Paypal Scam, I need help!

SQ1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think I am really going to push the court action.

If I request that the incident be heard in court, surely they cant keep threatening me?

I agree. After this happened I had a good look at the T&C. They are VERY ropey!

They shouldn't show funds received, funds cleared, funds successfully transferred to your bank account so easily.

When the guy arrived and the money was in my bank account, I couldn't turn around and say, oh yeah. Im not giving you the xbox.

Edited by SQ1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now that I am convinced it is not an April fools joke, lets see what we can do to help....

Timescale? You sold on what date? They paid on what date? You transfered the payment out of paypal towards your bank on what date? They collected the goods on what date?

How soon after collecting the goods was the payment 'cancelled'? On what grounds did the payment get stopped? Did the buyer claim non receipt of the goods? Did paypal discover a stolen card used for payment?

Sorry for so many quaetsions. The more info the better.

Indeed, we need all the above info to help you.

I had something similar happen.

Paypal will freeze your account soon, but will wait 3 months before calling in a DCA to harrass you. This gives you enough time to get this ****** into court but there is no time to lose.

I take it you have his address- send him a 14 day letter before action for the price of the xbox. We will do one for you if you want.

After 14 days, if he doesnt remimburse you, start a small claim for the xbox price plus the court fee- again we will sort out the wording.

Its quite straight forward.

DO NOT waste your time gnashing your teeth at Paypoo.

Its the ****** buyer who has defrauded you.

It was cancelled about 30mins after collection. They paid on the date of collection, about 30mins before. I was returning home from work. Paypal showed payment completed. I withdrew the money to my account whilst stuck in traffic on the same day payment was recieved, paypal showed completed. The individual arrived, money was clear goods taken.

Paypal emailed to say the buyer has asked his/her bank to reverse payment.

ID provided by individual collecting the same as that of the paypal account holder.

Ok, a small claim would appear to be straight forward as you have his address to serve documents.

Your POC could draw the judge's attention to the clear and deliberate fraud perpetrated by the buyer and ask that the court pass this info to the appropriate authorities, should the court feel it appropriate... ;-)

Edited by noomill060

Normally I am very thorough with things. Most of this was carried out over my mobile phone.

It just so happens, on the day this happened, I busted a guy for thousands of pounds worth of stolen property. It was a delight returning them to the rightful owners.

Once I get home, and your with your family, your mindset changes. Work is at work, home is at home. I think this is what is grinding me!

The April fool thing is funny. Some of the property I recovered from the previous post was from a well know Celebrity. I had to contact them regarding returning some items to them. They thought it was an April fool too! It was a nightmare trying to convince them I actually had recovered their stolen property!

I didn't even notice it was April the 1st!

Ok, that all makes it easier to work through.

Firstly, I do not believe this is theft but deception. What reason did the buyer give paypal for reversing the payment? Have you spoken with paypal on the phone at all?

I would ring them and explain that you are a serving police officer and will be taking up criminal charges against this individual for deception. See what they say and can do about this.

Do you have any proof that he collected the item? Witnesses, signed receipt etc?

Noom, the most infuriating thing is, I had a criminal on my own doorstep. My gloves where off, I handed over my property to him in good faith and let him walk away believing that the transaction was genuine.

The good thing is, I never forget a face. I am trying to get address details from paypal and ebay.. Funny enough, its impossible. Eaby replied saying, we appreciate its easier to talk on the phone but we do not practice this facility!!:-o

Through all my transaction with paypal over the past couple of years, I must have payed at least £400 in fees!

Clamping, yes. He signed a piece of paper. stating the goods had been collected. (currently off for fingerprints)

Paypal keep deferring my call asking for it in writing. I emailed, they have not responded.

I have a team looking into it locally. I need to be very careful not to compromise the investigation. As the Victim, my stance has to remain somewhat distant. :(

This goes very much against my character!

Ill give it a go shortly.. Must clean the floor, just trying to sell our house as well as everything else!

Thanks for that.. Is it just under help?

2 problems with that.

1. You will not get the house number, just the postcode.

2. It is probably a false address.

You need to talk with the fraud team at Ebay. Try 0208 8080 2105 and ask to be put through to fraud. The fact you can legally tell them you are Sergeant XXXX of Metropitan Police should assist you to get through quicker.

They are VERY helpful when pushed.

I understand your predicamant with victim and serving officer. I will say no more.

I still wonder what was the reason given to Paypal for reverisng the payment?

Your buyer asked his or her bank to reverse the payment for the following

transaction:

Buyer's name: John Palmer

Buyer's email: [email protected]

Transaction ID: 7S545373PU0526502

Transaction date: 31 Mar 2010

Transaction amount: 199.00 GBP

Your transaction ID: 4XJ83859ME3852505

Case number: PP-929-507-181

We need additional information from you within the next 7 days. Please log

in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre to see the

details of this case. There, you can enter any information regarding this

case that will help us fight the reversal on your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

A review of recent transactions indicates that you might have received a

payment that the PayPal account holder did not authorise.

To protect you from problematic transactions, we sometimes request

additional information about PayPal payments.

We need more information about this transaction. Please log in to your

PayPal account, click the "Resolution Centre" tab, and provide more

information by 07/04/2010.

If you need to provide information by fax, click and print a cover sheet:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_complaint_resolve_tracking_fax&cid=PP-929-459-159

Please fax proof of postage or proof of refund to 08707 303 196.

We recommend that you do not post the item until our investigation is

complete. If you've already posted the item, please log in and let us know

where you posted it.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until we complete our

investigation.

Paypal wont be able to fight this as you have no proof of delivery. They will reverse the payment and you will have to reimburse Paypal, (otherwise you wont be down any money and thus have no cause of action for your small claim)

Your action now should be- start small claim to force him to reimburse you, and of course, make his life as unpleasant as you can...

A charge under the Fraud Act - obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception- would be nice.

My concern is how paypal make this so easy! (for suspects)

As they walk hand in hand with ebay, they are an open marking for [problematic]/criminals.

I am sure I am one of millions!!.