Sainsbury CCJ - old credit card debt - need to set aside.

Axiom99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could anyone help me with this problem please.

I received a Claim Form for a Sainsburys debt in November and managed to find a solicitor who agreed to defend me on a no win no fee basis ( I had already had an audit done on the agreement and there were breaches in it.

The solicitor prepared a defence for me and told me they had submitted it to the court.

In January I received notification that the defence had not been received in the required time period and therefore a judgement had been granted in default.

I immediately informed the solicitor who has prevaricated using various excuses and has now declared that I did not give them enough time to submit the defence in the first place( I dispute this ) and they therefore want me to agree to pay them 500 quid plus VAT to apply for the set aside.

I have spoken to the Court and they have informed me that they have never received the defence even though I have a copy of the defence sent to me by the solicitor and written confirmation that they sent it to the court via the Document Exchange system.

I have asked the solicitor to furnish me with all details of the delivery of the defence to the court but no response.

As I understand it if the defence had arrived a day or two late (instead of never) there would still have been a good chance of avoiding a judgement in default.

I am thinking I will now have to apply for the set aside myself which I beleive is a form N244.

I am wondering whether to quote the problems with the solicitor in my mitigating circumstances as well as the original defence the solicitor prepared for me which was that the agreement did not comply with prescribed terms CCA 1974.

Any help would be appreciated as the casehas been moved to my local court for enforcement

Hi you need to post on the repossession thread and try and get ELL-enn to help you .She is brilliant with this .You can download the N244 form and enter it to the court yourself.Costs £35.00 .I did exactly that last month and Ellen helped me with the form.

Good Luck and try not to worry you will find help on that thread

SSBJHAM

Hi you need to post on the repossession thread and try and get ELL-enn to help you .She is brilliant with this .You can download the N244 form and enter it to the court yourself.Costs £35.00 .I did exactly that last month and Ellen helped me with the form.

Good Luck and try not to worry you will find help on that thread

SSBJHAM

SSBJHAM thanks for that I will post on the thread you suggest,I guess really what I was wondering is if I could use the failure of my solicitor as an argument to have the judgement set aside.

Could anyone help me with this problem please.

I received a Claim Form for a Sainsburys debt in November and managed to find a solicitor who agreed to defend me on a no win no fee basis

( I had already had an audit done on the agreement and there were breaches in it.

The solicitor prepared a defence for me and told me they had submitted it to the court.

In January I received notification that the defence had not been received in the required time period and therefore a judgement had been granted in default.

I immediately informed the solicitor who has prevaricated using various excuses and has now declared that I did not give them enough time to submit the defence in the first place( I dispute this ) and they therefore want me to agree to pay them 500 quid plus VAT to apply for the set aside

I have spoken to the Court and they have informed me that they have never received the defence even though I have a copy of the defence sent to me by the solicitor and written confirmation that they sent it to the court via the Document Exchange system.

I have asked the solicitor to furnish me with all details of the delivery of the defence to the court but no response.

As I understand it if the defence had arrived a day or two late (instead of never) there would still have been a good chance of avoiding a judgement in default.

I am thinking I will now have to apply for the set asidemyself which I beleive is a form N244

I am wondering whether to quote the problems with the solicitor in my mitigating circumstances

as well as the original defence the solicitor prepared for me which was that the agreement did not comply with prescribed terms CCA 1974.

Any help would be appreciated as the case has been moved to my local court for enforcement

Hi,

This would be a valid reason in light of the documentation you have which can prove this.

I would recommend representing yourself in this situation with CAGs help - no need to hire solicitors who probably do not know half as much as we do ;-)

sounds like you got yourself a good solicitor then!:eek:

I received a Claim Form for a Sainsburys debt in November and managed to find a solicitor who agreed to defend me on a no win no fee basis - did you get a contract or sign anything?

( I had already had an audit done on the agreement and there were breaches in it. - breaches in it? could you explain?

The solicitor prepared a defence for me and told me they had submitted it to the court. - when did you receive a copy/ notification of the supposed defence?

I immediately informed the solicitor who has prevaricated using various excuses and has now declared that I did not give them enough time to submit the defence in the first place( I dispute this ) and they therefore want me to agree to pay them 500 quid plus VAT to apply for the set asidelink3.gif.:eek: are they having a laugh? no win no fee generally means that.... also, when you first saw the solicitor I'm sure that they were aware of the length of time they had to prepare and file a defence. I may be wrong, but I think the application is only around £75.00, so what's the rest of the money for?

I have spoken to the Court and they have informed me that they have never received the defence even though I have a copy of the defence sent to me by the solicitor and written confirmation that they sent it to the court via the Document Exchange system. -confirmation from whom?

I have asked the solicitor to furnish me with all details of the delivery of the defence to the court but no response. - I'm just guessing here, but it could be that they are pulling your plonker in the first place and so Cannot respond!

As I understand it if the defence had arrived a day or two late (instead of never) there would still have been a good chance of avoiding a judgement in default.:roll: probably though never guaranteed!

I am thinking I will now have to apply for the set asidelink3.gif myself which I beleive is a form N244link3.gif.

I am wondering whether to quote the problems with the solicitor in my mitigating circumstances tbh, that IS the reason you need it set aside... as far as you were aware everything had been done and filed.... as well as the original defence the solicitor prepared for me which was that the agreement did not comply with prescribed terms CCA 1974. - on this I would wait for advice from someone a little bit more experienced.... the defence they wrote for you may be of the same low standard as the service they have given you...

Any help would be appreciated as the case has been moved to my local court for enforcement

My fight so far:

hunni2006 V Halifax Bank: Charges £963.11 refunded nov 2006:D

Cabot financial V hunni2006: defending court summons, ongoing... July 09 :-x:-x:-x don't even get me started about them....grrr still battling

hunni2006 V Capital One: SA request & CCA issued, ongoing.. July 09 OC 'checking the archives...' Sept 09, no agreement, files closed!:D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< please feel free to tip my scales if I've been helpful!

:DLearning more, every day.....

I have No legal training, any opinions and advice posted are entirely my own opinion, and based on life experiences and knowledge gained on this great site. Ultimately, what you do is up to you.

hunni2006 said:
sounds like you got yourself a good solicitor then!:eek:

Hi Hunni thanks for your post,answers to your questions.

The solicitor took the case on a no win no fee basis and said that they would send on the paperwork but I never received it.I believe however that there is an implicit contract on the basis that the solicitor prepared a defence and confirmed to me they had submitted it on my behalf.

As I understand it the CCA had improperly calculated APR figures in it which were in breach of CCA 1974.

Please bear with me regarding timeslines as they argue I did not give then enough time to submit defence.

23.11.2009- I received Claim Form from Northhampton dated 20.11.2009.As I understand it the time limit for the submission of the defence is 28 days after the date the claim form is deemed to have been served and the court has confirmed to me that is 5 days after the date on the claim form( I think it also said that in the notes on the back of the claim form).So I make it the last date for submission of a defence is 23.12.2009

9.12.2009- I sent attachments showing the CCA and claim form to the solicitors.

15.12.2009- Solicitors emailed me asking when was the time limit for the defence to be submitted( they have a copy of the claim form by this time wtf!)

15.12.2009- I email back saying that in my opinion it is 23.12.2009

16.12.2009- Solicitors email me saying that they will take on the case and start working on it as a matter of urgency and asking how soon can I get the documents to them.( I did not see this email until after office hours had ended).

17.12.2009-I phone solicitors and it is agreed between us that due to concerns about Xmas post I will hand over documents earliest I can meet their man which ends up being after office hours on 18.12.2009.He tells me he will hand over the form to their chief litigator first thing on 21.12.2009.

21.12.2009.-I call their office and their litigator has the form and other documents.

22.12.2009- Solicitor sends me an email after close of business with a copy of the defence and saying that it has been submitted to the court via the document exchange system which means it will be there first thing 23.12.2009 and pointing out that the last date for the submission of the defence was 18.12.2009 but not to worry too much as if there is a judgement in default the litigator says it will be ok as he will apply for set aside.

22.12.2009- I email back pointing out my previous opinion regarding final date for submission of defence.

Good point about the 500 quid I guess that they must be tight for cash !

As I said before have spent months trying to get the solicitor to sort this then finally last week I call the court and they tell me they have never received the defence- surely there must be some system that records documents sent via the document exchange?

So from what I can gather I should not refer to the defence they have produced( good point it may be a load of crap) and submit N244 on the grounds that I understood a solicitor had submitted a defence for me.

That being the case could you please elaborate upon how I should complete the following sections from the form.

3.What order are you asking the court to make and why?

4.Have you attached a draft of the order you are applting for?

5.Presumably I should ask for this to be dealt with at a hearing

6.How long will the hearing last?

Give details of any fixed trial date or period

What level of Judge does your hearing need?

Who should be served with this applicatio

What information will you be relying on, in support of your application?

the attached witness statement

the statement of case

the evidence set out in the box below

I guess the statement of case is 'my solicitor cocked it up' and the evidence would be a print out of all the emails I have mentioned.

Cheers :)

Hi Hunni thanks for your post,answers to your questions.

Hi Axiom, I will do what I can to help, but am not by any means an expert in this:oops: I think you've had a raw deal from this solicitor tbh and he seems to have made things far more complicated and expensive for you from the off!

The solicitor took the case on a no win no fee basis and said that they would send on the paperwork but I never received it.I believe however that there is an implicit contract on the basis that the solicitor prepared a defence and confirmed to me they had submitted it on my behalf. ok, so no paperwork on that one.

As I understand it the CCA had improperly calculated APR figures in it which were in breach of CCA 1974. could you post your agreement up here? make sure to remove all personal details if there are any

Please bear with me regarding timeslines as they argue I did not give then enough time to submit defence.

23.11.2009- I received Claim Form from Northhampton dated 20.11.2009.As I understand it the time limit for the submission of the defence is 28 days after the date the claim form is deemed to have been served and the court has confirmed to me that is 5 days after the date on the claim form( I think it also said that in the notes on the back of the claim form).So I make it the last date for submission of a defence is 23.12.2009 did you acknowledge receipt online?.....see below, this is from a post from 42man on one of my own threads when I first received the summons...

Re: Cabot financila (Vanquis CC) court summons is it too late to use CCA 1974? The significance of the court is that with Northampton it is a bulk clearing centre for claims and can be done online....You must acknowledge the claim within 14 days of the date on the claim form - then if it is your intention to defend all then this must be stated, then you get a further 14+3 days in which to submit your defence....

so I think tbh you may have been out of the timescales anyway...

9.12.2009- I sent attachments showing the CCA and claim form to the solicitors.

15.12.2009- Solicitors emailed me asking when was the time limit for the defence to be submitted( they have a copy of the claim form by this time wtf!)

15.12.2009- I email back saying that in my opinion it is 23.12.2009

16.12.2009- Solicitors email me saying that they will take on the case and start working on it as a matter of urgency and asking how soon can I get the documents to them.( I did not see this email until after office hours had ended).

17.12.2009-I phone solicitors and it is agreed between us that due to concerns about Xmas post I will hand over documents earliest I can meet their man which ends up being after office hours on 18.12.2009.He tells me he will hand over the form to their chief litigator first thing on 21.12.2009.

21.12.2009.-I call their office and their litigator has the form and other documents.

22.12.2009- Solicitor sends me an email after close of business with a copy of the defence and saying that it has been submitted to the court via the document exchange system which means it will be there first thing 23.12.2009 and pointing out that the last date for the submission of the defence was 18.12.2009 but not to worry too much as if there is a judgement in default the litigator says it will be ok as he will apply for set aside.

22.12.2009- I email back pointing out my previous opinion regarding final date for submission of defence.

Good point about the 500 quid I guess that they must be tight for cash !

As I said before have spent months trying to get the solicitor to sort this then finally last week I call the court and they tell me they have never received the defence- surely there must be some system that records documents sent via the document exchange? I would certainly have thought so... you mention written confirmation in your earlier post, was that just the solicitor writing to you confirming it had been sent?

So from what I can gather I should not refer to the defence they have produced( good point it may be a load of crap) It may also be good... I just don't know as we haven't seen it! what I would do is post the defence up here, Again make sure you remove any identifying info.

The chances are that the defence was not comprehensive at this stage, because once a claim is defended, the case is generally moved to a court local to you, and there are more stages to go through and lots more filing before you get to a hearing... my case has been going on since last may and is still ongoing!

and submit N244 on the grounds that I understood a solicitor had submitted a defence for me. well words to that effect... I'd say something along the lines of you had engaged a solicitor to defend the claim on your behalf and you had been informed by them that the defence had been submitted to the courts, you were unaware that this was not the case until the judgement in default arrived, and would therefore like to apply to have judgement set aside in order to defend the claim.

but first... before you spend any money... make sure you have a case that you can defend. post up the agreement and the particulars of claim on the claim form, and I'll flag this thread up and ask someone on the site team to look in, you'll get lots of help on here.:D

That being the case could you please elaborate upon how I should complete the following sections from the form.

3.What order are you asking the court to make and why?

4.Have you attached a draft of the order you are applting for?

5.Presumably I should ask for this to be dealt with at a hearing

6.How long will the hearing last?

Give details of any fixed trial date or period

What level of Judge does your hearing need?

Who should be served with this applicatio

What information will you be relying on, in support of your application?

the attached witness statement

the statement of case

the evidence set out in the box below

First let's make sure you're not wasting money and have a case, then we'll know what to put on the form.:rolleyes:

I guess the statement of case is 'my solicitor cocked it up' and the evidence would be a print out of all the emails I have mentioned.:D lol

Cheers :)

sorry I can't be more help:oops:

My fight so far:

Cabot financial V hunni2006: defending court summons, ongoing... July 09 :-x:-x:-x don't even get me started about them....grrr still battling

hunni2006 V Capital One: SA request & CCA issued, ongoing.. July 09 OC 'checking the archives...' Sept 09, no agreement, files closed!:D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< please feel free to tip my scales if I've been helpful!

I have No legal training, any opinions and advice posted are entirely my own opinion, and based on life experiences and knowledge gained on this great site. Ultimately, what you do is up to you.

Hi Axiom

Looks like Hunni's been giving you some good advice.:)

As well as the agreement can you post up Sainsbury's particulars of claim please.

You've got 2 issues to deal with here, and I would say the court judgement is the most urgent.

The second issue is the NWNF solicitors. I'm very surprised that a law firm has taken on a case without a written contract.

If they sent the document by DX I would have thought that it would be traceable. Ask them to confirm that it was sent by this method. If it was sent securely it should have been signed for, so if your defence has gone astray I would expect the solicitor to be taking the DX company to task over this.

It seems odd that on the one hand they claim to have sent the defence, and on the other are saying they didn't have time to deal with it. It can't have been both.

Just as a precaution, I suggest that you check your solicitor on the law society site.

The Law Society - Find a solicitor

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hunni,

Thanks very much for your help it is much appreciated will get to work on the posting of agreement etc,have not done this before so bear with me.

I sent my acknowledgement of service form by recorded delivery on 7.12.2009,as I understand it I had 14 days after the date of service of the original claim form,ie

20.11.2009 plus 14 plus 5 = 9.12.2009.

On the acknowledgement of service form it says

"If you file an acknowledgement of service but do not file a defence within 28 days of the date of service of the claim form judgement may be entered against you"

By my reckoning that means the defence had to be submitted by :

20.11.2009 plus 28 plus 5 for service = 23.12.2009.

Will work on documents required and get back asap.

Thanks Caro,

I am working on the document side of things

,bit of a task for me not very IT literate.

The solicitor has confirmed by email in December the documents were sent by DX but since I started to query them and ask for details they have just stopped replying.

When they told me by email they had sent the defence they voiced their opinion that the date for the defence had already been and gone but they said it wasn't a problem they could apply for a set aside.

I immediately replied to them with my opinion that it was not too late to submit the defence and still believe that if the defence had been received by the court when the solicitor said it was there would have been no problem.

I have asked them to investigate circumstances regarding delivery of defence but its all gone quiet no reply to my enquiries except to ak for 500 quid plus VAT to submit set aside forms.

I have checked them on Law Soc website and they seem legit :confused:

Did you ever get a contract from them?

I would suggest that you phone the Law Society and ask their advice on this. I've found them very helpful in the past.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Did you ever get a contract from them?

I would suggest that you phone the Law Society and ask their advice on this. I've found them very helpful in the past.

Right at the start they said they would send me a contract but due to urgency would get on with it and send contract later but it never showed up.

Will contatc LS for advice

feared that might happen don't know why the attachments are so small any help with uploading documents?

They are jpegs between 1.0 and 1.5 mb

Edited by Axiom99

Hi Caro, thanks for looking in on this!:D

axiom,

I found that using http://www.photobucket.com to upload your images is easiest....

once you have opened an account you upload your pictures, (which is dead easy, even for a technophobe like me!) and then each picture has a list of links for you to share the image, just copy the link for direct link and then when you are posting it up on here you click the icon for posting a picture and paste the link in that... then hey presto, we have a full size document!

Failing that, have pm'd you, will help with getting the docs up if you are still struggling.;)

Edited by hunni2006
added more!

My fight so far:

no worries, got your email & I'm on it!

Sainsburys.jpgSainsburys1.jpgSainsburys2.jpg

Agreement101.jpgAgreement101.jpglink to the agreements.... ( 4 further pages of the first agreement and all 8 pages of the 2nd agreement)

Agreement101.jpgAgreement101.jpgAXIOM pictures by hunni2006_photos - Photobucket

and below is the defence....

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT Claim NO ************

BETWEEN

SAINSBURY’S BANK PLC

Claimant

PART 20 DEFENDANT

and

Defendant

PART 20 CLAIMANT

DEFENCE AND COUNTERCLAIM

DEFENCE

1. The Defendant admits and avers that the Claimant is a finance house providing credit facilities and ancillary financial products primarily to individuals for non--business purposes.

2. On a date prior to 7 April 2007 (for the purposes of section 127 (3) of the Consumer Credit act 1974, the Defendant was interested in obtaining credit facilities and entered into a credit card agreement with the Claimant (the „agreement‟) which was regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the „Act‟). The Defendant further contends, to the best of his recollection, (for want of a better documentary information at the retained by himself or provided by the Claimant) that the date of the agreement was before 31 May 2005 (four purposes of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983; as amended by SI 1984/1600, SI 1985/666, SI 1988/2047, SI 1999/ 3177, SI 2001/3649).

3. The Claimant has provided an unexecuted standard form terms and conditions. The Claimant has not provided a copy of the original credit agreement between the Claimant and

Defendant as required under Section 78 of the Act. The Defendant contends, in the premises and in any event that the documents supplied by the Defendant has failed to comply with sections 61 (1) (a) and (b) of the Act breaches whereof are irremediable.

4. In the documentation provided by the Claimant the Apr and interest rates referred to are given exclusive of any charges. This does not provide the Defendant with a true reflection of what he has to pay over the course of the agreement and as a result is misleading. The Defendant has noted the comments of the Office of Fair Trading on this point who state that the purpose of the APR in a credit agreement “is to express the Total Charge for Credit as a standard measure borrowers can use to compare the credit charges under one deal with another” whatever the method of charging is used.

5. Notwithstanding its failure to demonstrate a validly executed agreement fully compliant in all material respects with the Act and other regulatory provisions, the Claimant has sought to enforce the agreement. In particular:

(1) Charging interest and default charges to the account;

(2) Issuing proceedings for recovery of money, interest and default charges.

6. In the premises, more particularly in the absence of disclosure or production of a validly executed agreement fully compliant in all material respects with the act and other regulatory provisions, the Claimant, by virtue of section 61, 65, and 127 of the Act, is barred from enforcing the agreement and the Court is obliged by operation of law to dismiss any application to do so.

7. In the premises, the claim is liable to be struck out.

8. Further or alternatively, the Defendant of is that by reason of the matters set out above the relationship between the Claimant and the Defendant arising out of the agreement is unfair to the Defendant for the purposes of section 140A the Act.

9. The Defendant reserves the right to plead further upon receipt of further documentation from the Claimant.

10. Save as is hereinbefore expressly admitted, the Defendant denies each and every allegation contained in the Particulars of Claim as if the same were set out herein and specifically traversed.

COUNTERCLAIM

11. The Defendant repeats paragraphs 1 – 10 of the Defence above.

12. In the light of the Claimant‟s default in responding to a statutory request under Section 78 of the Act to provide the Claimant with a true copy of the executed agreement, and without conceding or admitting that the same was ever created or continues to exist, the Claimant seeks an order for delivery up of a true copy of the executed agreement.

13. Further or alternatively, in default of delivery up of a true copy of the executed agreement, the Claimant seeks a declaration that the agreement is unenforceable.

14. Further or alternatively, the Defendant seeks an injunction to restrain the Claimant from reporting the Defendant to any credit reference agencies in respect of any past, present or future breach of the agreement and ordering the Claimant to rescind any prior report of any alleged default on the part of the Defendant to any credit reference agency; whether under section 140B of the Act or pursuant to the Court‟s equitable jurisdiction.

AND the Defendant counterclaims

(1) An order for delivery up of a true copy of the executed agreement.

(2) A declaration that the agreement is unenforceable as aforesaid;

(3) An injunction to restrain the Defendant from reporting the Claimant to any credit reference agencies in respect of any past, present or future breach of the agreement and ordering the Defendant to rescind any prior report of any alleged default on the part of the Claimant to any credit reference agency

(4) Further or other relief

Dated this 22nd day of December 2009

……………………………………………………………………………

REFERENCE: ********************** Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in Defence and Counterclaim are true

Signed Position or Office held (if signing on behalf of firm or company)

Date

was there any explanation as to why you got 2 agreements in response to your CCA request?Agreement103.jpgAgreement101.jpg

My fight so far:

I'm no expert, but I certainly can't see any space for signatures on what has been posted so far so I don't know where you would have signed it.

There seem to be a couple of pages still not posted.

I'm no expert, but I certainly can't see any space for signatures on what has been posted so far so I don't know where you would have signed it. me neither!

There seem to be a couple of pages still not posted. oops! lol, there were that many I didn't want to make the post too long! the rest of the docs are posted up on photobucket... and I've labeled them either 1 or 2 with a page number to identify the 2 different agreements...

hth

My fight so far:

Doh. Thanks Hunni. Good thing someone's on the ball!!:p

Take a look at this informative thread and see what you think.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/162851-consumer-credit-agreements-guide.html#post1747470

I notice that your solicitor was suggesting a counterclaim. If you are thinking of going it alone now, you should bear in mind that you will need to pay a fee for this. I would have thought that draft directions at the Allocation Questionnaire stage would cover the items in the counterclaim.

Obviously they're the legal experts so please bear this in mind when deciding what action you should take.