• Tweets

• Hi Baldilocks. Welcome to CAG. I've done some minor formatting edits to your post to make it easier to read for people on mobile. Try to keep to 1 or 2 sentences max before creating a line break in your post. It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015, not the Sale of Goods Act 2015. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 superseded The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and the latter does not apply as I imagine this purchase was made after 1st October 2015. Can you confirm the make, model and age of of vehicle? Some vehicles have their service history stored within the on board computers now or have it available to view online at any point. How did you pay for the vehicle? Finance (what type), Debit/Credit Card etc? I would argue, that should the above points not be correct, you would be right to claim that the goods are not as described under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  
    • Thanks everyone for all your help, but unfortunately my case was dismissed. This is the 2nd time I've had this happen now so I doubt ill be taking on any parking firms in future sadly. The judge said I lost it on the grounds that the sign said I had 28 days to declare who the owner of the vehicle was, and said I should have complied with this.  My costs are Judgment for the claimant £133.33 Issue fee Hearing fee Solicitors costs - total £265 grand total £398.33 Do those costs look about right?
    • In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rae will be calling them to make payment tomorrow so will keep you informed :)

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

Had a call this afternoon, apparently as its not a means tested debt being vulnerable doesnt come into it and to continue to pay £10 a wk, which I did whilst he was on the phone to save my phone bill :lol: still no response to the difference in balance though.

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

Was it the bailiff who said it wasn't means tested??

I have negotiated with my ex-Council CT Dept to pay £12.50/month - after the account had been with the bailiffs for over 18 months. I stuck to my guns, £12.50 was ALL I could realistically afford and sustain and I didn't have to provide them with an Income and Expenditure sheet.

I was originally told that £12.50 was "unacceptable" and that it was less than the monthly payment expected from those on benefits. However, after negotations further and further up the Council's food-chain, my monthly repayment was accepted and payments start next week. The o/s CT bill is over £1,000. MYCT arrears are going to take over 6 yrs to pay back.

I never listened to the bailiffs.

Impecunious! :)

Was it the bailiff who said it wasn't means tested??

I have negotiated with my ex-Council CT Dept to pay £12.50/month - after the account had been with the bailiffs for over 18 months. I stuck to my guns, £12.50 was ALL I could realistically afford and sustain and I didn't have to provide them with an Income and Expenditure sheet.

I was originally told that £12.50 was "unacceptable" and that it was less than the monthly payment expected from those on benefits. However, after negotations further and further up the Council's food-chain, my monthly repayment was accepted and payments start next week. The o/s CT bill is over £1,000. MYCT arrears are going to take over 6 yrs to pay back.

I never listened to the bailiffs.

Hi impecunious,

Yes it was the bailiff I would even go as far as to say it was the very one that visited here as his voice sounded familiar but as I cant read the squiggle and he didnt give a name on the phone I cant be certain. He said as it wasnt means tested the court has ordered for the full balance to be collected but we made an agreement that I have stuck to and so the need to take goods away hasnt arisen and as a reminder I have to continue to pay £10 a wk until back in employment when it will be £100 a month again. he also asked if either of us was actively seeking work :rolleyes:

nooo I thought we would just sit on our butts for the rest of our lives :rolleyes: No mention of the other letter I sent querying the balance though and as I was trying to watch the children in the park I didnt really want to get into a full on discussion at that time so I will see what comes from that in the next few days.

Any advice greatly appreciated as its £40 a month we could really do with at the moment with no income and 3 little people to feed :(

OOps - sorry - misread your posting. Am at work and trying to juggle too many balls.

All I can say is, it's not too late to get good advice on how to progress this.

If you're unemployed, then I believe the bailiffs have to return the account to the Council and then they will deduct small amount from your benefits each week.

Hang on in there - there's bound to be more advice soon.

Impecunious!

PS STOP TALKING TO THE BAILIFFS

Edited by impecunious

I only ever call to make payment by debit card as it would appear they have a very strange calculator! at least I have traceability that way. When I wrote requesting lowered payments when hubby became unemployed I requested confirmation in writing - they called, when i sent the letter rae posted - they called, they dont seem to grasp replying in writing :rolleyes: I did keep a note of the call though and will put a note in with my copy of the letter. Not having had to deal with them before I have no idea how to fight them so to speak so all help and advice most appreciated :D

OOps - sorry - misread your posting. Am at work and trying to juggle too many balls.

All I can say is, it's not too late to get good advice on how to progress this.

If you're unemployed, then I believe the bailiffs have to return the account to the Council and then they will deduct small amount from your benefits each week.

Hang on in there - there's bound to be more advice soon.

Impecunious!

PS STOP TALKING TO THE BAILIFFS

Thanks very much watch you dont drop those balls :lol:

That was the advice already given and what was outlined in the letter they were verbally responding to :rolleyes: Is it maybe worth mentioning it to the council tax dept as I have a query with them anyway regarding this years :rolleyes: They have been given a copy of the same letter anyway

I'm juggling balls whilst trying to fundraise for my charity! Precarious!!

Hope you find a solution to your problem. In my case, I just had to be patient and keep plugging away at it - eventually, I got my own way and now have realistic and sustainable repayments.

The support and knowledge I gleaned from CAG helped no end! At the end of the day, you're a "can't pay for now" not a "won't pay", so if you try to keep things in perspective, it's not so daunting.

they dont seem to grasp replying in writing

Common practice with all Lenders, DCA's, Bailiffs etc as they do not want to leave a paper trail.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Had a call this afternoon, apparently as its not a means tested debt being vulnerable doesnt come into it and to continue to pay £10 a wk, which I did whilst he was on the phone to save my phone bill :lol: still no response to the difference in balance though.

What a load of absolute rubbish! I assume that, in B & S Bailiffs, the B stands for Bull ...

Ok, we'll take that as their response. I'll be back in a mo with a template for the council which you may or may not wish to use. Let's see what the council says to a request to take it back for an attachment to benefits...

Best wishes

Rae.

Hi,

In all laziness, I haven't trawled back through the thread before writing the following letter as is my usual practice. I have drawn assumptions on your benefits statement from logical probabaility! Do feel free to use, amend, ignore as you wish.

Please note that I haven't mentioned the bailiffs bizarre response to your letter to them. You have asked the bailiffs to send this back due to your circumstances. You are now asking the head of Revenues to do likewise and use an attachment to benefits [usually about £3.50 per week]. They will either say yes. Or no. If the latter, then is the time for the Formal Complaint including both the bailiffs reaction and the Revenues department stance. Just my view...

[Your name and address]

[Name, if known]

Head of Revenues

[Council name and address]

Sir,

Ref: [Council Tax reference].

As you may be aware, my husband and I have been unemployed since [date] and [date] respectively. Your records will show that we currently receive Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Job Seekers Allowance.

Since [date] I have been paying your collection agents – B & S Bailiffs – a set weekly sum against currently outstanding Council Tax arrears. Unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly difficult due to our financial circumstances. I am sure you will appreciate the increased stress and tension that unemployment can cause to household finances.

Rather than fall into further difficulties with your collecting agent, I request that this debt is taken back to the Council for the administration of an Attachment To Benefits order. This will allow us to repay this debt with dignity in an affordable and sustainable manner without the fear of default.

It is appreciated that you have the ability to do this on two counts. Firstly, B & S Bailiffs are operating as your agents therefore the Council remains in overall charge and responsibility. Secondly, the National Standards for Enforcement Agents categorise the unemployed as vulnerable. I am sure you will understand that this is in order to minimise the stress that such a situation causes.

Thank-you for considering this request and I look forward to your response.

Yours Sincerely

Email to the Revenues Department [optional], hard copy to Head of Revenues by signed for.

Continue to pay as usual if possible in the meanwhile. You may need to allow up to 14 days for a response.

Best wishes

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK

Thank you once again rae I will print this tonight and send in the morning.

The bailiff was obviously clutching at straws anyway as he was quite hesitant in what he was saying and umming and arring and completely thrown when I said can you take this weeks payment now to save a call when I get home :lol:

I cant repeat on here without a visit from cagbot what hubby said the inside of their office is like :eek: you would think outward appearance would show their professionalism......or not

LOL may be abit obvious but if you want a mental pic.....

6ft x 6ft to stand in everything boarded off and perspex screens

by chance have you asked for this bailiffs name, I would like to see if he is certificated with the company that he is working for, especially if they are running out of a shed lol, by your descriptions.. They also seem to be a bit behind the times with their fee system too.

Will dig around to see if I can find something on the wonder web;)

Hi Sean no I havent I do recall him telling me his name on the first vissit but dont remember it.

Its actually a shop on the main road but everything is so boxed off its ridiculous! Anyone would think it was for their protection because they upset people :lol:

We signed an agreement with bailiff after council wouldnt help with reduced payments whilst hubby wasnt working......Signed 30/09/09

can i ask if the only agreement you signed is the notice of distress and inventory

Hi Sean no I havent I do recall him telling me his name on the first vissit but dont remember it.

Its actually a shop on the main road but everything is so boxed off its ridiculous! Anyone would think it was for their protection because they upset people :lol:

they are a very small company, in fact took some time trying to find them as they dont seem to be listed very well, but I found them eventually ;) I know what the 'S' stands for after the 'B' now and it isnt s**t as in bull :D

Have a look here and see if you recognise any names

Certificated Bailiff

I am presuming that its Mr Stone who is the director as the company is registered in that name.

Edited by seanamarts

We signed an agreement with bailiff after council wouldnt help with reduced payments whilst hubby wasnt working......Signed 30/09/09

can i ask if the only agreement you signed is the notice of distress and inventory

Yes I have only signed the sheet shown

they are a very small company, in fact took some time trying to find them as they dont seem to be listed very well, but I found them eventually ;) I know what the 'S' stands for after the 'B' now and it isnt s**t as in bull :D

Have a look here and see if you recognise any names

Certificated Bailiff

I am presuming that its Mr Stone who is the director as the company is registered in that name.

Yes they are small but seem to work for the local authorities in the surrounding areas as there are 3, i did wonder if the BS was as described Bull s**t :lol:

Ive had a look and cant specifically remember :(

Yes they are small but seem to work for the local authorities in the surrounding areas as there are 3, i did wonder if the BS was as described Bull s**t :lol:

Ive had a look and cant specifically remember :(

Paperwork should have his name on it

only an unreadable squiggle :(