So RLP have 'passed my debt' on...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, just wondering if anybody can offer some comments and advice on this situation -

RLP initially gave its demands of the classic £87.50 from a case from Wilkinsons. A few letters have been sent and a couple of months have gone by.

I now have received a letter from 'JB Debt Recovery' issuing a demand for 87.50 as due to ignoring all previous correspondence. The letter states that there will be 7 days before 'no alternative than to consider legal action'.

Can anybody assist me on what the outcomes of this situation may be, paying or not paying? Many thanks in advance.

Well, if they have to "consider" it, let them consider it... As long as the letters say "may", "might", "consider" etc... it means they're not doing it. They will try to intimidate you with pseudo-legalese though, so learn to read the important parts, as highlighted above. ;-)

RLP's argument for not having a consumer credit licence was that they deal with claims for damages, not debt. Since there's been no court case with an award to RLP, there's no debt, so this letter is just designed to intimidate.

Under Section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1998 it is an offence to send an indecent, offensive or threatening letter, electronic communication or other article to another person.

You could report them, or you could send JB a demand for £6m - it would have exactly the same legal standing.

• 3 months later...

yes my daughters been getting letters from rlp for about 9 months now, shes ignored them all, now shes had a letter from jb debt recovery in Glasgow, I rang them up to ask questions, they said if she doesnt pay in the next 7 days she will have to attend court and will get a CCJ against here which will stop her getting future credit, a bank loan, mortgage, etc, but my question is will it? or was he talking cr%%?

I might consider paying but shes out of work i need to know the answer to a few questions. Will her name stays on the dishonesty database that rlp brags about? will this affect her credit rating? paid or not?

If it goes to court it can be defended and your daughter may not get a CCJ awarded, these cases are not liked by county courts as they view them as a waste of court time from the company - NOT from yourself.

Don't speak to anyone on the phone as they will spout the alleged 'legal' line and try to bully you into paying and therefore admitting to what may have been a genuine mistake.

• 1 month later...
Firstly, never speak to DCAs on the phone; keep everything in writing.

Secondly, JB won't be taking anyone to court, as they have no cause of action, and we know that RLP don't do court. Stick with it and ignore them.

so what JB can do if they won't be taking anyone to court?