BREAKING NEWS – DVLA Loses In Court

lonerider
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update:

The DVLA has sent me a letter advising that it will be changing, and updating its forms and implementing new procedures. Wonder why that is.

I am hoping to have some good news about the DVLA for you some time in 2011, maybe sooner.

Until then, have a great Christmas & New Year.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, new guy here but ive been luring for a few weeks trying to read up on all these goings on with the DVLA.

Ive now fallen foul of their service, I sent in my sorn declaration for my motorbike as I usually do in the winter and then a few weeks ago ive received the penalty letter insiting they didnt receive the form and now I must pay £80, but if im quick I can have it for £40.

Ive sent the letter back insisting my innocence but due to not having proof of sending they tell me im still in the wrong.

Most cases ive read about are a few years old, is it still worth fighting or is it better to just pay nowadays?

Im starting to think they have decided to target me!

Ive just received a late licensing penalty for a car I scrapped a year ago. This is because I failed to tax it in january of this year even though the last time it was taxed was 2009! This is the first Ive heard of this car since I sent in the log book....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI all,

I'm currently at the £80 fine still stands stage, JIMBO5444 offered details of his & loneriders defense after they successfully went to court, has anyone any updates please?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in court this morning!

The DVLA wanted to fine me for them not receiving the v5 i sent back a year ago after selling my car,

i ignored the fine and went to court, before you go into the actual courtroom you have a quick interview

with an assistant in a small booth, they ask you if you understand why you are there and if you posted the v5 ect

I told them that i had sent the v5 back to the dvla like i have done in my previous 30yr driving history

the assistant told me that on the back of the v5 you are told to get in touch with them if you don't receive a receipt

i replied that it was not a legal requirement for me to follow it up! The case was then adjourned for a month

I'll let you know how things are going as soon as i hear back from them.

@postggj

theregister.co.uk/2010/05/03/dvla_court/ (sorry not made enough posts to give you the full link)

Never having been to court in my life this cheered me up and gave me hope :wink:

hi puzz and welcome

thanks for your post on the antics of dvla at the court

if the same happens with me then ill request the trial go ahead as ime more than confidant on winning

no adjournment for me

if dvla are not ready then its there problem , not mine

ill hit them with £60.00 costs also

• 3 months later...

I saw the DVLA again on last nights "Watchdog" and am bloody angry at the contempt the DVLA has for the 'little' guy. They argue that the cases that have won are in the County Court so they can ignore the judgement! Again anyone who wants to see a copy of what I sent to court as my defense I am happy to provide. I know they can be beaten.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I saw the DVLA again on last nights "Watchdog" and am bloody angry at the contempt the DVLA has for the 'little' guy. They argue that the cases that have won are in the County Court so they can ignore the judgement! Again anyone who wants to see a copy of what I sent to court as my defense I am happy to provide. I know they can be beaten.

Jimbo, I've tried to PM you, but unfortunately I don't have 15 posts yet. I'm a motorcyclist (passed three years ago) and took my bike off road for the first time last year. Sorn notification went in September 2011, first extortion letter came in a couple of weeks ago from DVLA for £80. I will not back down to these sods as it's so fundamentally wrong and I can't stand faceless bullies. I really would be interested in yours and Lonerider's defence if you could possibly PM me? Cheers

JJ

I sent Jimbo a PM asking him to look in here.

Nice one, thanks for that Tony

In readyness, how did you declare SORN to them - mail, on-line, any other means?

SORN was declared via Royal Mail standard, no acknowledgement received. My first letter in response to their extortion attempt went like this..

Dear DVLA,

2011 is the first year that I decided to take my motorcycle (‘Reg No’) off the road for the winter period as, due to the very harsh weather over the last couple of winters, it really hasn't been worth keeping the bike on the road. I have a Toyota Hilux four wheel drive, and a BMW saloon car currently taxed under my name which my wife and I use through out the winter.

I completed the SORN notification form during the second last week of September 2011 and posted it towards the end of that same week (I can't be certain of the exact date but my wife was with me when it was posted and we believe that this was on the Thursday 22nd Sept).

As this is the first time I've ever 'SORN'd any of my vehicles, I'm afraid that I overlooked the fact that the confirmation letter had to be retained and I subsequently cannot find this within the records for my motorcycle. Can you possibly check and update your records as necessary to reflect the fact that the motorcycle is not currently being used on the road, and if possible resend the confirmation letter for my records? I will be re-taxing the motorcycle when the better weather comes in (hopefully around March 2012).

Your assistance in this matter is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,