Curry's. Mobile Broadband Laptop Fault. Warranty Issue

SOD'EM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guy's,

A friend of mine has a laptop from Curry's on a 2 year broadband contract (obviously the laptop came free with the contract). Unfortunately, it has bit the dust. He took it into Curry's to see where he stood but they said it would cost him £200 just for them to look at it.

The laptop is 14 months old and they say that the warranty is only for 12 months. Is this true?

Any help much appreciated.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

load of cobras!

soga states it should last a resonable time

14mts is not resonable!

they should repair foc, they might get you to get an ind eng report done, that might cost £25-30 but you get that back too

do some reading up sod 'em

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What's the fault with the laptop? Something serious like no power?

dx100uk is right, depending on the fault, you'll need to get an independent report done which states that the fault was their from day one. You then need to send this to customer services in Sheffield who will process your query and if needed process a repair.

Hope this helps

Chris

Tech Guys

welcome along chris

nice to have you onboard

i'll keep you in mind

we get lots of tech guys questions.

sod em has a more detailed thread about it here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/technical-computer-console-satnav/253645-computer-says-nooooooooooo.html

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What's the fault with the laptop? Something serious like no power?

dx100uk is right, depending on the fault, you'll need to get an independent report done which states that the fault was their from day one. You then need to send this to customer services in Sheffield who will process your query and if needed process a repair.

Hope this helps

Chris

Tech Guys

Thanks for that chris.

He has took it to a computer sales/repair shop even though I wouldn't have advised him to go to that particular one. He was told that he had a virus and it would cost £60 to have it fixed, which he agreed to (this is before I knew anything about it). When he picked up the laptop he took it home and started it. It came on fine for about ten minutes and then went dead again.

He goes back to the shop and explains. The guy then takes it away again and comes back and says that his motherboard has gone and promptly gave him his £60 back. He has since just left it sitting in the house for weeks until I heard about it.

I takes it home with me and sure enough, it is dead for a short while and then after fiddling with the wire, the charge light was flashing. I left it for about 5 minutes and then turned the machine on. Everything lit up and the cooling fan started up. The screen stayed black and then after about 30 seconds, it died completely.

Messed with the wire again for ages to no avail. I could still start the machine but it would only come on for 30 seconds again, and the screen would stay blank. I think that the 5 minutes of charge allowed that to happen.

What I was wondering is, surely after 30 seconds, something would have shown on the screen before it shut itself down. That is why (although it all points to a power fault), I am not sure if it is the motherboard. I wouldn't know the symptoms:confused: of a knackered motherboard?

Assuming the laptop is a common brand the shop still stocks, I think it would be worth your while popping down and asking if you could plug your laptop into one of their chargers just to varify that it's not your charger thats at fault.

Most shops wouldn't have a problem with this, I know I do it for customers all the time.

• Haha 1

advents use a standerd sizes power supply.

ussually 19v 3.42amp, the netbooks use a power supply with slightly less amps however ussing a larger power supply will not hurt them.

if you feel it is the power supply then if you know anyone with either a toshiba, advent, eisystem, older packard bells should fit

if it does turn out to be a power supply then dont spend £30 - £40 getting a generic adaptor you can get a good 19/3.42 for around £7 - £20

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Thanks Labrat, I will have to find out exactly what model it is.

I do know it's an Advent and it has a 16" or 17" screen.

I have both a Toshiba laptop and an Acer as well. None of them power adapters fit in the Advent.

You don't happen to have a multi metre do you? If you do you can test your power supply on that. Alternatively take it into a pc world and one of the guys can test it for you.

Then maybe trying this, take the battery out, hold the power button down for 30 seconds then reattach the power lead leaving the battery out. You may find this discharges any static from the laptop.

Faulty laptops can sometimes have the problem of powering on shutting down after 20 seconds, but try those steps out first, let me know how you get on.

Chris

Tech Guys

sod'em i wouldnt worry about a model

are you sure its advent tho?

16" or 17" sounds more like an acer

advents tend to stick to 15.4" or 15.6" there is a couple of models with 17" but theyre fairly uncommon.

if it is an advent tho with a screen larger then 10" then any 19v/3.42amp adaptor will work, tho some use a 20v/3.25amp you wont notice any differnt

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: