Paypal Scam, I need help!

SQ1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am brand new to this forum.

I was the victim of a [problem] yesterday and paypal took about 2hrs to carry out an investigation that should take at least 10-20hrs! Guess what? Not in my favour.

Here are the details, I sent this to paypal.

Ebay Sale.

Squantoreal (me) Sold Item to Mattys18. Mattys18 paid via paypal then arranged a collection in person as per listing. Paypal Transaction 4x83859ME93852505.

Buyer turned up to collect, and provided ID the same as that off the paypal account holder. Goods where given over and signed for. When individual left property, transaction reversed and property stolen.

Matter reported to Hertfordshire Police, awaiting their response.

I have been the victim of a [problem]/fraud.

within the current dispute, I cannot resolve the issue on paypal without refunding the money. I do not intend to pay the money back into my paypal account.

I am VERY concerned about an obvious flaw within paypals system.

Should you not be able to recover the costs from the buyer, I do not intend to pay them back. The buyer now has my nice shinny xbox 360 with 10 games and is trying to get his money back!

I also must inform you that I am a Sergeant in the Metropolitan Police London. The reason that I am obliged to tell you this is if this issue develops into a civil dispute, I am legally obliged to inform you of this.

End of email

I managed to withdraw the money to my account prior to ebay freezing or reversing the funds from my account. The paypal account is not £-192.

I simply will not pay this back to them. This matter must, if they want the money, go to court and be heard by a judge.

Any advice on this is welcome! Hope its not to confusing. :eek:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response! I feel physically sick over this! I trusted that if the funds had been approved, put into my paypal, transferee to my account, paypal where safe! The debit is currently with them at the moment

Its a shame. I have been using them for years and yes, I have payed hundreds in fees via ebay. This is the first time anything like this has happened on my ebay/paypal account. I would much rather do cash on collection deals but ebay now demand that you offer paypal.

On this occasion, the payment had cleared into my paypal. I then transferred the payment to my bank account which also cleared. How could I possibly withhold the goods from the buyer? I couldn't. I gave him them when he produced ID, He signed a document to say he had collected, the deal was closed.

This has put me right off ebay and paypal. I will be closing both accounts with immediate effect. The paypal one will no doubt remain open as the fraudulant transaction of £-192 is still showing. :mad:

As you are a police officer you are in a better position than most to deal with this matter.

When members of the public experience the same [problem] and report it to the polce they are invariably told by the desk officer that it is a civil matter and that the police wont be looking in to it.

We both know that an offence under the Fraud Act has been committed by the buyer- so go get 'em.

You will have their name and address, so just send someone in uniform round to have a word and give them the good news.

Please let us know what happens. :-)

For everyone else out there- NEVER EVER accept payment by Paypal when the goods are to be collected in person. You will not be able to prove delivery.

Cash always on collection.

Edited by noomill060

Why do you think that Paypal moved from the UK to Luxembourg ?

It doesnt meet the UKs banking guidelines.

anyway

you wont get anything back from Paypal , you should start a small claims case against Mattys18 , I presume you have his details ?

Paypal WILL take you to court for the refund and they will win because they have done nothing wrong , sorry you have been stiched and I hope you get more Police help than when it happened to me.

Case Statistics 13 Wins - 0 Losses

Cases In Progress 2

Yeah I know and I can relate to those who have been. My enquiries have started locally and the individual should be relatively easy to trace. I was hoping that those who have had experience with paypal may well be able to advise me from a civil point of view. Where do I stand with the fact that my paypal account is currently -£192 as a result of the fraudulent transaction?

I was disgusted that they managed to carry out a fraud 'investigation' over 4 emails!

In hindsight the fact that you live in (H*********) and the buyer lives in (Norfolk) might of caused some alarm bells as it was collection ??

Cases In Progress 2

It did once I sat down and looked at what I had and nor realise how easy people can walk into these things.

My issue is, Paypal where happy to credit my account instantly and let me transfer the money to my bank account.

The individual arrived at my house as I was returning home from work. According to my email, funds where cleared. I couldn't really turn him away based on the fact that I in theory had his money.

This is a serious flaw in ebay and Paypal. They should not enforce paypal as a 'must have' option for auction/buy it nows...

I did a search on the internet and was horrified at how rife this crime is!!

I did a search on the internet and was horrified at how rife this crime is!!

Cant resist this - well if the police acutally went after criminals instead of law abiding citizens then it may not be so rife.:)

and no I have not been done over by the police ever but, one does read of cases where the heavy hand of the law decends over minor petty things, like eating an apple at traffic lights etc

Ah. Paypal. My favourite subject.

Here is the problem. You are only covered by paypal if you send the item to the buyer and have proof of delivery. It used to be to the buyers confirmed address, now it can be any address of the buyers choosing.

On this occasion that didn't happen. However, this all seems to have happened in a very short space of time. What was the reason for the reversal? Did the buyer do the reversal or did Paypal just do it themselves?

Cant resist this - well if the police acutally went after criminals instead of law abiding citizens then it may not be so rife.:)

and no I have not been done over by the police ever but, one does read of cases where the heavy hand of the law decends over minor petty things, like eating an apple at traffic lights etc

I don't think that helps at all.

surely you now where this chap lives if it was me i would make the journey and have a word and if necessary take back my propertyand let them call the police if they dare

It is likley that the given address and the address of the presented id are both false.

especially as the seller and the buyer live some distance apart.

Cases In Progress 2

Yeah, It is highly likely that it was either a false ID and false address. The buyer reversed the charge.

There are issues about me getting him. Ok, I did a little search for him on the our systems but I cant 'get' him as this would compromise any prosecution.

Just look at Ali Dezi the mug!!

Anyway, I emailed paypal said there system is highly flawed and I would like evidence that they have carried out a thorough investigation. 4 emails isn't really enough!

I am, at the first request for the money back, going to ask them to take me to court over this. This should in effect avoid silly letters and get us strait to the point.

Paypal WILL take you to court for the refund and they will win because they have done nothing wrong , sorry you have been stiched and I hope you get more Police help than when it happened to me.

Not true, there is no evidence that in cases like these Paypal have ever taken anyone to court, they are afraid that any court action would expose their dodgy T & C's.

Im in sqme situation, it happened 2 years ago and all I get is some DCA letters now n again, certainly no court action.

Andy