Urgent Help Please- bought used car, stoped by police+bailifs ,paid £387

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Here I am again, with a problem which i dont think most of the people are familiar here :D.

I bought a used car on 21st of March, fill up V5 form and the seller send it and gave me green part of v5 form.

today 29th of March Police stoped me and bailifs were also with them, I open the windows just to ask whats wrong, the bailif guy took my key off from car and after 5 mints return and said there was a panding ticket on this car, you have to pay 387.95 or we gona take this car away.

I WAS SHOCKED

I mean i have fully comp insurance,tax and just paid for car a heavy sum of money. any way came out of car talk with police, and you know what.

swear to God i lost my trust in police long ago, but what i had a litttttttttle bit, i lost it today forever, police dont have guts to catch the real criminals but driver are so easy targit to earn money,they are just jokers, make fun of you, laugh at you, and when you reply they will say Oh! we can hold you for this and that.

any way talking with them was just waste of time, I pay them money and bring car with me, the last advice the bailif guy gave me was that i can claim my money back when i get my v5 forms from DVLA on my name, which may take few weeks if i am not wrong.

So Admin and big guys here, please need help to write good and poweful letter to the council which issue the PCN to give my money back.

for a student like me it hell of money £400, a poor person like me work 2 weeks to get it:(

2 poinst

1) The reciept if on the old owner name but third party is my name who pay the money.

2) another big form which include the detail of PCN and seller info.

Another request.

if a person sell a car without telling that there is any parking fine on that car, what action we can take against them? fruad? lie?

hope somebody will help me this time also.:confused:

Edited by innocent_man

When you bought the car, did you obtain a receipt, dated and signed by the seller?

If not, how are you going to prove that the car belonged to you when the police took it?

Yes i do get a receipt from seller and i had it with me in car along with my car insurance and the second small part of V5 form which the old owner gave me by the time of sale.

you know what police said ( this receipt has no value at all to us, it might help in court bcoz any body can make this at home ) can you blv it? infact they were just white blooded and those people has no feelings what so ever.

ANY HELP?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm afraid you might just have to go through the claim back route.

What happened is completely wrong, and certainly I would not have accepted that as I am sure most people wouldnt.

However, one part of your story seems a bit strange and needs clarification. You say you were stopped by the police who had bailiffs with them???? I have never heard of bailiffs and police actively seeking cars together, is this all of the story?

However, one part of your story seems a bit strange and needs clarification. You say you were stopped by the police who had bailiffs with them???? I have never heard of bailiffs and police actively seeking cars together, is this all of the story?

I agree. I've never heard of the police working with bailffs to enforce parking tickets. Has it not been decriminalised? They do assist the DVLA though on car tax road side checks though.

Bailiffs normally attend the RK's address in any case to recover outstanding parking ticket charges. Somthing not right here.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

I agree. I've never heard of the police working with bailffs to enforce parking tickets. Has it not been decriminalised? They do assist the DVLA though on car tax road side checks though.

Bailiffs normally attend the RK's address in any case to recover outstanding parking ticket charges. Somthing not right here.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

I wrote above that i was shocked after the guy told me, i was stoped bcoz of parking ticket.

I was thinking may be police stop me bcoz they coulnt find the insurance in Data base, bcoz i just insured the car before 7 days.

I ask the question to the police lady, ( How can you just hand me over to the baillifs like this ) she said we are working with all other companies such as ( Vosa, DVLA, Baillifs/Councils etc) to reduce these kind of crimes.

my brother and sister who live in London may know the hot spot.

I was stoped at ( Hanger Lane right front of Hotel Ramada Jarvis ) if you come from hanger lane roundabout you see them in yellow jackets.

So this is not strange at all, just be careful.

still waiting for right sort of help or sample letter to right to the council please to get my money back.

I will scan the documents which Baillifs gave me and upload when i reach home.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

personally I would have said arrest me than pay anything out

have no criminal record in last 28 years of my life, once stoped by police in whole life before this case. so what can you expect from a person like me? to ask police to arrest me?

trust me police were so rude like i am serial killer or rapist. when i was paying to the bailifs one PC came to me and asked me how much cash you have with you,i said this is non of your business, he said i can arrest you if you dont give me answer, can you accept this kind of behavior?

please now dont say you dont blv my story. this they are. I dont expect any thing good from police any more.

I have never heard of bailiffs and police actively seeking cars together, is this all of the story?

It is not unusual for these type of multi agency operations basically the car is legally stopped on the grounds of a 'hit' on the ANPR and whilst you are stopped the benefits agency, uk border agency, VOSA, public carriage office, local authority or whoever else cares to turn up have a snoop into your 'legality'.

It is not unusual for these type of multi agency operations basically the car is legally stopped on the grounds of a 'hit' on the ANPR and whilst you are stopped the benefits agency, uk border agency, VOSA, public carriage office, local authority or whoever else cares to turn up have a snoop into your 'legality'.

A debt owed to a person is not a valid 'hit' for the police to be concerend with.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

any help green and mean?

any help green and mean?

What is done is done the money is paid so there is no point moaning about how it happened what you now need to do it get the money back. I suggest posting in the baliff section as this has gone beyond the parking ticket stage and you will probably need to fill in a n244 form.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244_e.pdf

Did I say it was, try reading my post properly.

My apologies.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

What is done is done the money is paid so there is no point moaning about how it happened what you now need to do it get the money back. I suggest posting in the baliff section as this has gone beyond the parking ticket stage and you will probably need to fill in a n244 form.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244_e.pdf

thank you very much for the form.

If I apply to hearing it may cost me? or in my case i dont have to pay the court?

how long you think it might take to get my money back?

second the bailifs man who took the money said that send a letter to Parking department of the council and if you provide them the proofs you have, they may send you money back.

so what is the best solution you think?

Edited by innocent_man

thank you very much for the form.

If I apply to hearing it may cost me money? or in my case i dont have to pay the court?

how long you think it might take to get my money back?

second the bailifs man who took the money said that send a letter to Parking department of the council and if you provide them the proofs you have, they may send you money back.

so what is the best solution you think?

In the first instance contact the Council concerned and see what stance they take, they may be happy to take the matter back to the 'notice to owner' stage if you provide proof or you may be forced to take formal action. Was the Council concerned the local Council to the 'stop' or was it somewhere else?

In the first instance contact the Council concerned and see what stance they take, they may be happy to take the matter back to the 'notice to owner' stage if you provide proof or you may be forced to take formal action. Was the Council concerned the local Council to the 'stop' or was it somewhere else?

the bailifs guy wrote the name of council some thing newhampton on documents. i can confirm when i reach home.

so best idea is to contact council first. thanx alot you are star

the bailifs guy wrote the name of council some thing newhampton on documents. i can confirm when i reach home.

so best idea is to contact council first. thanx alot you are star

Northampton is the Court that deals with ALL Council PCNs that is who issued the warrant. I am curious as to the Council as there is not a national list of outstanding parking fines and the baliff should really only have a list of fines outstanding for the Councils they are contracted to enforce.

Northampton is the Court that deals with ALL Council PCNs that is who issued the warrant. I am curious as to the Council as there is not a national list of outstanding parking fines and the baliff should really only have a list of fines outstanding for the Councils they are contracted to enforce.

so the only person who can tell me about the PCN council is previous owner i think.

just speak to DVLA and she said they havn't got the updated record yet which will take atleast 2 to 3 weeks. but date will be the same 21/03/2010 which was writen on the v5 form.

so shall i wait for the registration form?

there could be some scope in the following paragraphs.

he was Innocent, he didn't owe the money,but the police helped the bailiff in demanding money with menace.

if he dint pay he would be deprived of his car,embarrassed in public by the actions of the bailiff taking his car and leaving him stranded.

Theft Act 1978

"21. Blackmail". —

(1) A person is guilty of blackmail if, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, he makes any unwarranted demand with menaces; and for this purpose a demand with menaces is unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—

(a)that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand; and

(b)that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand.

(2) The nature of the act or omission demanded is immaterial, and it is also immaterial whether the menaces relate to action to be taken by the person making the demand.

(3) A person guilty of blackmail shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Administration of Justice Act 1970

"Punishment for unlawful harassment of debtors.”

1. A person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing a person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under a contract he:

harasses the other with demands for payment which, in respect of their frequency, the manner or occasion of making any such demand, or of any threat or publicity by which any demand is accompanied, are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation

falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay for it

utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character, or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not

2. A person may be guilty of an offence by virtue of sub-section (1)(a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such actions as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.

wp3

the police assisting bailiffs like this is not new. Manchester used to do it a lot but had to stop.

This is a thread about the Greater Manchester Police acting outside their powers. I suggest you trawl through it - it is particularly relevant to your case. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/145713-detained-police-unpaid-pcn.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in october 2008 i had a pcn from ealing council london for an alleged parking offence which i disputed as i'd pulled over to drop someone and to take a call. the council were informed via 2 letters 2 phone calls and a fax, they confirmed that the case was on hold till they sent me the photos and i responded. i informed them of my london address when working for post and not the ad where my car was registerd as that is only on days off work but no letter or photos to this date at either address from the council.

then yesterday on the way to work the police pulled me over outside the ramada jarvis hotel in ealing common (like innocent_man) to check my car which got the all clear but then the pc said the bailiff wanted to speak to me.

in a nutshell, for that on hold £50 fine from the council and their own maladministration in 2008 i was forced (felt like under gun point) to pay £503.25 inc card charges i could have saved a couple of quid said the bailiff if i pay cash but i had to leave the car and walk to the cash point (and find one that would dispense £500) alternatively they would take my car and charge me £330 plus storage charges. i was now very late for work and with all the cops present felt I had no choice but to pay, it's like being the victim of the the old highway robbers ! is this legal/fraud/theft/blackmail/what and what action if any can i take?

i went to (collect services, ickenham) the bailiffs in person but was told by an obnoxious and repulsive manageress no refund as debt settled . i am left to battle with the council who thus far have left me on hold totalling 50 mins in 2 calls today b4 dropping the call!!. any help most appreciated please. I chanced upon this site today and signd up and appreciate any advice which would benefit me and others in similar situation and hopefully lead to such demoralising and destructive(financially) practice involving our protectors, the police, who cannot catch real criminals!