SOGA and reasonable time lengths

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

3 weeks ago I purchased a used car (7000 miles on clock, like new) from a Ford dealership. A day of driving I noticed a rattle from the steering wheel and the screen washers didn't work (which would make the car illegal to drive). A day later engine management lights came on.

Now it took 1 1/2 weeks for them to get the car in, the repaired the rattle and the washers but needed a part to repair the engine management lights which they had to order. I had to wait another 1 1/2 weeks before they could book the car in again to replace the part (this was Monday).

I have driven the car 1 day and again the engine management lights have come on, so obviously they didn't really know what the problem was initially.

Now I spoke to the sales manager to say I would like a refund because of the faults (before Monday's repair was carried out) and he was somewhat arrogant saying just because the car has a fault doesn't mean you are entitled to a refund. Now there are two sections within the SOGA that mentions reasonable time for repair and reasonable time for reporting a fault to seek refund. I reported the fault 2 days after purchase.

My fear is that they will take another 1 1/2 to get the car in for diagnosis again, then another 1 1/2 weeks to order parts and get it in again and they may still not get it right since they didn't the first time.

So my questions are to your bright legal brains out there how long is a reasonable time for

1. reporting the fault for a full refund

2. dealer to repair the car

Thanks

Hi,

3 weeks ago I purchased a used car (7000 miles on clock, like new) from a Ford dealership. A day of driving I noticed a rattle from the steering wheel and the screen washers didn't work (which would make the car illegal to drive). A day later engine management lights came on.

Now it took 1 1/2 weeks for them to get the car in, the repaired the rattle and the washers but needed a part to repair the engine management lights which they had to order. I had to wait another 1 1/2 weeks before they could book the car in again to replace the part (this was Monday).

I have driven the car 1 day and again the engine management lights have come on, so obviously they didn't really know what the problem was initially.

Now I spoke to the sales manager to say I would like a refund because of the faults (before Monday's repair was carried out) and he was somewhat arrogant saying just because the car has a fault doesn't mean you are entitled to a refund. Now there are two sections within the SOGA that mentions reasonable time for repair and reasonable time for reporting a fault to seek refund. I reported the fault 2 days after purchase.

My fear is that they will take another 1 1/2 to get the car in for diagnosis again, then another 1 1/2 weeks to order parts and get it in again and they may still not get it right since they didn't the first time.

So my questions are to your bright legal brains out there how long is a reasonable time for

1. reporting the fault for a full refund

2. dealer to repair the car

Thanks

You need to give the seller a reasonable period in which to fix the car (exactly what the period is would be hard to determine as I don't think it has been tested).

My advice is put it in writing what has happened, ensure that you keep copies of correspondence. If the car comes back again faulty I would imagine that is more than a reasonable opportunity however I am not a lawyer, but it is my interpretation! :)

Yes I think I will definitely send something in writing. What if it's going to take another 3 weeks before the repair, can I assume this is not a reasonable time and reject the car?

I am worried that I will loose my rejection window and then stuck in a battle with the dealer with them not knowing what the problem is.

Write by the fastest recorded method telling them they have one last chance to repair the car. Also say that giving them a chance at a repair does not remove you right to reject at a later date.

If you talk in person or on the phone (not advised) you should always follow it up with a letter.

Write by the fastest recorded method telling them they have one last chance to repair the car. Also say that giving them a chance at a repair does not remove you right to reject at a later date.

If you talk in person or on the phone (not advised) you should always follow it up with a letter.

Thanks for you suggestions guys. Should I also say how long I expect to have it repaired by since I think waiting 3 weeks is unacceptable (1 1/2 for diagnosis then another 1 1/2 weeks for actual repair)

Thanks again.