• Tweets

• Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
    • This is simply a scam site.  It's been shown to be a scam in the national press and on national TV. Please fill in the the forum sticky and upload the invoice you've received. In fact what you have is an invoice, not a fine, a private company doesn't have the power to issue fines.  
    • Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What happens when you actually go to court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As well as the capquest bankruptcy threat I mentioned on another thread, I've got Bryan Carter solicitors trying to get a CCJ against me for a debt of £2,407.33 originally owed to egg banking.

I've sent them the 'unenforceable agreements' letter from this site and, also mentioned the following facts - was sent via registered post.

I owe approx £65,000 in unsecured debts to about 10 different creditors (including the inland revenue)

I don't own any property or other assets

My business has gone downhill due to the recession and I'm currently claiming WTC and Housing Benefit (sent proof of both of these)

I also sent a defence to Northampton bulk court (citing that BC they hadn't sent me copies of all the relevant documents etc)

Anyway, on the 18th March I got a letter saying that they were offering me a 'full and final offer' of £1506.40 (which I can't pay anyway - I can hardly survive from week to week as it is!)

Now however, I've just had a letter from my local County Court (which I take more seriously than Bryan Carter's letters!) sending me an Allocation Questionnaire

It also says

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The claimant (ie, Bryan Carter/Egg) having failed to file the allocation questionnaire as directed IT IS ORDERED that unless the claimaint files the allocation questionnaire by 4pm on 6th April 2010 the claim shall be sturck out

The defendant (ie, me) having failed to file the allocation questionnaire as directed IT IS ORDERED that unless the defendent files the allocation questionnaire by 4pm on 6th April 2010 the defence and any part 20 counterclaim will be struck out and judgement entered for the claimant.

Now, clearly, I do need to answer this, but I'm not sure what to say.

In my earlier communications with BC I sent off the 'unenforceable debt' letter mentioned here. But the thing is, the thought of standing up in court and saying all that terrifies me - lots of the people on here seem to have good legal minds (and I'm very grateful for them!!) but I just haven't and find it all very difficult to understand...

My questions are...

Do you think BC are bluffing? Will they actually take me to court?

If they do, (ie, there's a hearing, and I turn up) - will they turn up too?

What will I be expected to say or do?

What exactly is a CCJ? - I don't mind that much having one in terms of it being a blot on my record, as I've got loads of defaults and it's a mess already. Does a CCJ mean that the judge orders that you should pay the money or bailiffs get sent in (not that I've got much to take!!) Or do you set up a payment plan via the CCJ? Given that I'm on benefits, I can't imagine the judge setting that very high. And especially since I owe the Inland Revenue money, so they should come first.

The questions they ask on the allocations form are...

Would you like to use the free small claims mediation service provided by the Court service?

Should I? Would this be a good idea?

Track

Do you agree that the small claims track is the most suitable track for this claim?

Is it? I don't know?

They ask if I want to us witnesses or experts

Then they ask about dates in the next four months when I will/won't be available

Would it be a good idea to put lots of dates? Say I'm going away for a month, or something?

Then they ask for 'other information' to help the judge manage or clarify the claim, including information that should be supplied by the other party

Should I put stuff in here about my limited income, and other debts

Fee

then they ask if i've attached the fee for filing this allocation questionairre... it says 'an allocation fee is payable if your claim or counterclaim exceeds £1,500 - well, clearly the claim that BC are making does, (I'm not making a counterclaim) - so I assume I'm not meant to pay anything... I wouldn't be able to anyway!

To be honest, I'm amazed that Bryan Carter are still ploughing on with this... I've sent them enough information for them to know I've got huge debts and no money in the pot, so really it's a waste of their time.

Any help you can give me on filling in this Allocation Questionnaire much appreciated!

Many thanks

Pinkpencilcase

Hi,

Well the bad news is that they have taken you to court because the Judge has made an order for the AQ to be filed by both parties.

Are you able to scan up any documents?

We can help with this but you need to be quick!

VJ

Many thanks for your response... what sort of documents should I scan?

Thing is, I don't know why they're bothering taking me to court when it's clear I've got no money (no property, on benefits etc) - what could the judge decide to take from me to give to them?

And what about the inland revenue debt? Surely that should come first?

Many thanks again.

Hi

The issue for you is not whether they have any point in taking you to court but whether they "should" be able to ;-)

Documents you should scan? Everything you possibly can... do you know how to blot out your personal details?

I went down to the post to pick up the registered letter and turns out wasn't from Bryan Carter at all, but a parcel related to work!

That means they still haven't supplied me with the Credit card agreement and related documents - but I have to fill in the Allocation Questionnaire and have it with the Court by 6th April - which means posting it registered mail tomorrow. Any advice you can offer as to what I should put in all those boxes much appreciated - Many thanks

Why do you need to post it tommorrow? There is still a substantial part of the week to get the docs through from them. Have you tried to call them to find out where the docs are?

The AQ is not "crucial" to your case... it's simply a questionnaire on how you want the claim handled.

That said if you do not get ANY docs from BC you can request them in the AQ.

Hi PPC, just wanted to add that at this stage and given your, forgive me, uncertainty about how these matters work you'll need to follow the good directions given by VJohn as quickly as possible, both now and in the immediate future ;).

From the limited info on here already it appears as if BC might be doing their usual, however that still means you need to robustly defend their claim and to do that you need paperwork. Of course if they can't provide certain paperwork that's in your favour too but time is fairly short and would hate to see you getting a raw deal when you might have had every opportunity to defend successfully.

Now I've posted on here I'll be kept up to date on your thread so will follow this closely and assist where I can. Keep us posted!

Looking at your overall situation, have you considered bankruptcy? Or is there any possibility that the Revenue might make you bankrupt (they're not particularly imaginitive when it comes to debt enforcement and bankruptcy is still their default course of action)?

If you don't own any substantial assets, work in a sensitive profession such as financial services or have a landlord who might evict you for it (most will not), bankruptcy can be a relatively hassle free way to get rid of all your debts.

The main drawbacks are:-

The cost - £360 for the deposit even if you are on benefits although you should qualify for exemption from the additional court fee of £150 if you are on income support (this is why the Revenue might be doing you a favour if they were considering bankruptcy)

Credit file - even though most people are discharged after a year (you have to have done something like gambling or deliberately incurring debts prior to the bankruptcy for it to last any longer) the bankruptcy remains on your credit file for six years. However, any Defaults or CCJ's registered would also be on there for six years and have nearly as much effect.

Not all debts can be included - common exclusions are student loans, court fines and maintenance or CSA payments.

You cannot be a company director - it sounds as though you are/were self-employed so this could be an issue if you operate a limited company.

Your bank account may be frozen - when your bank first finds out you are bankrupt your accounts will usually be frozen so it is wise to move any regular payments in and out of the account of someone you can trust so you still have access to your money. Generally the account will be unfrozen when the official receiver has checked you don't have millions stashed away and given permission but it can cause problems with paying bills etc.

Just a suggestion for an alternative way of dealing with things without having to defend a potential 10 claims from various creditors. If you would like more information the insolvency service website is very helpful (although not always easy to navigate):-

www.insolvency.gov.uk

Alternatively you might just want a look at the specific leaflets relating to personal bankruptcy:-

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/guidetobankruptcy.pdf

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/howtopetition.pdf

Good luck with everything.

KC :)