my file for eight years?

The Information Commissioner says -

a linked address should be kept on a person’s credit record for ‘as long as is relevant for credit referencing’. The above debts are both clearly ‘satisfied in full’ status and thus all financial links between myself and Aktiv Kapital have ended. Is this the case??

Experian have since removed a DIFFERENT linked address from my file .. as I told them I had no past or present association with the company in question. This was TRUE.

Please can someone help. Thanks.

Edited by stevejv

Hello. Can someone please answer this question.

Would a linked address to a debt collection agency have any affect on my credit rating/what type of credit I can obtain?

... surely the company searching my file would see this linked address and put 2 and 2 together **i.e. a linked address to a debt collection agency = more risk**

Thanks

Edited by stevejv

Hi. That did help. Thanks... i had to read it a few times to get it straight though.

Steven

(There was an extra post before this one .. but seemingly they deleted it!!)

Edited by stevejv

Hello. I have spoken to Activ Kapital re the linked address. They say they 'dont know when or even if linked addresses are removed from a persons credit file'. Not sure if I actually believe they do not known as as I spoke to the 'Credit File Team' at AK.

AK state that linked addresses show 'a record of where a person has lived' and 'shouldn't have any effect on my credit rating/ability to obtain credit' and 'by showing the link they have not shown any incorrect information as I have lived at both addresses concerned' (that bit is correct).

Surely companies who search my credit file will see the link between my previous adddresses and a debt collection company (Aktiv Kapital) and put two and two together.

My credit file does not show a default anymore as the account has been paid in full and removed from my record.

If the account hadn't defaulted then companies searching my credit file would not be able to see any record of where I have previously lived anyway would they!

As the account has been settled in full why cant AK give permission for Experian to simply remove the linked address?.

Is this worth pursuing to get this removed or am i being over suspicious here?? or possibly expecting too much?

Any help/advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

Edited by stevejv

Hi Steven,

While I'm helping you with your query with us I saw this thread and thought I'd take a look to see if I could help in any way.

I'm able to confirm that linked addresses will remain for eight years as this helps lender to build up a profile of a potential customer for credit reference purposes and as far as I'm aware The Information Commissioner is aware of this.

Should the linked address not contain any adverse information on your credit file then it won't affect your ability to obtain credit. It would only be if the linked address led to an account that had arrears/default that it could have a detrimental affect.

All lenders will use different criterias so it's difficult to say exactly what affect this linked address will have especially if it leads to a dead end and there's no accounts for you at that address.

The probable reason why Aktiv weren't sure how long a linked address would remain as this criteria is down to credit reference agencies rather than the lenders.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee. That does help. Guess I will probably have to wait until the eight years are up before it is removed.

however ... I have read that Experian will delete after six years in certain circumstances.

Thanks again - Steven

You're welcome Steven.

While I'm sure about Experian it's worth writing to them to request that they delete them with an explanation as to why you feel that the infomation is no longer relevant.

Should this fail you can of course refer things to the Information Commissioner.

If they all believe that there is a valid reason for them to remain then they won't delete, however, they may take decision to remove them as a goodwill gesture so it's a worth trying.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee. I will wait until six years has passed (only one more month to wait) then write to Experian asking that they remove this information.

After reading other posts however it seems that Experian can be quite stubborn on this and mainly refuse until eight years has passed.

If they do refuse (after six years) I will complain to the Information Commissioner and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

Please could you keep me posted as to how the Vodafone query is going re my other post. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I have sent a letter to the ICO as Experian have completely refused to removed the linked address..even though there is NO debt/default/late payment recorded on my credit file.

I will keep this thread updated....

(Also ... anyone who reads this I can personally recommend the help of Lee from Vodafone...he was extremely helpful in when it came to sorting out a problem I had with my credit file/Vodafone. It would have taken so much longer to sort .. had I kept having to communicate via letter).

Keep up the good work Lee. Thanks.

Hi again Steven,

Were Experian able to provide you with an explanation as to why they weren't happy to remove it?

While I can see that you've written to the ICO it may be worth getting this information from Experian (if you haven't already got it) just in case it's needed.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lee.

Experian state that"linked addresses remain on my credit report for up to eight years. This is to ensure that any relevant information at my previous addresses is made available to lenders" (this is why they wont remove the linked address), I have this in writing.

I did explain to Experian that the accounts have been satisfied in full since 24/07/2008 and 03/10/2008 .. & I subsequently told them that the information they hold (i.e. the linked address) is no longer required for credit referencing purposes/relevant to lenders (in my opinion).

I am to date awaiting a reply from the ICO on this matter as I have made an official complaint against Experian.

Any opinions/help is much appreciated.

Thanks -Steven

Hi Steven,

It was a try with Experian - lets see if the ICO arrive at a different conclusion.

As I said before if the link doesn't lead to any negative information that it's unlikely to have a detrimental affect on any future credit applications.

Be sure to let us know what the ICO say.

All the best.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

interesting thread. I split from my missus several years ago and had an account with Vodaphone who then added all the stores that I worked out to my file (the missus gave voda the details as i was in between addresses at the time .............. an dthese were not even addresses i lived at, just worked at as a store relief manager.

the vodaphone account is so old it doesnt even show on my credit file.

PPI SUCCESS

2011- Lloyds TSB £3874

2011 - Loans.co.uk (GE Finance) £1504.77

2017 - Moneyshop - £977

2018 - Aquacard £1327

2019 - Citicard - £1071.31

Hi meandbex,

This's a bit of a strange one.

In regard to changing the address on a customer's account this is something we'd only usually do upon request by the registered account holder.

By the sounds of it the account is well over six years old but if you'd like me to take a look at things for you just send the details to me in an email by following the steps in our pinned thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed-internet/213340-vodafone-webteam-customers-problems.html.

Once you've sent it just update the thread with the reference you'll receive when you get our automated reply?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 2 weeks later...