Barclays charges + PPI. Advice pls

tasered

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

My father has been a sole trader for almost 20 years now. His business bank account and business credit card are with Barclays. Recently he has been having a lot of trouble financially. I am currently reviewing his finances and have noticed that Barclays have been quietly ripping him off for years now. I am hoping to get some advice on how best to proceed with them.

1. He currently has 2 active barclaycard personal credit cards. He also had a number of previous barclaycards which he has closed now. On all of his personal cards he is charged PPI (but not on his business credit card). He applies for all his cards over the phone and his understanding from these applications is that PPI is something he is required to have in order to be approved for his credit cards. Barclays are fully aware that he is a sole trader, after all his business accounts are with Barclays. I intend to call them, tell them that I think he has been missold PPI, ask for all PPI charges to be cancelled going forward and ask them about their complaints procedure so I can write in and request a refund of all previous charges. My understanding from other posts is that, if successful, he is entitled to all PPI charges + all interest charged by Barclaycard on PPI charges + 8%. Is that the case? Also, by arguing that he is a sole trader and that Barclays were aware of this and missold him inappropriate PPI, is this sufficient to win the argument, or are there any other points I need to raise pls?

2. A few years ago, he went into a barclays bank to renew his home insurance. A salesgirl sat him down and told him that he could get cheaper home insurance if he signed up for Barclays Additions. A few months ago, on another trip to a Barclays branch, again he was told to upgrade to Premier Life and he did. He did sign in both cases but I feel again here the he was missold this product. Given his financial situation, these products are totally inappropriate for him. He also has no understanding of what these products mean and he has not been making use of any of the features they offer. For example, mobile phone insurance is offered but you need to register your phone and he has not done that. The account also offers beakdown cover, yet he has been paying for his own breakdown cover all these years. And the worst thing is that the account offers him a £1000 interest free overdraft, but it needs to be arranged. He never arranged this and instead has been on a £250 overdraft with £1000 reserve. In this setup, everytime he goes over £250 by even £5, he is charged £22.50 for every 5 days he stays over. And this has happened many many many times over the years. When I noticed this, the first thing I did was ask him to request the £1000 overdraft. He went into the branch to request this and they refused him. They said given his current financial situation they could not offer him the interest free overdraft.

So financially he is not suitable to have a £1000 interest free overdraft, yet he is suitable to have tens of thousands of credit lines on his credit cards, and he is suitable to pay £17.50 per month for an account that is of no use to him.

Again I intend to call them and cancel his Premier Life account, but do you think that I have grounds to request a refund on previous charges on the grounds of misselling. Also should I be disputing all these £22.50 charges for going over the £250 overdraft limit?

Basically, I just want some advice on how best to proceed with these guys and to know which area to tackle first. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the very long post.

Hi Tasered and welcome to CAG.

Re the PPI issue, can you copy your text above and repeat the question in a new thread in the PPI forum.

There are many threads about Barclays Additions Fees. Many have complained about them after discovering that B's had swapped their a/c to Additions without consent.

In your case, consent was given but the product may not have been appropriate or financially beneficial. If you complain in writing, B's may offer to refund some of the Add'ns fees if you can show that the change was made without proper regard to your father's circumstances or needs.

The same goes for the Premiere Life a/c.

You can opt out of the Reserve Fees system but you may have problems if they refuse to provide the o/d which you need.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)