I found a bone/tooth like object in my Tesco meat balls

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3979 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

it is absolutely outrageous. it looks like a tooth broken in half. it is about 1x0.5x0.2 cm in size. its hard like your normal bone, it's more white on one side and and the other is sort of reddish/grey.

it was in the middle of one from those uncooked meatball pack. i took a picture of it on my plate of pasta and had it wrapped by a tissue. Shall I just bring it to a local store and ask for a full explanation?

Complaining to the retailer should be the first point of call with any complaint. After all, if they don't know there is a problem, how can they rectify it?

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

Don't give it to the retailer. You will never see it again.

Send it to Trading Standards.

You should contact Tesco with the picture but tell them that the piece is with TS

Write to the retailer including photos of the tooth.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

thanks everyone for the advice

posted something similar in another consumer-related websites n those people actually suggested that there is no surprise to find a piece of bone in a meat product... im talking about a possible human tooth here.

Edited by haemogoblin2

Regardless of whether its tooth or bone, the manufacturer has a duty of care to you, and if it was bone (unless there is a warning on the box saying there may be bones that could cause you to choke) they have still been negligent in that duty.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

one of the reasons i tend to get meat and things from a local butcher i trust

then again saying that its not just meat ive had shards of glass in a tin of tesco's mushy peas before

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

It all depends what is stated on the packaging, I mean you get warnings now on packets of peanuts "Caution this product contains nuts" so if it states it may contain bone the your stuffed basically

Meat does come from animals!! and animlas have bones!!

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

thanks everyone for the advice

posted something similar in another consumer-related websites n those people actually suggested that there is no surprise to find a piece of bone in a meat product... im talking about a possible human tooth here.

"possibly" is the key word here. As one of my favourites doctors on TV would say: "if you hear the sound of hooves and whinnying, think horse, not zebra". In the middle of meatballs, what is is most likely to be is... animal bone, not human tooth. Bearing in mind that the meat is ground finely, a shard of cow bone could be that small.

The first thing to do would be to check the packaging. If it contains something like "may contain bones..." then unless it IS a tooth, then you have little recourse. You can take the offending material to your dentist or to your butcher, or even a biology teacher if you know one, they should be able to help. In fact, even Google might be your friend here, my biology days are long past, but I'm pretty sure that the internal structure of a bone and of a tooth as well as appearance etc are very different even to the naked eye. In fact (thinking back as far as I can here), I would venture that the reddish/grey would be indicative of bone marrow, something you wouldn't get with a tooth, but like I said, these are hazy memories.

Which is very reasonable as peanuts are not nuts.

pod of the peanut vine containing usually 2 nuts or seeds:rolleyes:

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

pod of the peanut vine containing usually 2 nuts or seeds:rolleyes:

Nevertheless, it is a legume - like a pea or a bean - rather than a nut.

The peanut, or groundnut (Arachis hypogaea), is a species in the legume "bean" family (Fabaceae)

i have to agree with some of the above in that you often find tooth looking pieces of bone in minced meat especially the cheaper packs so see no reason for beatballs to be any different.

You need it checked out to be certain.

Don't give it to the retailer. You will never see it again.

Send it to Trading Standards.

You should contact Tesco with the picture but tell them that the piece is with TS

yes do not give it to retailer,,get trading standards

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Had to reply as I too found a tooth like object in a meatball i purchased from asda the other day. I swore blind it was a tooth, I'm sure now though after reading the comments that its more likely to be bone.

Roz

It's more likely to be a finger tip than a tooth.

But still far more likely to be a chip of rib than anything else.

I would be slightly more surprised to find good quality meat.

Outrageous? Not really. You're buying a mass produced low-end product after all.