Health & Safety Company Requirements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had lower back pain caused by my work chairs for over a year now. From the start I had researched the cause of back pain at work and told them what chair I need (it's called a saddle seat and is designed to relieve back pain).

They have ignored this in favour of their own process which has involved shipping a stream of cheap chairs that are much the same and increasing pressure on me to pretend that the latest incarnation has solved all my problems. It's all distinctly for show.

The most recent event was having a 'medical' report done on the situation, which basically involved a salesman (as far as I could see) asking me a few questions and recommending a chair that, again, is much like all the other ones (just a lot more expensive as it's his company). His report is littered with mistakes, including where I actually feel pain, demonstrating it's unreliability.

I cannot put up with much more pain so have decided to fork out the £4/500 for an ergonomic 'saddle' seat chair that my chiropractor has recommended. Thing is they are blocking this, saying that I am undermining their efforts! It's like they want me to suffer. I don't know what to do. Is there any law I can threaten with? Surely I should be allowed to bring my own chair if the company efforts are failing me after a year of patience, pain and treatment costs. Help please!

How about giving the ACAS free helpline a call.

Acas - About us

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hello sezchwarn. Have you had a browse on the HSE website? I would think they might have some information. Also, you might want to look at the Disablilty Discrimination Act, to see if you could be covered by the Act. It requires the condition to have lasted or be expected to last more than 12 months.

I can't comment directly on their efforts from experience, although they sound rather pathetic. Say you were covered by the DDA, they would be expected to make 'reasonable workplace adjustments' to enable you to do your job more easily. If that's the case, then to criticise you for trying to help yourself sounds illogical to me. [i am a lay person.]

Have they received a report from your chiropractor?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum