How do credit card disputes work?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently disputed a transaction with my credit card issuer and I was wondering how they proceed?

I purchased an item online but when it was supplied I was charged more than the agreed amount. I disputed it with the card issuer and they have credited the transaction in full, but I was wondering if this is the last I'll hear of it. I assume the card issuer will now contact the retailer and try to recover the money from them, but the retailer has not been reasonable up until this point so I doubt they will cooperate. If the card issuer can't recover the money will they charge me again? Also, I assume the retailer will need to charge me the correct amount at some point if the card issuer do succeed?

Any information on this matter would be appreciated please. For information, the amount disputed is less than £15 and the card is a Tesco credit card.

Yes - you may find that the charge goes back on.

Protection for something going wrong (s75) requires a purchase of £100 or more. You don;t say what your problem is, other than an incorrect amount - so the Mewrchant will be asked to explain the disparity between what you should have been charged and what you were charged. They they can provide proof you were advised of the actual amount to be billed, then they get the all clear and the credit will be reversed off and you will be back to where you started.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. The charge relates to a certain vegetable delivery company, who are apparently infamous on this board! They charged me £1 for a trial but when I cancelled they decided my reasons weren't valid so they charged me a whole load more.

No doubt they'll state that it was all pointed out in their terms and conditions and ignore the fact that I cancelled within their terms and conditions and they decided to charge me anyway.

Is there anything I can do to make sure they don't get the charge reversed, I don't really want to have to deal with them again to get the money back. It's not enough to sue over but I don't want him to get away with it.

Any advice appreciated.

P.S. I didn't post this on the other thread as I didn't want to draw attention to myself while this is going on, as I can see what they're like. But if anyone wants a copy of the email correspondance we've had I'll be happy to pass it on through the admins.

It boils down to credibility - the CC company is meant to be impartial. If the merchant can rove that you somehow did not comply with the arrangement, the CC company may side with them... but they do have to prove their case so it isn't a foregone conclusion.

Where it is small amounts the CC Co may decide it is not worth arguing over and close the matter to keep you happy, but it all depends on how they treat the matter, and whether the merchant is giving them satisfactory answers.